TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP Rear Shocks

GaryF

Looking for replacement rear shocks for my 2006 GT-H (got one that's leaking). They are part of the FRPP kit that Shelby used when they modified the car and put the lowering springs on, sway, etc. (see photo of what I assume are the correct ones - not my car but same set-up).  I cannot for the life of me find any place where they sell just the rear shocks (same blue ones) that were used. Seems that you have to buy the front struts too, which I don't need. I figured I should replace both rears at the same time (vs. just one).  I also don't know if they are the adjustable type, or non-adjustable.  Assume the latter. Any help would be appreciated. 

Ford Racing Rear Dampers.jpg

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:21 PM, BlackSGT said:

Found a pair of new OEM Ford performance Dynamic rear shocks (part # M-18001-AR) on e-bay for just $79.00 - the ones used in the original build as part of the FRPP lowering kit. A lot cheaper than what Summit Racing was selling them for!  :D

Maybe this will help some?

Found a pair of new OEM Ford performance Dynamic rear shocks (part # M-18001-AR) on e-bay for just $79.00 - the ones used in the original build as part of the FRPP lowering kit. A lot cheaper than what Summit Racing was selling them for!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 7:51 AM, ChicagoChris said:

Can/Could these be rebuilt? 

Like tires, shocks/struts should be replaced in pairs.

Yes I suppose "technically" they can be rebuilt but the price to rebuild them would not be cheap and that's if you can find someone to rebuild them. They would need to be cut open and just like the original manufacturing process, they would need to be welded closed.

In regards to using a 10 year old NOS FRPP rear shock, I would have no problem doing so. Shock seals wear from use and not from sitting. Sure if the shocks were stored outside of the box with the seals exposed to UV sunlight & high levels of ozone there could be a chance of the seal failing prematurely but just think of how many Shelby's are out there in car collections that have shocks on them that are not leaking. None of the shocks on Carroll's cars are leaking but that is because they are low mile cars. If shock seals leak because of age then why are we not replacing shocks on Carroll's personal cars and on cars in our Heritage center. And yes there are always exceptions.

Steve

• 10 months later...

This past summer I replaced my shocks and struts from my 50K mile Hertz car with Koni Orange.  Prior to installing them, I removed the stickers and painted them Ford blue.  Nobody would notice they were changed unless they were hard looking for evidence as such. I upgraded to the GT500 shock mounts and upgraded the Ford Racing jounce bumpers.  The car is still sporty and stiff, but it's much less harsh than it used to be.  I was not a fan of the Ford Racing shocks and struts that were used on these cars.  I did also retain the K springs, which I do like for the sweet stance that's achieved by them.