TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery

johncola99

19 hours ago, KOBRA2848 said:

Either battery will fit your car. After you remove the battery you will see some plastic tabs that center the battery side to side that are removable in case you put the 40 R instead of the 96 R. If you want to reuse your existing battery blanket you would have to keep the same battery size. Motorcraft and Interstate batteries come from the same manufacturing facility and on the 96 R size the Interstate battery is the same case color as the original and not green like most of there batteries. 

Mark

^^^^^Good info, thanks Mark.

R

I could take pictures of the bottom side of my original battery.......:camera:

What I would really like to do is go to my local Ford dealership and have my Ford parts friend pull both of these batteries out for a side-by-side comparison and take those pictures. They may also have a shipping scale there for weight compare?

R

Edited by Robert M

Why bother to do  that? batteries are built to a group standard. These group standards are required by manufacturers to reduce manufacturing costs  for suppliers and provide design envelopes for engineers to use when designing for battery placement. The dimensions and weights are readily available for these group standards on Google and thousands of auto parts stores.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, mhr1961 said:

Why bother to do  that? batteries are built to a group standard. These group standards are required by manufacturers to reduce manufacturing costs  for suppliers and provide design envelopes for engineers to use when designing for battery placement. The dimensions and weights are readily available for these group standards on Google and thousands of auto parts stores.

I was think that Ford could have something like these batteries built to "their specs" as they do on other items, but maybe not?

When I called my Ford parts friend, who sells Motorcraft batteries for Ford vehicles on a regular basis (both over the counter and shop replacements), and mentioned the BXT-40R, his first comment was "why would you want to put that little battery in your car"? <<He has just recently sold me a BXT-96R as a correct replacement for my 2008. I mentioned our discussion on here and so with that kind of comment from a Ford parts guy who is into this stuff 8 hours a day, I was kind of interested in what he is talking about, so a side-by-side comparo of these two current Ford batteries would be nice.

R

Edited by Robert M

I am confident that all ford part's dealer's and employee's do not know everything about ford part's. I have attached the battery spec chart. The 96r is smaller in dimension. It is available in 500cca and 590cca. I have bought that battery and returned it. The 40r is a BIGGER battery in size. He should have got off his a?? and compared the two. I did that. The 40r is the only battery recommended for 07 and 08 mustang shelby gt500. Look in the gt500 supplement handbook and it list's only the bxt-40r. That is the battery it left the factory with. They were all black with just the top black label as in my previous photo of my battery with the charger clamp on it. There were no red motorcraft sticker's on them. Battery Specification Chart 7-2018.pdf.

I really have done hour's, day's, week's, and month's of research on this battery info. I have alot of useless knowledge on this. Chatted with ford, motorcraft, interstate, and battery reconditoner's. I even did internet research in europe and found they put the 40r in 2007 maverick's.

16 hours ago, johncola99 said:

I am confident that all ford part's dealer's and employee's do not know everything about ford part's. I have attached the battery spec chart. The 96r is smaller in dimension. It is available in 500cca and 590cca. I have bought that battery and returned it. The 40r is a BIGGER battery in size. He should have got off his a?? and compared the two. I did that. The 40r is the only battery recommended for 07 and 08 mustang shelby gt500. Look in the gt500 supplement handbook and it list's only the bxt-40r. That is the battery it left the factory with. They were all black with just the top black label as in my previous photo of my battery with the charger clamp on it. There were no red motorcraft sticker's on them. Battery Specification Chart 7-2018.pdf.

I really have done hour's, day's, week's, and month's of research on this battery info. I have alot of useless knowledge on this. Chatted with ford, motorcraft, interstate, and battery reconditoner's. I even did internet research in europe and found they put the 40r in 2007 maverick's.

While the BTX40R may be listed in the Manual as you state, that doesn’t mean that all 2007/2008 GT500’s came from the factory with the BTX40R. This is evident from multiple posts on this site as well as others that show their OEM BATTERY was INSTALLED as a BTx96R-590. Either battery will work. Some battery charts show both batteries acceptable for the 2007/2008 GT500. In fact if it were me I would use the BTX96R-590. Its going to give you pretty much the same thing as the BTX-40R but it the BTX 96R-590 is going to shave about 5 pounds of dead weight  off the front of an already nose heavy car.

If you go out to the Official Ford parts website and search under “2007 Mustang Battery” it gives you the following results:  

Battery Part #: BXT40R (40)

·        2005 - 2007, Mustang, Liter:4.6, Cylinder(s):8, BoreIn:3.55, StrokeIn:3.54, Tested Tough Max, BCI Group: 40R, CCA: 590, OE CCA: 590, OEM BCI Group: 40R

·        2007 - 2007, Mustang, Liter:5.4, Cylinder(s):8, BoreIn:3.55, StrokeIn:4.17, Tested Tough Max, BCI Group: 40R, CCA: 590, OE CCA: 590, OEM BCI Group: 40R

and then search under “2008 Mustang Battery” it lists

BTX96R-590 as the battery for all Mustangs made from 06/25/2007 - 06/27/2014, Mustang .

So apparently, as myself and others have stated previously , there was at some point a changeover  made in production (most likely as of 6/25/2007 as shown above), otherwise there wouldn’t be multiple pictures posted by multiple people on multiple threads  and other mustang forums online showing that their GT500’s did indeed ship from the factory with the BTX-96R-590.

While you may think the guy behind the counter sat on his ass, he was probably looking at a chart that showed recommended batteries (or acceptable equals) and if you asked him to get off his ass and bring out the two batteries for comparison when you can simply look at chart with group standard dimensions, weights, CCA etc, ……..then most likely this image  is what he is going to be thinking of doing.......

Image result for bruce lee gifs

1 hour ago, mhr1961 said:

While the BTX40R may be listed in the Manual as you state, that doesn’t mean that all 2007/2008 GT500’s came from the factory with the BTX40R. This is evident from multiple posts on this site as well as others that show their OEM BATTERY was INSTALLED as a BTx96R-590. Either battery will work. Some battery charts show both batteries acceptable for the 2007/2008 GT500. In fact if it were me I would use the BTX96R-590. Its going to give you pretty much the same thing as the BTX-40R but it the BTX 96R-590 is going to shave about 5 pounds of dead weight  off the front of an already nose heavy car.

If you go out to the Official Ford parts website and search under “2007 Mustang Battery” it gives you the following results:  

Battery Part #: BXT40R (40)

·        2005 - 2007, Mustang, Liter:4.6, Cylinder(s):8, BoreIn:3.55, StrokeIn:3.54, Tested Tough Max, BCI Group: 40R, CCA: 590, OE CCA: 590, OEM BCI Group: 40R

·        2007 - 2007, Mustang, Liter:5.4, Cylinder(s):8, BoreIn:3.55, StrokeIn:4.17, Tested Tough Max, BCI Group: 40R, CCA: 590, OE CCA: 590, OEM BCI Group: 40R

and then search under “2008 Mustang Battery” it lists

BTX96R-590 as the battery for all Mustangs made from 06/25/2007 - 06/27/2014, Mustang .

So apparently, as myself and others have stated previously , there was at some point a changeover  made in production (most likely as of 6/25/2007 as shown above), otherwise there wouldn’t be multiple pictures posted by multiple people on multiple threads  and other mustang forums online showing that their GT500’s did indeed ship from the factory with the BTX-96R-590.

While you may think the guy behind the counter sat on his ass, he was probably looking at a chart that showed recommended batteries (or acceptable equals) and if you asked him to get off his ass and bring out the two batteries for comparison when you can simply look at chart with group standard dimensions, weights, CCA etc, ……..then most likely this image  is what he is going to be thinking of doing.......

Image result for bruce lee gifs

Since my 2008 did not come with a 40R and others have stated their 2008's did not come with a 40R, nor do they see any information in their 2008 GT500 literature mentioning any battery other than the 96R, why was the 40R not used after the first (one year) of 2007? The 40R is still in production today, why did the 96R come into play in the first place leaving the 40R basically a one year/first year only battery in the GT500? <<<Reminds me on the 2007 only harmonic balancer and the 2007 only trans. cross member with exhaust hangers.....There was a reason why it changed......but why? Production changes are made for a reason, I have never heard of Ford (or any other manuf.) making a production change for no reason. If the 40R would have been discontinued, that would be a Great reason, but it is still here.

R

Edited by Robert M

4 hours ago, johncola99 said:

I also went to ford part's and they list the 40r for hi performance.

No. Part # Description List Price Price  
1 BXT-40-R Battery 12

W/ HI-PERFORMANCE

The link you show above when you click on it takes you to Tasca's site,  not Ford's Parts site. I was referencing what was published on Ford's site and they provide the changeover date, which by the way also coincides with some of the pictures of people have posted of the BTX-96R. As has been stated multiple times before ,and with photos provided....there were 2 batteries used in the 2007/2008 era GT500 and either one will work. Nobody is fired up. People have simply been posting data and photographic evidence showing that there were 2 different batteries installed in the 2007/2008 era GT500....both will work....no matter what your supplement says. The Battery Choice is yours to make......this topic is officially flogged........Do you want to keep beating the horse or is there a need to move on to cows now?............:)

Edited by mhr1961

no need to apologize, the input is appreciated, somewhere many years from now,  this kind of information may be important to a collector who is trying to do a restoration or track down an original battery or battery info , so much was lost in the very early days of mustang production , so it is good to have people who pay attention to details. Was just kidding about the beating dead cows thing......sometimes wry humor doesn't translate well over the internet.........:)....

I still would like to know why Ford made the change........there was a reason.........

I think this is a great discussion, any of this type of information is important for the future collector.

The 1993 and 1995 Cobra R's also had some battery differences, it seems that there were a couple of vendors for Ford Motorcraft batteries and some had labels and some had molded letters on the case, and then a couple of size differences also.............Those batteries I did picture document.

R

Edited by Robert M

On 8/31/2018 at 11:19 AM, Robert M said:

I'm on with my local Ford parts dept. right now, he has 2 BXT-40R's in stock.

He is looking through the original Ford applications beginning in 1995 thru current, Contour, Mystic, Cougar, Escape........all the way to now Transit. He says that there are no Mustang applications listed in the Ford documentation for the 40 series and that the current BXT-96R has the exact same 590 rating as the 40.

I had not paid much attention, but apparently the BXT-96R has been upgraded over the years from it's original 500 as shown in my pictures to a current 590. I have a Shelby cover on my battery currently, so I can not verify the label information.

019.jpg

R

Is  it  the same size as the 40 series?

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:01 PM, shelby001 said:

Is  it  the same size as the 40 series?

I was on the phone with the Ford parts guy. The other posters on here have shown documentation that the 40 is larger in size. My Ford parts friend seemed to think it was smaller, but he was apparently mistaken.

R

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, shelby001 said:

You better get the number for the battery tray also.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, shelby001 said:

You better get the number for the battery tray also.

^^^^I'm not sure how this double quoted?.......but anyway........

For some reason I was under the impression that a plastic spacer was used in the tray when the smaller 96R battery was installed? I did not remember any sort of spacer in my 2008 tray, but I assumed I missed it when I replaced my original 96R...... 

If Ford also changed the tray, that sounds like more that "using up inventory" of extra battery stock during 2008-2010 when times were hard. If the tray is also different, there was a reason for this change, throwing in an "extra/over stock" battery is one thing, but also changing the tray? There is more to this story than I think most have researched beyond...............Yes, the battery was bigger in 2007, that is a minor detail with a broader story behind this production change.

Knowing how close my 96R battery terminals are to the firewall/cowl pinch weld and hearing that the 40R is an even larger battery in this same area, how close are those terminals to the metal body? That would be something to compare. Your average owner "may" have to connect battery cables to their GT500, was contact with the firewall/cowl metal a possible issue? <<Just asking, like I said, there was a reason to spend the additional engineering $$$ to make this production change.

Also note, eventually the terminals were turned toward the front, like in 2010 or 2011. <<At that point, the battery wiring harness would also have to be redesigned.

R

Edited by Robert M

15 hours ago, Robert M said:

^^^^I'm not sure how this double quoted?.......but anyway........

For some reason I was under the impression that a plastic spacer was used in the tray when the smaller 96R battery was installed? I did not remember any sort of spacer in my 2008 tray, but I assumed I missed it when I replaced my original 96R...... 

If Ford also changed the tray, that sounds like more that "using up inventory" of extra battery stock during 2008-2010 when times were hard. If the tray is also different, there was a reason for this change, throwing in an "extra/over stock" battery is one thing, but also changing the tray? There is more to this story than I think most have researched beyond...............Yes, the battery was bigger in 2007, that is a minor detail with a broader story behind this production change.

Knowing how close my 96R battery terminals are to the firewall/cowl pinch weld and hearing that the 40R is an even larger battery in this same area, how close are those terminals to the metal body? That would be something to compare. Your average owner "may" have to connect battery cables to their GT500, was contact with the firewall/cowl metal a possible issue? <<Just asking, like I said, there was a reason to spend the additional engineering $$$ to make this production change.

Also note, eventually the terminals were turned toward the front, like in 2010 or 2011. <<At that point, the battery wiring harness would also have to be redesigned.

R

What do know about these batteries is Ford used these two different size batteries in `07  & the trays were different because of the two different battery size why I don`t know, could be a product change after the run of BXT 40-R.