TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Replacement

I am having my stripes replaced on my car and I need to repair galvanic corrosion around the hood pins or replace the hood. I have got a quote for 1200 dollars to repair and respray the hood or the other option is to buy a stock style carbon fiber hood from Anderson Composites. I would put my original hood scoop and hood pins on the carbon after it gets painted. I have read that corrosion tends to come back even after repair so I am leaning towards the carbon fiber hood. I have no experience with carbon fiber and wanted to know if anyone has done this with there car to solve the corrosion problem or knows how much painting a carbon fiber hood should cost. I am thinking I would just paint the top side.

To clarify: its the stainless screws used to mount the hood pin plates to the hood that are the culprit for the corrosion. Stainless screws do not mesh with the aluminum hood (galvanic couple). Oddly enough, the new hood pin package still contains stainless screws. I found aluminum replacements at Home depot for about $2.

I'm not sure if the corrosion stops after removing the screws, but maybe just resurfacing the hood (paint job), and replacing the stainless screws with aluminum ones might be your least expensive solution?

Edited by BlackSGT

4 hours ago, BlackSGT said:

To clarify: its the stainless screws used to mount the hood pin plates to the hood that are the culprit for the corrosion. Stainless screws do not mesh with the aluminum hood (galvanic couple). Oddly enough, the new hood pin package still contains stainless screws. I found aluminum replacements at Home depot for about $2.

I'm not sure if the corrosion stops after removing the screws, but maybe just resurfacing the hood (paint job), and replacing the stainless screws with aluminum ones might be your least expensive solution?

I do have aluminum screws I received from SVT. I know there is a TSB for aluminum galvanic corrosion from Ford not properly prepping the hoods before paint, as well as galvanic corrosion from the hood pin screws. I would prefer to respray the stock hood, but I haven't seen anyone successfully repair this problem by repainting. I don't want to pay to have it repainted unless I have some confidence that the corrosion will not return after the repair. I have contacted both Ford and Shelby who both refuse to pay any of the costs of the repair when this is clearly a manufacturing issue on Ford or the hood supplier. I am also surprised that Ford and Shelby would allow a product to be sold with a design flaw like this and not do the right thing and fix the car. Has anyone repaired their hood and not had the corrosion return?

Too: 08SGT/SC,   We too had a corrosion problem with a 2006 Mustang W/Pony package, Black  W/5spd,v-6 that we had ordered out new for my wife.  On the right side of the aluminum hood down on the lower front lip it was starting to corrode and bubble up the paint!  So we talked to the manager at the body shop and she could see the corrosion but they really didn't want to take the responsibility to have it fixed or readily admit they had a problem with aluminum hoods.  At the time, I got the impression that they really weren't set-up to handle that type of problem with the corrosion. The end result was meeting her half-way on what it cost to repaint the hood.  I really think the only reason they met us half way was because we bought it new there, and also other cars in the past. And we had just recently had the car serviced with a new clutch and tires and a couple of other things, so we had spent a fair amount already!   A couple of years after the repaint my wife and I notice a slight bit of corrosion and it looked like down the road there would be more of it almost in the same place.  We later sold it in 2015, but we have noticed on some other mustangs around the lip of the hoods that they were corroding too!   FYI  We've also noticed in some pictures of some of the older Shelbys corrosion by the hood pin areas!   Wish you all the best on your hood problem!    P.S  I also told the Body Shop Manager that down the road when all the new aluminum trucks are out on the road for a few years and in the different climates and elements that she might be seeing alot of problems with the paint on them!

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout:

6 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Too: 08SGT/SC,   We too had a corrosion problem with a 2006 Mustang W/Pony package, Black  W/5spd,v-6 that we had ordered out new for my wife.  On the right side of the aluminum hood down on the lower front lip it was starting to corrode and bubble up the paint!  So we talked to the manager at the body shop and she could see the corrosion but they really didn't want to take the responsibility to have it fixed or readily admit they had a problem with aluminum hoods.  At the time, I got the impression that they really weren't set-up to handle that type of problem with the corrosion. The end result was meeting her half-way on what it cost to repaint the hood.  I really think the only reason they met us half way was because we bought it new there, and also other cars in the past. And we had just recently had the car serviced with a new clutch and tires and a couple of other things, so we had spent a fair amount already!   A couple of years after the repaint my wife and I notice a slight bit of corrosion and it looked like down the road there would be more of it almost in the same place.  We later sold it in 2015, but we have noticed on some other mustangs around the lip of the hoods that they were corroding too!   FYI  We've also noticed in some pictures of some of the older Shelbys corrosion by the hood pin areas!   Wish you all the best on your hood problem!    P.S  I also told the Body Shop Manager that down the road when all the new aluminum trucks are out on the road for a few years and in the different climates and elements that she might be seeing alot of problems with the paint on them!

Later!

My family spent about 90k at the dealer I bought the car from in three months. We bought the Shelby in December 07, my sister bought a 07 Mustang in January 08 (has corrosion on the lip of the hood just like your car did, and my wife bought a 08 Ford Focus in March of 08. I would be happy if they would meet half way but they aren't willing to help (won't be buying a car from that auto group again). I am waiting on a quote to have a carbon fiber hood painted, if that ends up being the same cost as getting my hood repaired I may just go down that route. I am hoping to hear back next week.

To : 08SGT/SC,   Hey man, I really feel for ya!  I totally agree with you to never go back to that dealer, and it's a dirty shame that they wouldn't work with you! It's not fair, but we all know in the end everything revolves around the "Almighty Dollar"!   (JMO)   I wish you the best with your project, and every time I drive my 08SGT it puts a smile on my face, they are awesome Shelbys!  :yahoo:

Later!