TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will Shelby do another run of 2016 GT-H floor mats ?

In another thread several 2016 GT-H owners like myself expressed interest in getting a set of the exclusive GT-H floor mats because their car was missing them altogether or they were soiled ( Oh, those renters ! ) or just to have a spare set as I would like to have. I emailed Shelby and was told " There are no more available ", but I'm thinking if everyone who is interested would speak up here, and anyone at Shelby who posts here would put in the word, maybe we can get them to do another run if they see there are enough of us who would buy a set to make it worth their making more. What do you say ?

Might be easier to approach Scott Drake to see if he would do a run and how many are needed to make it worth his time. 

Once that is established, I'm guess you would need to approach Shelby to see what % of the sale they need.

There have been a couple past posts on doing 'second runs' of things for the '06-'08 models (lower grill inserts and brake cooling kits) to no avail. 

Do the math, its doubtful this idea will fly. Why? …….Ok you have approximately 170 2016 GTH cars floating around out there. Then, go in and look within TS and you will be lucky if you see any more than  15 or 20 people  that have a 2016 GT-H that have popped online to say so. Maybe 10 of those people are active on TS. And out of that 10 people,   you would be lucky to get half to chime in for a “group buy”. So you got 5 people. But heck, lets be generous, lets say all 20 TS members with GTH’s want a set of those sweet embroidered GTH mats …….Then say people may be willing to pay $100 for set (doubtful). That’s $2000 bucks. Then out of that $2000 subtract the cost of mats, the cost of the embroidery machine set up, the cost of the embroidery thread, the machine cost for the production run, the cost of the trademark use and/or licensing fees, cost of all the admin just to order and take care of everything, ...........and you may be lucky to see even $300 to $400 profit………….Doubtful that is going to make SAI’s radar. Not trying to rain on your parade here, just pointing out some market and manufacturing realities.  If you need or want a new set of custom mats you are probably better off just buying a set of replacement mats and taking them to a custom embroidery shop that has the capability to stitch custom floor mats.

Edited by mhr1961

4 hours ago, 06H275 said:

At least we only want one color....:whistling:

give it time 06H275, I would almost bet you a set of mats that somebody is gonna pop up and say , "count me in!, but I want my mats in gold with black letters", or , "count me in, but I want the black mats to have gold trim to match the GTH logo, that will make my floor mats really pop!", or  I want Black but instead of putting the  logo in the center ,can you move it over to one side where it wont get so dirty?", or "The logo is too big can you reduce it 20%?", or "the logo is too small can you increase it 30%?", or "yes, I want the mats but only if it has my CSM number on it too"., Or...." instead of it saying "Shelby GTH" can you just put GTH?,....... or "I only need one mat can we buy just one?", .............surveying for aftermarket items in here the past several years has historically proven to be about as effective as having Stevie Wonder herd cats..........................

Edited by mhr1961

For one thing, the Shelby boys are making it clear they are not into selling unique parts to just any shmo looking to build a GT-H from a pedestrian black mustang, I.E. they are requiring proof of ownership AND proof of damage to certain part.

You'll need to find children in China to stamp out counterfeit mats.

Now, what would it hurt to just sit back and see if 3.5 interested owners could talk S.A. into a small run of mats, huh?☺

14 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Try to make your case to hertz.   sai just put the parts together

I am sure Hertz is  going to jump through fiery hoops when they hear the sales pitch for a chance to corner this potentially huge custom GTH floor mat market.

4 hours ago, Dr Garry Kraft said:

There are many sellers out there with all kinds of Shelby mats for sale - GT -350, GT-500, Super Snake etc. - all with Shelby snakes and logos. Somebody must have permission to do this and there must be enough buyers to make it worth doing. I guess the fact that there were only 171 of the 2016 GT-H cars makes for a very small buyers pool and is a negative as stated by other members. But I will be watching and hoping.

I guess the fact that there were only 171 of the 2016 GT-H cars makes for a very small buyers pool

BUT,  due to so few of our cars being made, in the distant future, the scarcity of the 2016 GT-H's MAY be reflected in price appreciation.

One of these days I'll tell you about my 1954 Porsche Speedster (17th one made) which I had garaged about 15 years.                                                                                                               

This was close to the oldest Speedster left in the world.

Sold it over 20 years ago and used the money for a house on the beach. Unfortunately, later sold the house, too.

Guess how much that car is worth now? Guess how much that house is worth now?

1954 Porsche Speedster.jpg

Well I was going to keep my mouth shut and not say you never know about the floor mats.....

Today I called SA and they now have GT-H floor mats as of Monday 4/16.

They are intended only to be sold as replacements, not an extra set just for grins.

So, those of you that had your floor mats lifted from your GT-H before you bought them, give SA a call!

I also inquired about the availability of GT-H parts in the future (thinking I should buy some now) and SA replied they plan to stock our GT-H parts for about 15 years.

I was about to buy a set of "blades" because a friend on mine had his blow off of his GT-H, but I was told they will remain available for a long time.

Good News or what?

Brent

21 hours ago, blz57 said:

Well I was going to keep my mouth shut and not say you never know about the floor mats.....

Today I called SA and they now have GT-H floor mats as of Monday 4/16.

They are intended only to be sold as replacements, not an extra set just for grins.

So, those of you that had your floor mats lifted from your GT-H before you bought them, give SA a call!

I also inquired about the availability of GT-H parts in the future (thinking I should buy some now) and SA replied they plan to stock our GT-H parts for about 15 years.

I was about to buy a set of "blades" because a friend on mine had his blow off of his GT-H, but I was told they will remain available for a long time.

Good News or what?

Brent

From an enthusiast point of view, that is good news on the mats. It’s not like those are really some difficult to make custom piece nor does it have to be stocked in house. They can always call their vendor and have a few more stitched up and drop shipped to a customer. Now in regard to all the unique “spare parts”, well, I am not sure I would buy in to that 15 year promise completely,  because from a business standpoint it might be a bit of a challenge to carry inventory on a short run of vehicles for 15 years.  The 2006/07 GTH and 2007/08 SGT ,of which they made well over 5000 units, .......unfortunately they didn’t keep that stuff around……… that SGT/GTH related stuff started drying up within about 2 to 3 years. I am not saying you should run out tomorrow and buy a boatload of spare part's but it is going to be interesting to see if you can get a polycarbonate hood, custom vents, rockers, stripe kits, badges, etc in the year 2033………or for that matter even beyond 2021.

Ps: I am glad you will be able to get your mats.

blz57 - Thanks for that news, I will call Mon. My mats got ruined by somebody - a mechanic ? with very greasy boots. As for parts, I am thinking about the upper and lower grills - Mighty pricey for chicken wire - but it is what it is . And I'll bite- What are the "blades" ?

1 hour ago, cobraguy69 said:

blz57 - Thanks for that news, I will call Mon. My mats got ruined by somebody - a mechanic ? with very greasy boots. As for parts, I am thinking about the upper and lower grills - Mighty pricey for chicken wire - but it is what it is . And I'll bite- What are the "blades" ?

I learned the carbon fiber thing below is called a Blade by SA. It is shared with some other models.

I was thinking there were a couple of GT-H owners that had floor mats missing (or damaged like yours).

Brent

20180420_185428.jpg

2 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

From an enthusiast point of view, that is good news on the mats. It’s not like those are really some difficult to make custom piece nor does it have to be stocked in house. They can always call their vendor and have a few more stitched up and drop shipped to a customer. Now in regard to all the unique “spare parts”, well, I am not sure I would buy in to that 15 year promise completely,  because from a business standpoint it might be a bit of a challenge to carry inventory on a short run of vehicles for 15 years.  The 2006/07 GTH and 2007/08 SGT ,of which they made well over 5000 units, .......unfortunately they didn’t keep that stuff around……… that SGT/GTH related stuff started drying up within about 2 to 3 years. I am not saying you should run out tomorrow and buy a boatload of spare part's but it is going to be interesting to see if you can get a polycarbonate hood, custom vents, rockers, stripe kits, badges, etc in the year 2033………or for that matter even beyond 2021.

Ps: I am glad you will be able to get your mats.

mhr1961 -

I have mats, so I am OK on that, just feeling for the others that don't have them.

Yeah, I was surprised about what SA told me. I specifically asked what parts should I be thinking about now...he said not really any, and that was when he mentioned floor mats, stripes, emblems, etc. I didn't quite catch all of it.

Brent  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...