TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery

johncola99

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, mhr1961 said:

yes, if your car sat on the lot long enough.

I think many 2007's sat for extended lengths of time, at the Ford dealerships with ADM's attached to the window sticker and in new owners garages as 500HP trophies. As owners we know that 3-4 weeks is about it with the background system energized and the "Theft" light steadily flashing in the instrument cluster, after that the battery will have a problem starting the car. I do not have an inside track to the SVE (Special Vehicle Engineers) who are left at Ford Performance, but I would guess that something was realized during that first year of production that caused this change? Was it the Ford technicians who had to put a jump box on the battery to start the car and they found the terminals to be close to the body? Was it too tight in and around the body and the passenger side hood hinge for jumper cable/jump box attachment? Were there owner complaints also?

One thing we know for sure, the BXT-40R is still readily available at a local Ford dealership right now, so it is not like the battery was changed to a BXT-96R because the BXT-40R was being phased out of the Motorcraft battery line-up.

Me personally, even though my 2008 came with a BXT-96R, as I took photos of earlier in this thread, I would like to change to the BXT-40R next time the battery needs to be replaced. It is not that I want to add an additional 5 pounds to the nose of my already heave GT500, but I keep my car on a Battery Tender and am careful "if" the car needs to jumper off. My only concern is my Shelby battery box/cover, if the BXT-40R does not fit within that cool looking cover.................it is a No-Go for the 40 series Motorcraft in my car.

R

Edited by Robert M