TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil weight

I have been running Royal Purple 5-30 (as my Shelby Hood Sticker shows for my 07 GTH) and Ford Racing oil filter, but I now need to change my oil in my 16 GTH and it says to use 5-20, can I use 5-30 in it as well.  Sure would make my oil buying easier, but still want what is best for the 16.

5W30 is a heavier weight oil than 5W20, so if you are in a warm climate it should not be an issue. If you are in a climate where putting snow chains on the ‘16 would not seem odd I would stick with the 5W20.

On stock engines I like to use the oil viscosity the carmaker recommends, and I am 100% Synthetic, it’s just way better than Dino.  New synthetic oils last a long, long, long time in an opened container, so having a few around isn’t an issue. 

2 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

The newer motor has tighter tolerances, and the one thing you may note right off the bat (if you even care OR are watching LOL) is a tad less fuel economy, with the thicker viscosity. That would be my only observation. :thumbsup:

"Drive it like you stole it" and fuel economy somehow just don't seem to equate.... :hysterical:

The Ford 4.6 was originally designed to use 5w-30, Due to the ever present CAFE standards, Ford did testing that showed 5w-20 would yield a slight mpg improvement and around 2002  they switched the recommendation to 5w-20.

Here is a cut and paste of page 214 directly out of the 2007 Ford Mustang owners manual from Ford’s site..

“Use SAE 5W-20 engine oil. Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this trademark symbol conforms to the current engine and emission system protection standards and fuel economy requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), comprised of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers. To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle’s engine.”

Not sure about why you have a 5w-30 sticker under the hood. There were some prior GTH topics way back in the day that you can do a search for that say the 2007 GT-H owners manual recommends 5w-20 as well.

I have a 2008 SGT which has basically the same engine as your 2007 and I do not have a sticker under the hood calling for 5w-30. My manual calls for 5w-20. I have run the recommended 5w-20 for going on 9 years now in the Florida and Texas heat with no problems.

If your 2016 recommends 5w-20,  I don’t see why don’t you just switch to running 5w-20 in both…..the 5w-20 is going to give you a little better mpg and unleash a little more power.

Edited by mhr1961

First of all: this is just my opinion, and we all have one, especially when it comes to what oil to use in our collector cars / race cars!   The oil you listed first was Royal Purple, a very good quality oil.   And then you were wondering what weight oil to use in your two vehicles?   I agree with what one of the previous members said in that he would go ahead and use the same weight and brand in both of them!  Whether you use 5w30 or 5w20 that's your choice!  But one thing you might want to consider, is if the car is under warranty you might want to stick to the oil weight that's recommended for that engine.  Usually the weight is listed on the oil fill cap on the engine.  The reason that I say this, is if there is any lubrication problem with the engine during warranty you should be able to prove that you used the specified weight and a good quality oil!   There are some excellent Synthetic oils out there and they do last a lot longer because they don't break down as fast as conventional oils. But what I like the most about them is that they lubricate the engine better (Flow Easier, more slippery) and they take the heat alot better and thus the engine usually runs cooler!  I myself, usually run Valvoline full syn. in my Expedition, and I use mobile 1 full syn. in all my lawn equipment.  Also I use Amsoil in my 2003 Harley Fat Boy and I have a oil temperature reading dip stick that proved  that my bike ran a lot cooler using Amsoil full Syn.   P.S.  I don't know about you, but I sure didn't buy this awesome car for the gas mileage!   :clapping:So go have fun with your cars and drive them like you stole them! LOL:lol: