TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT value

covertaxn

Good morning all,

i am the original owner of a 2008 Shelby GT coupe, CSM 08SGT1249, with 9700 miles on it. It’s in excellent condition, had the good scoop replaced way back in 09. Stripes are perfect.

With twins in college I am in the unfortunate position of looking to sell the car. What’s a realistic value currently? When I started looking at selling it back in December (yes I have been stalling) the KBB value was 22-25; today KBB is dating 15??

Just looking for a reality check. I check Barrett Jackson for sales but most are convertibles or BJ editions.

Thanks!

Keith

Responses will run the gambit on current value.

Unfortunately KBB and NADA don't help with these vehicles as they don't have them listed properly as a model vs. "package".  One use to have at least the 2008's as a model, however, I now see that is gone!

A lot of it comes down to what you want out of it, if you want closer to what it should be worth, you may end up sitting on it for awhile until the right buyer comes along.  Alternatively if you need to get rid of it to "cash" out, lower price will move it quicker.  Research what they are going for on sites like autotrader and such.  The auction values are useless for the common folk. 

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, covertaxn said:

Good morning all,

i am the original owner of a 2008 Shelby GT coupe, CSM 08SGT1249, with 9700 miles on it. It’s in excellent condition, had the good scoop replaced way back in 09. Stripes are perfect.

With twins in college I am in the unfortunate position of looking to sell the car. What’s a realistic value currently? When I started looking at selling it back in December (yes I have been stalling) the KBB value was 22-25; today KBB is dating 15??

Just looking for a reality check. I check Barrett Jackson for sales but most are convertibles or BJ editions.

Thanks!

Keith

Beautiful car, GLWS. If it was an automatic we'd be talking.

Edited by IASHELBYGT
Changed message

1 hour ago, covertaxn said:

It’s a manual. It’s not hard to drive I traffic at all. I do have a Bama race tune that gives it a lot more punch. 

It's more for my wife on trips rather than me. I currently have an 07SGT manual, but am looking for and prefer low mile unmodified/unmolested 08 Coupe or Vert in an automatic, but your car looks nice. Does the tuner come with the sale and do you have any other SGT items that go with the car?

2 minutes ago, IASHELBYGT said:

It's more for my wife on trips rather than me. I currently have an 07SGT manual, but am looking for and prefer low mile unmodified/unmolested 08 Coupe or Vert in an automatic, but your car looks nice. Does the tuner come with the sale and do you have any other SGT items that go with the car?

My wife was the same way.  She won't drive a manual car but drove the automatic on several trips to Vegas. 

30 minutes ago, BIKEBOY said:

$23K is too cheap...... I'm just say'n. 

If the Carfax is squeaky clean and it's never been in weather, you could get $24 IMHO....regardless of the "season"

Only with proper buyer.  General public, more in the high teens to very low 20's.

1 hour ago, stngfever said:

Only with proper buyer.  General public, more in the high teens to very low 20's.

This is what you've got to realize.  The Shelby GT has only a little boost to the car in the eyes of most buyers. Most see it as a modified Mustang.  If they research and find out what they can get for the price then they are usually quite happy. 

I too, own a 2008 Shelby GT , 5spd. , and I agree with twobjshelby's comment!   Most people don't really realize what this car is, or all about, and also the uniqueness of it!  Like he said they think it is just a modified Mustang!  Also it is frustrating some times to try and find a value for it.  The general public and also some dealers aren't educated enough about these awesome cars!  These cars kinda came out under the radar and they are currently a very good buy for someone that wants a awesome handling and fun to drive car that should be very collectable because of it's heritage , fun factor, and very low production numbers.   Your car is about 10 years  and you only have 9,700. miles on it, so that averages out to less than 1,000. miles a year and it's in excellent condition!   Your car new probably ran about $42,000. give or take some.  If I was currently in the market for this car and knowing the uniqueness and history of it ,I would gladly pay you $24,000. for it.  With that said, I would hope you get a informed buyer or you might just have to try and educate them about the" cool factor" of the car!  I wouldn't sell the car for less than 22,500. at the very low end !  These cars are leveling off and should appreciate slowly!  Stick to your guns and take your time, and I wish you the best!:victory:

This is just my opinion for what it is worth;  But as long as the Seller and the Buyer are both happy with the deal, that's all that really matters in the end!

Later,

"MONGOOSE"  :peelout:

I agree with Mongoose, but I have found that most mustang fans appreciate seeing one in person. They know it’s a Shelby and appreciate seeing the window sticker and all information about them. It’s a hoot seeing them look at the engine bay Shelby number like the 65 has.I find it fun to educate people that show an interest. 

Really what can you buy out there that’s reliable, fun to drive , has a cool history with Shelby and is all original. For less then $30K.  Look at the over price 60’s muscle car prices. Nothing for under $30k with a decent restoration. Plus many are rust buckets once you do a paint examination. In time these SGT cars will be welcomed as a fun reliable collectible weekend car. Go to a show and arrive home with no breakdowns. 

Look at all the recent companies selling collectible cars on consignment. Streetside, gateway just to name a few. Most of their cars are horrible restoration jobs. Slapped together by amateurs looking to make a buck. I’ve never found one yet in the past 5 years to be worth the price they are asking. The market is crowded with these cars just rusting away. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

My goal is to have 07 White and Black (check), 08 Grabber Orange, and 08 Vista Blue all coupe 5 speeds!

I bought 07 black new from dealer in August 2008.

In 6/2013 bought 07 White as a flood salvage to turn into track car.

2 hours ago, stngfever said:

My goal is to have 07 White and Black (check), 08 Grabber Orange, and 08 Vista Blue all coupe 5 speeds!

I bought 07 black new from dealer in August 2008.

In 6/2013 bought 07 White as a flood salvage to turn into track car.

Seems like you've got all of them except a Barrett Jackson version.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Congrats , but man oh man, it hurts thinking it went that cheap.

I'm scared what to ask for mine now. :(

Hi BB:  I agree, that was a very good buy!  If I didn't have my 08 I would have gladly paid 23K for it because it had such low miles and it was from the original owner!   From your comment here, It sounds like you're considering selling your Shelby GT.   Sorry to hear that, I thought that was a" keeper"   :) for your collection!   If you are selling, and I know you know this, don't be in a hurry because your car deserves a good price!:cool:   Remember it only takes one person to recognize the uniqueness of your car!:rating:     

Later!

"MONGOOSE"

Hey Goose.... We are thinking of moving the SGT to make way for a brand new daily driver. 

Gina wants a new Tacoma p/u. The SGT was one of the longest "bucket list" cars on my list for years. When I found it, it had 168 miles on it and I got excited and paid way too much for it. It was truly in the wrapper still. 

Now, after acquiring a total of 5 cars, it would be nice to cut the collection back to just four cars and recoup some dough to help buy a nice new DD. Tacomas aren't cheap. :drop:

It will pain me to sell this car, but if one of the five HAS to go....it needs to be the SGT, sadly. The car now has 2200 miles on it, and if I was to advertise it, I would start well north of the sale of covertaxn's sale price. If it won't sell, I'll keep it. It means too much to me to give it away. :love_shower:

1 hour ago, BIKEBOY said:

Hey Goose.... We are thinking of moving the SGT to make way for a brand new daily driver. 

Gina wants a new Tacoma p/u. The SGT was one of the longest "bucket list" cars on my list for years. When I found it, it had 168 miles on it and I got excited and paid way too much for it. It was truly in the wrapper still. 

Now, after acquiring a total of 5 cars, it would be nice to cut the collection back to just four cars and recoup some dough to help buy a nice new DD. Tacomas aren't cheap. :drop:

It will pain me to sell this car, but if one of the five HAS to go....it needs to be the SGT, sadly. The car now has 2200 miles on it, and if I was to advertise it, I would start well north of the sale of covertaxn's sale price. If it won't sell, I'll keep it. It means too much to me to give it away. :love_shower:

Hey BB:  Your car only having 2,200. miles is still almost like new, and it probably smells like new too!  "Just my opinion",  but I would hold out for top dollar!  Where would you find another with that low mileage?    :rating:     And now on to the subject of needing a new daily driver for Gina.  Boy; do I have a good one for you and her!   FYI, a little pricey, and out of my ball-park, but I would give my left NNNN??? to own and drive one every day!:yahoo:  Hell,  you wouldn't be able to wipe the smile off my face!:)  Remember: You only live once and you can't take it with you! LOL  :lol:   Ok, now for the unveiling of this very,very, cool automobile!   It's on the cover of my latest Motortrend, May 2018 and it is a 2019 Ferrari Portofino: " The Everyday Ferrari"  It's the most market - researched exotic in history!  It's the perfect Ferrari for those who want a fast and elegant, refined and luxuriously equipped 21st century (Gran-Turismo) that they can drive 24/7 .   Now for the bad part of the equation, ( a shade over 200 grand) , but I feel I have to say : this is one hell-of -a- sexy car that has it all! :clapping:  Ferrari marketing chief said 85% of california owners use their cars as daily drivers! " Very Cool":cool:   BB: I woludn't blame you if you didn't show this to your better-half!  LOL:lol:    Sorry, I got long winded again!  :twister:       :backtotopic:    I guess I'm to passionate about cool cars!    "Wish you the best of luck with your car"!:rockon:  

Later!

"MONGOOSE"