TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guest markham51

8 hours ago, Fat Boss said:

I'm thankful there's a handful of colors to choose from.  Personally, I wouldn't even consider a car that is yellow, orange, or lime anything.  But others seem to love them.

I am skeptical of the 800 colors in 55 years.  Quick math says that's just over 14 different colors every single year for 55 years.

Be skeptical no more Grasshoppah......814+ plus colors and counting in over 55 years of production. You can view them ALL, at the linky I am providing below. Enjoy!

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/all_mustang.shtml

14 minutes ago, Fat Boss said:

Wow.  I had no idea.  

I always seek to enlighten. You are now ready to exit the Temple of Mustang…… Now traverse the tunnel, lift the fiery cauldron with your forearms, and place it upon the sacred pedestal to open the door……….and don’t forget to fall with your forearms in the snow when you exit because that cauldron is frikkin' hot man……

https://youtu.be/HmF0RqazR_8

Edited by mhr1961

I started thinking about it and I'm back to being a skeptic!  For instance, if you look at the first many years of the Mustang you'll see Raven Black over and over.  I don't think you should count the EXACT same color more than once.  Frankly, you shouldn't count any versions of white more than once either.  :cool:

1 hour ago, Fat Boss said:

I started thinking about it and I'm back to being a skeptic!  For instance, if you look at the first many years of the Mustang you'll see Raven Black over and over.  I don't think you should count the EXACT same color more than once.  Frankly, you shouldn't count any versions of white more than once either.  :cool:

I agree that counting Raven Black (and the others used more than once) is giving an incorrect inflated number.  But if they have different names of white, then those are different shades and should count.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:25 AM, Fat Boss said:

On 1/31/2019 at 11:23 AM, DrHawkeye said:

I agree that counting Raven Black (and the others used more than once) is giving an incorrect inflated number.  But if they have different names of white, then those are different shades and should count.

Well, since some were skeptical of the 800 color offerings perhaps I should have clarified.This post may be a little long winded but sometimes skepticism is good and we all learn something in the process. Yes there have been 800+ color offerings over the 55+ years. Has there been 800+ different colors? Well that is sort of a yes and no answer. I will clarify further. In the early years there were sometimes as many as 20+ colors offered and each year after the first year of production the following model year had some repeat/carry over colors, usually 4 to 5 colors carried over 1,2 or 3 years or so, some colors were also revived at times. So when you do the math on the number of offerings in each year it does total well over 800 offerings as I stated. I never said “different colors”. Since there was slight misinterpretation of what I said and somebody said they shouldn’t count the “repeat” colors,  I went back in through a spreadsheet and extracted out the “repeat/ carryover”” standard factory colors. Now to define that extraction, sometimes a color was called something generic like “bright red” or “light blue” and it may have had 2 or 3 different paint codes depending on the year used,  so in that case,  I counted multiple colors for those “repeats" in name only because if the paint code is different then the shade of color can be different, but it wasn’t but a handful of colors that had similar paint codes. Capiche? In addition, there were a few colors that had different names in a given year but oddly had the same paint code but it was only a few so if the name was different I also counted the individual names, but again it was only just a few colors. My guess it was to “market” the car with a fancy or whimsical name…..So anywhoooo. I then did an alphabetical “sort” on my spreadsheet that cross referenced paint codes and after extracting out “repeats/carryover colors" and taking in to account the varying paint codes for the same named colors I ended up with a total of 397 different standard colors. Now, I want to point out that I didn’t do the original “counting” on the standard colors . I used a combination of a reputable article from Mustang Monthly and a published comprehensive Standard Ford Paint code chart for the Mustang years 1964 through 2019 as a cross reference. I do not pretend to be a “Marti Report” . Even Kevin Marti doesn’t have all Mustang Production records. If I recall correctly, he doesn’t have prior to 1967 nor after 1973 per his website, but recently I saw it mentioned on the net that he also now has the rights to the info that goes up through 1993 for Mustangs. In addition there was a fire at Ford in the summer of 1970 that destroyed a lot of production records and I do not know if some Mustang records were lost in the fire. So anywhoo, from available published information,  yes there has been over 800 color offerings when you add up the total number of colors offered each year. Then with the “repeat/carryover” colors extracted out the list comes up to a total of 397 different standard colors based on info I had available. That being said, In 1968 Ford offered a “custom color program” , reference Ford Publication ML-168, that offered an additional 250 different special color choices to dealers so they could order any color they wanted srayed at Ford for special promotions.  So when you add 397 from my extracted compilation, +250 custom colors offered from Ford  ML-168 colors, it gets you to a total of 647 Different Factory sprayed colors offered. Please be advised my list is not absolutely definitive but it is darn close. This info is what I could find in readily available access on the net and cross verified against some old Mustang books I have collected over the past 4 decades. Again, over the course of 55 years of Mustang Production there has been some Ford data lost to history and there were also many special programs over the past 55+ years that may not be listed here as I do not have the time or the inclination to spend hours or days doing the research, but it is conclusive that there has been over 800 color offerings as I originally stated and within those offerings over the past 55+ years there has been at least 647 different Ford factory sprayed colors offered. BUT WAIT THERE' S MORE!

Also not included in my above assessment, below are just a few of some additional programs that add to the “Different colors List offered and sprayed at the Ford Factory” :

1.The “Mystic” paint color that was part of the SVT Cobra Program has been several different Paint Formulations over the years and never the same per BASF.  Approximately 5 variations

2. 1966 “Silver Mink” Program which was a Mustang that was offered in the "Silver Mink" Thunderbird color

3. 1985 Special Program “Jalapena Red” and “Canyon Red” for Twister II Mustangs

4. The 1967 “Golden Nugget Special" painted in a color called “Deep Metallic Gold”.

5. There was also a special promotion by Ford called “Rainbow of Colors” between 1968 and 1969.  PPG put out a listing of 13 additional special Ford factory colors  offered in this Promotion on 1968 and 1969 models.

6. 1967 had some "Territorial" Special Models, one that came out was called a “Twister Secial” painted Cajun Red.

7. In 1967 there was a "Nebraska Centennial Special" promotion that came in special colors called Centennial Blue, Lincoln Green, Summer Wheat, and Big Red.

8. The 2012 Cobra Jet had a color called “Winner White” and the 2014 Cobra Jet was available in “Flat Black”

9. In 1967 Ford had a  marketing promotion with Tussy Cosmetics offering 3 different shades of “Tussey Pink”…….yes that is TUSSY with “T”, not a “P”. Approximately 10 cars were built.

Etc,etc,etc

So just in that short list above we can add another 33 different factory sprayed paint colors and that gets us up to over 680 different Factory sprayed colors offered over the past 55 years.  I could go on and on and probably get the list up close to or over 800 different colors, as there have been about 500 different special edition Mustangs made over the past 55 years ( and if you are skeptical of that too,  there is a published book about them). Not all special editions had special Factory colors though. I also have not included all the special Saleen, Shelby, Roush or other “Mod Shops” colors because to my knowledge some of those colors were factory and some were sprayed by the Mod Shops themselves. I am also not including any factory colors that were “shot” special for the Ford Family or other executives at the factory either. I have only included  FACTORY  sprayed special colors offered per published data and a few known Special Ford Editions that were made available to the public from spraying at Ford.

The entire point behind my original post was that Ford does listen to its customers, Ford  has quite likely offered far more different FACTORY sprayed paint colors on the Mustang than any other car built……... and despite a multitude of color offerings over the years some people are still going to complain. Hope this info was educational and that it cleared up the skepticism..

Ps: if anyone is still skeptical, I can PM you the spreadsheet and you can count it yourself……….or go do your own research……I am not in the habit of posting false information. When I post it is based on data and research……I’m am diving no deeper.  Apologies for going off topic, but heck, who stays on topic on TS anymore anyways ………

Back to talking about the new 2020 GT500.

Edited by mhr1961
spelling

So far most of the Ford Marketing is showing the 2020 GT500 decked out in the “Track Package”. Info about this particular package is being released first, most likely because Fords research shows that Track oriented people will pony up the money in the initial release to buy the latest and greatest avaiable. There apparently is also going to be a “Handling Package” that will be more oriented to street driving and drag strip people.

I have posted pictures of the two different packages below below so people can see the difference. The pics give a pretty good overall showing of the difference.

The Handling Package apparently is going to be available with a smaller “body attached” spoiler instead of a giant wing, and it also will have less aggressive aero in the front. Notice the “dive planes” around the front wheels/splitter area are missing on the Handling Package and you can see the small spoiler on the rear. Evidently Ford will still offer the option to put wings, dive planes and lighter carbon fiber wheels and other gizmos on the car if you still want them within the Handling Package. I am sure Ford will be releasing more photos of the Handling Package version in the near future. If I find more I will post them in this 2020 GT500 topic.

I’m not much of a “wing guy” unless it involves going down to my local Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings to order a basket of them. I would chose the 2020 GT500 on the top. To each his own. Enjoy.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fsamabuelsamid%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F01%2FDSC08854_driving_silver_C1-1200x800.jpg

Image result for 2020 gt 500

On 1/14/2019 at 8:42 PM, Cougster said:

An automatic with a rotary shifter? Don't know how I feel about that.

Well that’s about 10 years ago when jag tried it and nobody liked it either. They dropped it on their F type R 

7 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

, most likely because Fords research shows that Track oriented people will pony up the money in the initial release to buy the latest and greatest avaiable.

...And it’s going to be pricey.  We need a pole.  I’m going to say $105k fully optioned out, then ADM of another $35k.

Edited by mfield2a

On 2/1/2019 at 3:55 PM, mhr1961 said:

Well, since some were skeptical of the 800 color offerings perhaps I should have clarified.This post may be a little long winded but sometimes skepticism is good and we all learn something in the process. Yes there have been 800+ color offerings over the 55+ years. Has there been 800+ different colors? Well that is sort of a yes and no answer. I will clarify further. In the early years there were sometimes as many as 20+ colors offered and each year after the first year of production the following model year had some repeat/carry over colors, usually 4 to 5 colors carried over 1,2 or 3 years or so, some colors were also revived at times. So when you do the math on the number of offerings in each year it does total well over 800 offerings as I stated. I never said “different colors”. Since there was slight misinterpretation of what I said and somebody said they shouldn’t count the “repeat” colors,  I went back in through a spreadsheet and extracted out the “repeat/ carryover”” standard factory colors. Now to define that extraction, sometimes a color was called something generic like “bright red” or “light blue” and it may have had 2 or 3 different paint codes depending on the year used,  so in that case,  I counted multiple colors for those “repeats" in name only because if the paint code is different then the shade of color can be different, but it wasn’t but a handful of colors that had similar paint codes. Capiche? In addition, there were a few colors that had different names in a given year but oddly had the same paint code but it was only a few so if the name was different I also counted the individual names, but again it was only just a few colors. My guess it was to “market” the car with a fancy or whimsical name…..So anywhoooo. I then did an alphabetical “sort” on my spreadsheet that cross referenced paint codes and after extracting out “repeats/carryover colors" and taking in to account the varying paint codes for the same named colors I ended up with a total of 397 different standard colors. Now, I want to point out that I didn’t do the original “counting” on the standard colors . I used a combination of a reputable article from Mustang Monthly and a published comprehensive Standard Ford Paint code chart for the Mustang years 1964 through 2019 as a cross reference. I do not pretend to be a “Marti Report” . Even Kevin Marti doesn’t have all Mustang Production records. If I recall correctly, he doesn’t have prior to 1967 nor after 1973 per his website, but recently I saw it mentioned on the net that he also now has the rights to the info that goes up through 1993 for Mustangs. In addition there was a fire at Ford in the summer of 1970 that destroyed a lot of production records and I do not know if some Mustang records were lost in the fire. So anywhoo, from available published information,  yes there has been over 800 color offerings when you add up the total number of colors offered each year. Then with the “repeat/carryover” colors extracted out the list comes up to a total of 397 different standard colors based on info I had available. That being said, In 1968 Ford offered a “custom color program” , reference Ford Publication ML-168, that offered an additional 250 different special color choices to dealers so they could order any color they wanted srayed at Ford for special promotions.  So when you add 397 from my extracted compilation, +250 custom colors offered from Ford  ML-168 colors, it gets you to a total of 647 Different Factory sprayed colors offered. Please be advised my list is not absolutely definitive but it is darn close. This info is what I could find in readily available access on the net and cross verified against some old Mustang books I have collected over the past 4 decades. Again, over the course of 55 years of Mustang Production there has been some Ford data lost to history and there were also many special programs over the past 55+ years that may not be listed here as I do not have the time or the inclination to spend hours or days doing the research, but it is conclusive that there has been over 800 color offerings as I originally stated and within those offerings over the past 55+ years there has been at least 647 different Ford factory sprayed colors offered. BUT WAIT THERE' S MORE!

Also not included in my above assessment, below are just a few of some additional programs that add to the “Different colors List offered and sprayed at the Ford Factory” :

1.The “Mystic” paint color that was part of the SVT Cobra Program has been several different Paint Formulations over the years and never the same per BASF.  Approximately 5 variations

2. 1966 “Silver Mink” Program which was a Mustang that was offered in the "Silver Mink" Thunderbird color

3. 1985 Special Program “Jalapena Red” and “Canyon Red” for Twister II Mustangs

4. The 1967 “Golden Nugget Special" painted in a color called “Deep Metallic Gold”.

5. There was also a special promotion by Ford called “Rainbow of Colors” between 1968 and 1969.  PPG put out a listing of 13 additional special Ford factory colors  offered in this Promotion on 1968 and 1969 models.

6. 1967 had some "Territorial" Special Models, one that came out was called a “Twister Secial” painted Cajun Red.

7. In 1967 there was a "Nebraska Centennial Special" promotion that came in special colors called Centennial Blue, Lincoln Green, Summer Wheat, and Big Red.

8. The 2012 Cobra Jet had a color called “Winner White” and the 2014 Cobra Jet was available in “Flat Black”

9. In 1967 Ford had a  marketing promotion with Tussy Cosmetics offering 3 different shades of “Tussey Pink”…….yes that is TUSSY with “T”, not a “P”. Approximately 10 cars were built.

Etc,etc,etc

So just in that short list above we can add another 33 different factory sprayed paint colors and that gets us up to over 680 different Factory sprayed colors offered over the past 55 years.  I could go on and on and probably get the list up close to or over 800 different colors, as there have been about 500 different special edition Mustangs made over the past 55 years ( and if you are skeptical of that too,  there is a published book about them). Not all special editions had special Factory colors though. I also have not included all the special Saleen, Shelby, Roush or other “Mod Shops” colors because to my knowledge some of those colors were factory and some were sprayed by the Mod Shops themselves. I am also not including any factory colors that were “shot” special for the Ford Family or other executives at the factory either. I have only included  FACTORY  sprayed special colors offered per published data and a few known Special Ford Editions that were made available to the public from spraying at Ford.

The entire point behind my original post was that Ford does listen to its customers, Ford  has quite likely offered far more different FACTORY sprayed paint colors on the Mustang than any other car built……... and despite a multitude of color offerings over the years some people are still going to complain. Hope this info was educational and that it cleared up the skepticism..

Ps: if anyone is still skeptical, I can PM you the spreadsheet and you can count it yourself……….or go do your own research……I am not in the habit of posting false information. When I post it is based on data and research……I’m am diving no deeper.  Apologies for going off topic, but heck, who stays on topic on TS anymore anyways ………

Back to talking about the new 2020 GT500.

Excellent work.  You could probably publish that info in an article in one of the Mustang magazines.  It would make an interesting read.  I would've never guessed the number of different colors was that high.

2 hours ago, DrHawkeye said:

Excellent work.  You could probably publish that info in an article in one of the Mustang magazines.  It would make an interesting read.  I would've never guessed the number of different colors was that high.

Thank you for the kind words.  I have compiled some articles about Mustangs over the years, or technical write ups  but mostly have just posted the info on line. One day when I retire and have more time I may take time to publish some of it. Much of what I posted in the write up above was culled from several books and various online sites that already have the data.  I guess no one has sat down and actually taken the time compile it or total it up or spreadsheet it like I did. It is interesting that they offered so many colors in the 1960’s era more so than years after that but cars have for many years been painted robotically rather than by humans...... so it is much more involved in changing over a paint production line now so they limit the color choices. I wish they would offer a much wider array of custom colors on the Shelby Mustangs but I doubt it will ever happen.

Question about the 001 that was auctioned at B-J.  If the buyer was getting VIN 001, and could customize it how he wanted, then what was sitting on the block, and at Detroit, and in that video?  Are those non-VIN prototypes?  Or has the VIN just been saved for the one that was auctioned and they started building with 002.  And who's the lucky ones that get the 'prototypes', cuz I can't see those being crushed, that would be a major waste.

1 hour ago, DrHawkeye said:

Question about the 001 that was auctioned at B-J.  If the buyer was getting VIN 001, and could customize it how he wanted, then what was sitting on the block, and at Detroit, and in that video?  Are those non-VIN prototypes?  Or has the VIN just been saved for the one that was auctioned and they started building with 002.  And who's the lucky ones that get the 'prototypes', cuz I can't see those being crushed, that would be a major waste.

Here's a question you should ponder, why was the hood of the B-J auction car never opened?

22 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Here's a question you should ponder, why was the hood of the B-J auction car never opened?

I didn't know it wasn't, but I would guess since you pointed it out that there wasn't an engine in it.  But since there are cars being driven around, those obviously have engines.

21 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Indeed when you buy VIN #1 you are buying the RIGHT to VIN #1 and the car on the block is a factory prototype.

OK, so I'll guess that prototypes, like the ones driven around and shown at shows don't have VINs, but do they get a VIN at some point?  Would be a waste to destroy a perfectly good vehicle.  I actually had to explain to someone last night at the club meeting that the car on the block wasn't the actual car being bought, cuz he, and I'm guessing the general public, thought it was.

Most protoss are crushed.   they do not have a mso or vin snd cannot be licensed.  occasionally you hear of one that survived and some old 9nes sell for big bucks.  ypu might not want one since most of them are not finished interiors and have missing parts replaced with 8nstrumentation.  I saw a test challenger and the front seat looked like a cop car with laptop and lots of wires to data gathering gear.  so those cars you see on secret pic sites with camo are probably toast

OK, so I'll guess that prototypes, like the ones driven around and shown at shows don't have VINs, but do they get a VIN at some point?  Would be a waste to destroy a perfectly good vehicle.  I actually had to explain to someone last night at the club meeting that the car on the block wasn't the actual car being bought, cuz he, and I'm guessing the general public, thought it was.

All auto-manufacturers destroy vehicles especially when a new vehicle is introduced as they need to get the assembly line workers familiar with the new build process. I would never want the first vehicle built on a reconfigured assembly line with a new team of workers.

Keep in mind there is a big difference between the first car built and VIN #0001. Try a Google search for the term "pilot cars". Also try a search for trade schools, donated cars.

Steve

29 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

Most protoss are crushed.   they do not have a mso or vin snd cannot be licensed.  occasionally you hear of one that survived and some old 9nes sell for big bucks.  ypu might not want one since most of them are not finished interiors and have missing parts replaced with 8nstrumentation.  I saw a test challenger and the front seat looked like a cop car with laptop and lots of wires to data gathering gear.  so those cars you see on secret pic sites with camo are probably toast

All of the above and the even more important is the liability the manufacturer would assume if they sold a true prototype vehicle to the general public.

21 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

All auto-manufacturers destroy vehicles especially when a new vehicle is introduced as they need to get the assembly line workers familiar with the new build process. I would never want the first vehicle built on a reconfigured assembly line with a new team of workers.

Keep in mind there is a big difference between the first car built and VIN #0001. Try a Google search for the term "pilot cars". Also try a search for trade schools, donated cars.

Steve

Yeah, I know that VIN #001 just means it was the one that got that VIN, but not the first built.  Seems a waste to destroy those vehicles.  Can't take much to get them finished and then sold.

Can't take much to get them finished and then sold.

Its all about liability, we live in a litigious Country. Pilot pre-production/prototype cars are normally crushed, donated to schools,  shipped out of the USA, sold to Ford employees, anything except someone from the general public. That is why Tony mentioned these cars selling for more money as they were not supposed to have ended up in someones garage.

Steve