TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Little Red is Found?

David Hawkins

• 2 months later...

I know I am late to this thread, but wanted to add that Little Red was the inspiration for the California Special. They were of course both coupes. The CS was advertised as the "poor man's Shelby" with design cues directly from Little Red. There is some really good documented history of Little Red in the CS Registry book. Little Red was shipped to Detroit by Lee Gray (who was in California) to get Iaccoca to ok the limited build CS. I lucked out and got the Shelby blueprints for the CS parts that came from Little Red cues. Engineering sign off and all (not copy's...the real things). I wrote about them and Little Red in Mustang Times. I also have some rare photos of Little Red, and a Shelby coupe, in Detroit on turntable, prototype that later became the CS.  (Of course the Shelby coupe was never made...that is part of what makes CS part Shelby and part Mustang that came directly from Ford.) I had a concour de elagence CS at one time. It was featured on cover of MT and I had Iaccoca signed the mag for me. He remembered Little Red and connection to CS. (this amazed me as he has done so many things...but could remember these details). I also wrote and published in MT some articles about Little Red and the CS history.  BTW, Lee Gray was still alive and told a story that Bill Cosby borrowed it - all this is in the CS Registry book. Hardback color nicely published about 12 years ago. That was a long time ago, and I sold my CS to build a 35 Ford traditional hot rod that I raced. The CS is in Australia now, and the 35 Ford is in Switzerland now. Because of it's history that convinced Iaccoca to build the CS, I would believe Kevin Marti 95%. The other 5% would be for anyone's human error. I also paid him to write a VIN report for me about the CS. He knew it and Little Red very well. I state this only on Kevin's reputation if he agrees with this recent find.  I could write chapters on this car, but will stop here....

I only have my humble 07 Shelby GT-H convertible these days. So, still have Shelby close to the heart...who knows where in the world it may wind up. Right now my kids want it to stay in family. So, until I'm dead (or senile - quite likely) it stays here until they come get it....

Edited by case12
Add info