TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Iconic Shelby GT returns to the Shelby American lineup

ForumAdmin

SHELBY AMERICAN TO LAUNCH REIMAGINED SHELBY GT FOR 2019 MODEL YEAR DURING WOODWARD DREAM CRUISE

• Iconic Shelby GT returns to the Shelby American lineup with public introduction inside Ford Motor Company’s “Mustang Alley” during Woodward Dream Cruise
  • Fastback, convertible, manual and automatic transmission options available
  • Based on Ford Mustang GT, the 480 horsepower (estimated) sports car will be available through dealers in North America and mod shops worldwide starting just over $60,000
  • Shelby GT-H “Heritage” Edition celebrates the roots of the Shelby GT in a rental program

Las Vegas – August 17, 2018 – The iconic Shelby GT, one of the most important cars in Shelby American’s history, has returned for the 2019 model year. Executives with Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK), will introduce both fastback and convertible models of the sports car to the public at 11 am on Saturday, August 18, 2018, inside Ford Motor Company’s “Mustang Alley” during the Woodward Dream Cruise. The Shelby GT will be available through select dealers in North America and mod shops worldwide.

“Launched for the 2007 model year, the first generation Shelby GT is one of the most popular vehicles in our history,” said Joe Conway, Co-CEO of Carroll Shelby International and CEO of Shelby American. “Available through North American Ford showrooms, it delivered sizzling performance in a refined car that could be driven every day. We’re returning this iconic pony car to dealerships for the 2019 model year. We are pleased to once again unveil this newest version alongside our close friends at Ford Motor Company during the Woodward Dream Cruise.”

Like the first generation cars, the 2019 Shelby GT combines terrific handling with strong V8 power, a muscular exhaust note and handsome good looks. The naturally aspirated version derives its additional horsepower and torque from the new exhaust system. Shelby worked with Ford Performance to tailor the suspension and maximize the car’s capabilities without sacrificing ride quality. The exterior features proprietary bodywork and stylish new wheels, while Shelby touches can be found inside the interior. Every Shelby GT will receive a Shelby serial number and be included in the official Shelby Registry.

The Shelby GT can be ordered as a fastback or convertible in any color available from Ford. Drivetrain options include a 6-speed manual or a 10-speed automatic transmission. The naturally aspirated car will have an estimated 480 horsepower. A Ford Performance supercharger that can be added to boost output to 700+ horsepower will be available later upon emission certification. Including the base Ford Mustang GT, the car will start at $61,345.

“The 2019 Shelby GT exudes serious sex appeal,” said Gary Patterson, Shelby American president. “We designed a gorgeous car to make any drive an adventure with thrilling performance and dynamic handling. The Shelby GT can gobble up miles on a road trip or rip up the corners on the track. It is equally fun cruising to the beach or to the office. Plus, this is the only naturally aspirated V8 Shelby car that can be optioned in convertible and with an automatic transmission. Enthusiasts will love to drive it all day, every day.”

The 2019 model year Shelby GT can trace its roots to the 2006 and 2007 Shelby GT-H rental cars. That is why an optional Shelby GT-H, or “Heritage” version is available in either black or white with gold stripes and optional gold wheels. This trim level celebrates the inspiration for the Shelby GT with additional suspension upgrades and a unique front fascia.

The roster of companies who collaborated with Shelby is impressive. The exhaust was created with Borla while Ford Performance was deeply involved in the development of the suspension.

“The hunger by owners to personalize the first generation Shelby GT led to the formation of our Shelby Performance Parts division in 2007,” said Vince LaViolette, Shelby American Vice President of Operations and Head of Development. “So while our team was creating the 2019 Shelby GT, we wanted to offer a lengthy list of parts that empowered owners to customize their car. They can make the Shelby a canyon carver, a grand tourer, boulevard bruiser or a track king. This is truly the most versatile car in the current Shelby lineup.”

The day after the two cars are unveiled at the Woodward Dream Cruise, the Shelby GT fastback and convertible will be displayed at the Mustang Memories car show at Ford Headquarters. The pair will be parked next to the 2018 Shelby Super Snake, a Shelby F-150 truck, a widebody Shelby GT350 and other current production cars from Shelby American.

Shelby American will build the Shelby GT in its Las Vegas facility for distribution through select Ford dealers in North America. Affiliated mod shops and dealers will offer the car in Europe, the Middle East, South Africa, Australia and Asia. Dealers and mod shops worldwide will begin taking orders for the Shelby GT on August 20, 2018. To learn more visit www.Shelby.com or talk with a Shelby sales representative by calling (702) 942-7325 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. MST.

About Shelby American, Inc.
Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK), manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company builds authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA, 289 street car, Daytona Coupe and Shelby Series 2 component vehicles; it offers the Shelby GT, 1000, Super Snake, and GT post-title packages for the 2005-2019 Ford Mustang. Shelby American also offers the Shelby Raptor, Shelby F-150 Super Snake and Shelby F-150 trucks. Heritage cars include the continuation 1965 Shelby GT350 competition model, 1967 Ford Shelby Super Snake and 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR. For more information, visit www.Shelby.com.

Media Contact: Scott Black | 214.520.3430 ext. 3030 | sblack@tprm.com

###

SAI20959.jpg

2019 Shelby GT Features

Performance

• Shelby GT deep draw hood with hood vents
  • Staggered Shelby spec 20” wheels with high performance tires
  • Ford Performance springs
  • Ford Performance sway bars
  • Shelby by Borla cat-back exhaust
  • Caster camber plates

Exterior & Interior

• Shelby upper grille
  • Rocker Panels
  • Rocker wings
  • Rear spoiler
  • Tail light panel
  • Le Mans style striping
  • Driver and passenger Side stripes
  • Emblems and badging
  • CSM numbered dash plaque and engine plate
  • Engine caps
  • Shelby American tech signature manufacturing plate
  • Embroidered floor mats

Options

• Shelby GT-H (Heritage) package which includes these standard features
    • Black with gold or White with gold color accents
    • Shelby front fascia assembly
    • Ford Performance front struts
    • Ford Performance rear shocks
    • Shelby by Borla cat back exhaust
    • Lighted door sill plates
    • Shelby puddle lamps
    • Shelby GT-H embroidered floor mats
  • Shelby Premium Package
    • Shelby front fascia assembly
    • Ford Performance front struts
    • Ford Performance rear shocks
    • Shelby by Borla cat back exhaust
    • Lighted door sill plates
  • Shelby Heavy Duty Package
    • Extreme radiator
    • Coolant Tank
    • Wheel Studs
    • Performance Half-shafts
  • Gold wheels
  • Painted stripes
  • Short throw shifter
  • Shelby leather interior
  • Shelby car cover
  • Ford Performance Supercharger (availability TBD)

SAI20947.jpg

SAI20948.jpg

I just saw someone on Facebook share info about this. At first I thought it was fake. I don't know what Shelby or Ford or whoever was thinking, but I think it's WRONG to use GT-H and call it "Heritage." The H in Shelby GT-H has always been for Hertz. The black and gold paint scheme and GT-H name should only mean one thing... the Hertz Rent A Racer, the 1,001 GT350Hs they made in 1966, the 500 GT-H coupes in 2006, the 500 GT-H convertibles in 2007, and the 171 GT-H coupes in 2016. 

Don't like this idea at all.

I am glad they are returning to the original roots.  I have real concerns on the GTH going the same way as the GTE.   Should be calling these cars Shelby GT only and just option the additional Heritage color combo.  I do like the colors.

GG

Is this V3 or V4 of the SGT, I'm loosing track....

I have to also agree, why the heck are they using the GT-H designation!? There's enough confusion trying to explain what a SGT vs a SGT-H. Then  add in the GTE, then the GTS, bla, bla, bla alphabet soup naming system. :doh:

I cant wait for one of these to show up at a cars and coffee and some rich ass old frat telling the story of buying his limited edition Rent-A-Racer...... :rant::rant2:

Oh by the way, love the cars looks... The new deep draw hood is awesome. ;)

I guess those of us who have the 2007 and 2008 SGTs have the "old" ones now.  Not quite how it felt when ours were new and folks compared our cars to those Mr. Shelby built in the 60's.  Hard to believe that ours are 10 to 11 years old at this point.  The new ones do look nice but I would not trade mine for a new one.  The 2007 and 2008 versions are brutally basic when compared to the current version of the Mustang with all of the refinements they have made to motors, suspension and electronics.  Vive la difference!

Jim

54 minutes ago, DrHawkeye said:

It doesn't sound to me like they're naming it "Heritage", but giving it a heritage designation for people who want that scheme.  Kinda like a legacy edition, remaking it, but not able to use the GT-H designation.

I think the H stands for Heritage on these cars...Should be Hertz!

35 minutes ago, BIKEBOY said:

My ‘07 SGT has been for sale for a couple months now to use the dough (and space) for a new DD.....

This new announcement just sealed the deal for me......NOT for sale anymore! 

I totally concur with Jim Clark! 

Great decision Chris! you would have missed that car as much or more than your GT-500.

Great to see the Shelby GT back! Every time I would see Gary or through email I kept asking him with you now in charge will we see the Shelby GT package come back as it was your best selling one and I am glad to see it back. My 2008 Shelby GT/SC is still my favorite Shelby I own!

Both cars really look good and the deep draw hood really sets it a part. I am sure Hertz owners will start bitching but I don't care just good to see this car back and I am sure they will probably kill off the GTE which was a bad idea and just a ripoff of the Shelby GT

I wish I knew earlier as I already bought a 2018 Mustang GT since Ford was killing off the Lightning Blue

Maybe 2020 Shelby GT with a supercharger

The black with gold stripe confusion started for me with the SA 50th Anniversary cars with that color combination.  But then Ford has done different generation "Heritage" paint schemes for the the Ford GT.  First the Gulf Oil scheme in 2005-6, then the black with pair of red strips for 2017 GT, then a new limited Heritage edition red with pair of white stripes.  I need a play book for all this!

Do love the Shelby GT come back though.  

18 minutes ago, SoCalSGT said:

"Shelby American will build the Shelby GT in its Las Vegas facility for distribution through select Ford dealers in North America."

So this will be a pre-title car,then?

No. 

It is just like the SS. Select dealers will send their cars to Shelby for the conversion or the individual can send his/her car. 

8 hours ago, slygray1 said:

Interesting. I know the 2007 and 2008 Shelby GT’s were sold at dealers around here pre title.

They were indeed, just as were the '65 and '66 versions.  Our 07's and 08's were reasonably priced for the times.  The new SGT is more than twice the cost of the 07's and 08's.  It will be up to the current buyers to decide if they are reasonably priced.  The reasonableness of the price has to be judged in the context of the bells and whistles that come with the 19's.  Our 07's and 08's don't have much in the way of bells and whistles compared to even the 18's, let alone the 19's best I can tell.

Jim

I have to agree with most everything you Guys have already said.   I wonder what will happen to the Shelby GTE program which is reported to be successful through the International Mod Shops (built to SA specs) but not as much here in the US market.  The GTE's were introduced in Sept of 2016, very soon thereafter, the Shelby GT's ceased production.

Nascarbilly

On 8/17/2018 at 12:20 PM, BIKEBOY said:

My ‘07 SGT has been for sale for a couple months now to use the dough (and space) for a new DD.....

This new announcement just sealed the deal for me......NOT for sale anymore! 

I totally concur with Jim Clark! 

Hey Chris, right on! I'm totally with you.     :thumbsup:     Later!     "GOOSE"       :peelout:

Chris don’t blame you for keeping her. They really are fun cars to drive. There will never be another one in my book. Those were amazing times when Carroll Shelby went back to ford. Full circle ⭕️ for sure. 

My only question is how can it be a hertz car if it's never been owned by hertz ? Rent a racer is a major theme and provenance that the hertz cars had. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

I think using the GT-H designation without Hertz involved is a huge mistake.  Making the car look like a Hertz car is even worse.  These post title cars are confusing enough for the public to understand.  Shelby just made it worse and in the process is irritating loyal Hertz enthusiasts and owners.  No doubt sticking their middle finger up at Hertz corporate as well.  I guess we'll now never see another Shelby Hertz car in the future.

Edited by ITHERTZ66

1 hour ago, ITHERTZ66 said:

I think using the GT-H designation without Hertz involved is a huge mistake.  Making the car look like a Hertz car is even worse.  These post title cars are confusing enough for the public to understand.  Shelby just made it worse and in the process is irritating loyal Hertz enthusiasts and owners.  No doubt sticking their middle finger up at Hertz corporate as well.  I guess we'll now never see another Shelby Hertz car in the future.

The more I think about this the more irritated I get!

I was kinda cool with it at first because it was a nice car, but now I'm realizing that Shelby American is destroying a Heritage, not creating one! 

You have to wonder how many dealers will jump on this, the SS and F150’s sat on lots for years, many are still on lots.  I’m assuming they must get some of the profit, that would give them an incentive to buy one for their inventory, otherwise it seems foolish to do so.  These are still going to be more expensive then a GT-350 and the GT500 is around the corner.

I like it a lot from the pictures, I would get a White Vert with Gold Stripes and I would keep it NA.

As far as Hertz loyalist I honestly don’t think they are too worried about that they still can’t sell under 200 cars from 2016, how many actual loyalist are there?  No offense to any on this forum, but there obviously aren’t many to speak of.  That said I agree the “H” shouldn’t be a part of this.  Call it heritage if you want, just lose the “H”.

Edited by carnut12

On 8/17/2018 at 9:48 AM, carnut12 said:

That white with Gold is Amazing!!!

I wonder how much it will be with Supercharger and stuff, based on the Base Price should be able to get one for $80K or so.

After thinking about it for a few days, I like the new Shelby GT. I like the white as well with gold stripes and yes.....gold wheels. I think I’d get the NA car as well with 480 hp is good enough for me.  The price tag at $66k and with a Shelby interior up grade at another $3k your looking at $70k for a NA car, that’s just too much. There will not be a huge run on these cars like the 2007-08 cars. 

Chris I think you maybe right by keeping your 2007 Shelby GT. My GT/SC Paxton car is looking a lot better especially with 2800 miles it is still brand new. 

Note: I wish they had different factory wheel packages on the GT350 instead of the old black Darth Vader look. Of course that is my opinion.

Edited by SWEDEMAN

9 hours ago, ITHERTZ66 said:

Agree. As a 2016 GT-H owner, I was always proud of the 50 year Black n Gold HERTZ heritage. We own our cars for that special reason. There are thousands and thousands of Shelby's made - all wonderful cars - but the Hertz population has always been small. Only 1,171 in the last 12 years. And to own one, you have to have it survive the rental journey. 

The Hertz owner understands this very well. We made a decision to stay in a small special group that had ONE meaning.

Brent 

12 hours ago, SWEDEMAN said:

After thinking about it for a few days, I like the new Shelby GT. I like the white as well with gold stripes and yes.....gold wheels. I think I’d get the NA car as well with 480 hp is good enough for me.  The price tag at $66k and with a Shelby interior up grade at another $3k your looking at $70k for a NA car, that’s just too much. There will not be a huge run on these cars like the 2007-08 cars. 

Chris I think you maybe right by keeping your 2007 Shelby GT. My GT/SC Paxton car is looking a lot better especially with 2800 miles it is still brand new. 

Note: I wish they had different factory wheel packages on the GT350 instead of the old black Darth Vader look. Of course that is my opinion.

Guess that's why I'm still partial to the 2011 run of wheels on the GT350's...

GT350 Wheels 006small.jpg

On 8/21/2018 at 10:12 AM, mach 1 1970 said:

Chris don’t blame you for keeping her. They really are fun cars to drive. There will never be another one in my book. Those were amazing times when Carroll Shelby went back to ford. Full circle ⭕️ for sure. 

My only question is how can it be a hertz car if it's never been owned by hertz ? Rent a racer is a major theme and provenance that the hertz cars had. 

Hey Slow Lane,   I totally agree with your comment on the Shelby GTs.    In my book also, there will never be another one quite like it with it's cool History bringing both Ford and Carroll Shelby together again and doing it one more time!!!!:thumbsup:    To quote Mr. Jim Clark; He states these cars are (brutally basic) and don't have all the bells and whistles that the new ones have and that he wouldn't trade his for a new one!    I wouldn't trade mine for a new one either because it still give me that seat of the pants feel that I'm in a very special car that Carroll had a big hand in making, and that I'm almost back in the early days!:)     But, to be brutally honest, the main reason I really like this car, is that every time I take it out it continues to put one Hell of a smile on my face, and then I'm "Sold"!!!:drool: LOL.     (J.M.O.).    P.S.   I really do like all the Shelbys and this was meant for no disrespect to anyone's Shelbys. It's just as simple as this, "This one's for me"!             "MONGOOSE"     :peelout: