TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Loud Squeak

I have had my Shelby for about 2 months now and there is a very noticeable squeak in the rear that I can even make squeak just by pushing the back of the car down. What would your first guess be so if I put it up on a lift I can know where to look right away and have parts ready. Has anyone else experienced this?

On the wife's Shelby GT the rear sway bar bushings would squeak going over bumps. I tried greasing them and they were quiet for awhile but the noise would soon come back. I ended up replacing the bushings and using green grease and they been quiet for over a year. 

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 9:53 PM, KOBRA2848 said:

On the wife's Shelby GT the rear sway bar bushings would squeak going over bumps. I tried greasing them and they were quiet for awhile but the noise would soon come back. I ended up replacing the bushings and using green grease and they been quiet for over a year. 

Mark

Yeah we figured out it was the bushings. They are pretty bad. Really need to get them replaced lol

On September 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Bishop #0447 said:

Yeah we figured out it was the bushings. They are pretty bad. Really need to get them replaced lol

Make sure you use some heat and a good Allen wrench to remove the screws from the end links. Mine were a bitch to remove to replace the bushing. I used green grease and it's been over a year and they are still quiet. 

Mark

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

Polyurethane bushings, as used on the Shelby GT's, need to be greased/lubed at least twice a year. Do not use regular petroleum based chassis grease but rather specialized polyurethane grease, usually it is a silicone based grease.

Steve

Thanks Steve, learn something every day. Not sure if my shop's been doing that. I'll get some teflon and/or silicon spray or lube. And I'm open to product suggestions if anyone has used something specific that they liked?

34 minutes ago, BlackSGT said:

Thanks Steve, learn something every day. Not sure if my shop's been doing that. I'll get some teflon and/or silicon spray or lube. And I'm open to product suggestions if anyone has used something specific that they liked?

If you perform a Google search for Polyurethane Bushing Lube you will find it for sale on Amazon, Summit, Jegs, RockAuto, etc. I don't have any brand suggestions other than going with a name brand product as compared to Billy Bob' Backyard Honey in a jar.

Steve

On February 5, 2019 at 3:44 PM, BlackSGT said:

The grease I used on mine I purchased at Advance Auto and the brand was called Green Grease. I replaced my bushings in August 2017 and they are still quiet. Before replacing my bushings I wrapped the bar with Teflon tape and it would be quiet for a little while before the noise would come back. 

Mark

On 2/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, SAI-Steven said:

Polyurethane bushings, as used on the Shelby GT's, need to be greased/lubed at least twice a year. Do not use regular petroleum based chassis grease but rather specialized polyurethane grease, usually it is a silicone based grease.

Steve

Steve, can you do a graphite or kind lubricant as well?

As SAI Steve mentioned earlier, one should use a Grease designed for Polyurethane. There are many Silicone based Greases that will work and that are compatible with Polyurethane. Someone above mentioned  that they used “Green Grease” from Advanced Auto and they had no squeaks. Just because they had no squeaks doesn’t mean it is compatible. Green Grease is mentioned as having a synthetic “mixed oil” base. DO NOT USE IT.  You might not have any squeaks,  but It will degrade your polyurethane bushings because it is oil based. They say synthetic but that means synthetic petroleum based.

There is a company called Powerflex that makes PolyEurathane Bushings. They sell small tubes of a silicone lubricant that also has PTFE (Teflon) in it and it is  compatible with Polyurethanes. Part #PCG1. Its $1.99 for a small tube. Link below:

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/product/pcg1-powerflex-ptfe-silicon-grease-1443

I purchased DuPont Silicone Lubricant with Teflon Fluoro Polymer. I'll have the bushings checked and lubricated in the spring. If worn I'll get new ones. Thanks for everyone's info.  My Apology's to the OP for semi-hijacking.

1 hour ago, BlackSGT said:

I purchased DuPont Silicone Lubricant with Teflon Fluoro Polymer. I'll have the bushings checked and lubricated in the spring. If worn I'll get new ones. Thanks for everyone's info.  My Apology's to the OP for semi-hijacking.

Is that an aerosol,liquid or grease?

12 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Is that an aerosol,liquid or grease?

The Dupont website says it comes in both an aerosol or liquid. While I'm sure it would temporarily quiet the squeak I'm not sure it has the staying power like a thick polyurethane grease would. Just a personal opinion and each owner can certainly choose what they feel is best for them.

Steve

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

The Dupont website says it comes in both an aerosol or liquid. While I'm sure it would temporarily quiet the squeak I'm not sure it has the staying power like a thick polyurethane grease would. Just a personal opinion and each owner can certainly choose what they feel is best for them.

Steve

Hi Steve, You are right about an aerosol or liquid only  temporarily quieting the squeak and probably wont stay in place as long as a grease would. The main reason I was asking about whether the Dupont Lubricant was an aerosol, liquid or grease was two fold.

1.      Like you, I saw that it was available in liquid and aerosol and both the Dupont Aerosol and Liquid mention it containing petroleum products/distillates in its MSDS. There for it probably isn’t a good idea to use it on polyurethane bushings either since petroleum containing lubricants can degrade or attack the polyurethane bushings.

2.     I didn’t see a “Dupont Lubricant” listed as a grease on their website.

Guess I should've waited for a few more responses lol. I have another use for the Dupont "liquid" anyway.

Went ahead and purchased 4 of the Powerflex poly-grease tubes you suggested in your link mhr1961.

Edited by BlackSGT

No problem, glad to help. I used to have a very detailed  print out of seal and bushing compatibility charts but couldn't find it to post,  so I just dug through some MSDS and spec sheets online. Good luck on getting rid of the "squeakers".

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, mhr1961 said:

As SAI Steve mentioned earlier, one should use a Grease designed for Polyurethane. There are many Silicone based Greases that will work and that are compatible with Polyurethane. Someone above mentioned  that they used “Green Grease” from Advanced Auto and they had no squeaks. Just because they had no squeaks doesn’t mean it is compatible. Green Grease is mentioned as having a synthetic “mixed oil” base. DO NOT USE IT.  You might not have any squeaks,  but It will degrade your polyurethane bushings because it is oil based. They say synthetic but that means synthetic petroleum based.

There is a company called Powerflex that makes PolyEurathane Bushings. They sell small tubes of a silicone lubricant that also has PTFE (Teflon) in it and it is  compatible with Polyurethanes. Part #PCG1. Its $1.99 for a small tube. Link below:

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/product/pcg1-powerflex-ptfe-silicon-grease-1443

Thanks for that Info...Just bought 5 tubes ...when in doubt..over lube...lol