TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Shelby GT Brakes

I have a 2007 Shelby GT-CSM-4708. The car is totally stock. I would like to replace the brakes with something more responsive. The brakes on my 2017 Ford Escape are better. The problem I foresee is that the space between the calipers and the wheel is so small that replacing the brakes with Wilwood or Brembo could pose a problem. The stock brakes are not worn. The car only has 13,000 miles on the clock.

14 hours ago, 08SGT1234 said:

I went with the Power Stop Evolution Front and Rear Brake Kit K1381, new SS lines, fluid and cleaned/painted the factory calipers. At the time I caught a deal on Amazon for all the parts and spent less that $400.

Did you stencil, engrave or decal the calipers? 

You are right about the wheel clearance, you can’t run Brembis on the factory wheels unless you were to use wheel spacers. The first time I took my 08 SGT to the track back in 09 I just destroyed the brakes. I was talking to a Ford engineer who was at the track that day about a brake upgrade because I thought the fade was terrible and made the car dangerous after running it hard on the track. He told me at that time that I don’t need to get different brakes, but to use dot 4 brake fluid, stainless lines, better pads, and use brake cooling ducts. Made all the difference in the world. I didn’t go with stainless lines, should have, but the rest kept me from over cooking the brakes at the track for the next several years and the pads gave it a much more aggressive feel on the street also. Performance Friction Mettalic made the brake pads for the 08 Bullitt and they are much better performing on the street and will work decently on the track. Taking off the rear brake dust shields will help with rear brake cooling. Try it and see if you need bigger brakes after that. If your not running at that track I wouldn’t use the front cooling ducts, and stickier tires always play a big part in brake performance. Good luck:)

Edited by ledfoot73
Addition

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I got an American Muscle Catalog in the mail and they have the Power Stop Evolution kits available at a reasonable price. I will see the man at our local speed shop and see if he can order the kit and install it as soon as the snow clears. I bought a 2017 Ford Escape SE and it has twice the braking power the Shelby has. A lot of technology has happened in the past 11 years. I was told that there is an 07 Shelby GT in Bangor ME that has 6 piston Brembo Calipers in front and 4 piston calipers in the rear. He stops on a dime and gets back change. I suspect that his modification was quite expensive. I would settle for adequate brakes. The ones I have now are dismal.

I concur on the stock brakes on these SGT's. But to be fair, they don't GO as fast as other Stangs, so less emphasis was placed on the brakes when Carroll put these together. 

You also must remember these cars needed to fall into a (price range) below the simultaneously offered GT500's, in order to be relative, so some things have to take a back seat.  :salute:

I changed stock rotors for the same sized drilled/slotted Baer Decelarotors and more aggressive pads, along with stainless lines and high temp fluid.  I now have the GT500 Brembos, so the barely used Baer rotors are sitting in my garage - anybody want them? Say $100 plus shipping for all four?

Sam

Hawk pads, SS lines, larger slotted rotors (SC Package), and DOT 4 fluid. The clutch went on a long drive and had it replaced at a Ford dealer. Unknown to me at the time, they replace the 4 with DOT 3 (manual clutch uses brake fluid) and I immediately noticed a difference after getting back on the road. Had the 3 flushed and replaced by 4 when I got home, big difference (50%+)!

Edited by BlackSGT