TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Life with the Shelby

Cobra37

Purchased my 2012 Shelby in November.  Found a loaded car with 6700 original miles and all the options but the moon roof.  Just a side note (November is the best time of the year to buy a car)  Having been in the car business for awhile, I can tell you November is bleak when it comes to sales.  Nobody spends any money until December.  Anyway got the car for 35,000 and i am very  pleased.  I don't want to hear that you bought your 2014 Super Snake with 2000 miles on it for $18,000. I spent 18 months researching and driving all over the country, and this was the best I could come up with.  Anyway, get the car home and it's rainy season in Texas, Freekin Goodyear racing slicks are a bear to say the least on wet roads.  After a few accidental lane changes on wet roads and a blow out, ($150.00 for the tow, because I don't have a freeking jack, spare or lug wrench, and $400.00 for a new tire) I get the car back to Texas. I replace the "Good-Slicks) with Michelin road tires. Got a set of 19 and 20 inch Goodyear's for sale cheap!  I have since bought a donut spare $80.00, jack $40.00 and folding lug wrench $20.00. 

Second month I have it, BAM pick up a rock on I-35 (the permanent  construction area in Texas). $850.00 windshield

Third month, start assembling 4 post  lift my wife bought me for Christmas.  Had to do some modifying to the ceiling joist to allow the car to be raised enough to get another car tucked underneath.  After much measuring and double checking, finally got the clearance I needed.  Marked the lift with a DO NOT EXCEED point and tested my work with both cars in place.  What I had not counted on was the roof line of the Shelby and the Chevelle are not the same.  With the Chevelle on top, no problem, but the Shelby needed another inch to clear.  Noticed a crease in the roof of the Shelby while waxing it.  Fix A Dent $400.00.

Wait it gets better!  Backing the Shelby on the lift (wanted to get a picture of both cars facing out) and paying too much attention to the drivers mirror for clearance and too little to the passengers side, ripped the passenger side mirror off the car.  $450.00 for the part, $200.00 to install (I installed it myself)

The last item is the Outside Air Temp reads 50 degrees all the time.  With the temperature ranging from 20 to 90 with this crazy weather, I figure I have a problem.  Dealer says he will swap out the sending unit under the bumper to bumper warranty.($3500.00 for zero deductible to 100,000 miles) At first I thought that was a little much, but then I read a few threads on this forum about the cost of replacing an engine and bought the insurance. Now I Just have to find time to get it to him.

I currently have 13,000 miles on the car, drive it every other week to and from work (429 miles one way) drive it in any weather, on any roads and park it wherever I want.  It is my daily driver, grocery getter, and go to car show car. My wife hates it because I drive like an idiot, it's too loud, and you can't see out of the back of it. (She's the one that said I should buy this and not another Corvette).  I absolutely love it,  My plans for this car is to drive it to the 100,000 mile mark, then Mod the engine, back half the frame for Pro Street and car show it.  I'm already picking up parts and pieces from my buddies as they up grade to bigger and badder builds.

I guess what I'm saying in all this is, if your thinking about a Shelby in your future, you cannot find this kind of performance, handling, and ride for the money anywhere else. 

I LOVE MY CAR! 

shop lights.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Great to hear you're driving and enjoying it.  Love the stripe-less white too!  Been there with the lifts/clearance and mishaps/bad luck.  Agree it is a great value for the money and think you got a good price too.  

What's all done to the car?  Mostly stock?

• 4 weeks later...

Totally stock with the addition of after market exhaust.  Trying to locate stock mufflers to reduce the noise, great for cruising the streets, but fatiguing on long trips.  Thanks, I am really happy with the car, the ride, the attention, the quality of the build. 

30 minutes ago, Cobra37 said:

Totally stock with the addition of after market exhaust.  Trying to locate stock mufflers to reduce the noise, great for cruising the streets, but fatiguing on long trips.  Thanks, I am really happy with the car, the ride, the attention, the quality of the build. 

Congrats, nice find! 

Stock mufflers, the best muffler out there IMO. https://lmr.com/item/M5230MGTCA1/2011-Mustang-Gt-50L-Ford-Racing-Gt500-Axle-Back-Exhaust-Kit

3 hours ago, Cobra37 said:

"Not nearly as good" How?  Build quality? Sound?  The guy only wants fifty bucks for the pair, so we are not breaking the bank on this buy and I've always got the old performance parts.

Sound. Louder, deeper, more rumble, but yet quiet when not on the gas. No drone. The Mustang GT mufflers are too quiet. Here's a link to my comparison video: 

Edited by Secondo