TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2007 SGT Cold Air Intake

Hello All,

I'm the proud 2nd owner of a 2007 Shelby GT.  I like to do my own maintenance on my cars so I know it is done right.  My question is about the "Ford Racing" Cold Air Intake that was installed by Shelby on these particular cars.  Do I remove the filter and replace it, if so, where do I find the replacement?  The filter element is silver colored unlike the K & N filters which are orangeish-red.   I've heard that these filters may be removed and cleaned(?)  If that is the case how do I clean it.  I've seen some K & N filter cleaner in a spray bottle at the auto parts stores, is this compatible? 

By the way, I haven't waited 11 years to clean the intake, I've had the car for about 3 years and put about 1K miles on it.   Any suggestions or expert advice is much appreciated.  Thank you.

53 minutes ago, wchroustjr said:

Hello All,

I'm the proud 2nd owner of a 2007 Shelby GT.  I like to do my own maintenance on my cars so I know it is done right.  My question is about the "Ford Racing" Cold Air Intake that was installed by Shelby on these particular cars.  Do I remove the filter and replace it, if so, where do I find the replacement?  The filter element is silver colored unlike the K & N filters which are orangeish-red.   I've heard that these filters may be removed and cleaned(?)  If that is the case how do I clean it.  I've seen some K & N filter cleaner in a spray bottle at the auto parts stores, is this compatible? 

By the way, I haven't waited 11 years to clean the intake, I've had the car for about 3 years and put about 1K miles on it.   Any suggestions or expert advice is much appreciated.  Thank you.

It was made for Ford by Steeda and the filter was originally blue, clean it or  just to replace it with what ever makes you happy. i like to use the blue amsoil filters. I don’t remember the part # but not hard to figure out with a few measurements. 

I have heard there was two different filters put on our SGT's, a blue one and a reddish-orange one. One of them it supposed to be oiled (blue), the other not. Does anyone know any truth to that? I just remember Googling it a while back and had came across that but I installed a new intake and filter with the supercharger install so didn't end up cleaning the old filter. 

You don’t have to oil the blue one either but it is recommended. It all depends on how much air flow you want vs how much contamination you want to suck in to your engine. Filtration is always a tradeoff, air flow vs efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to start over with a new, fresh filter, Steeda still offers the original:

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-replacement-cone-filter-element-96-16-281-ste-100.html

If you want to clean your old filter, they also have the cleaning kit:

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Mustang-Air-Filter-Cleaning-Kit--Blue-Oil_p_8719.html