TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s vs. Pilot Sport Cup 2

Hey guys, spring is around the corner and wanting to upgrade tires from factory Goodyear’s to Michelin’s. What do you think is better for the GT500 - Sport 4S or Sport Cup 2? I see posts on good reviews for the Sport 4S and Pilot SS’s, but not comparing with the Sport Cup 2. Thoughts?

I have three cars that wear a set of each of the tires you are asking about. The Sport 4S have come stock on my new Mustang GT with PP1. So far so good, I have had no traction issues with them so far on the street. Without the specs in front of me, I am going to guess that the treadwear is far superior than the Sport Cup 2 tires. My GT 350R came stock with the Sport Cup 2 tires. They are extremely sticky but only have a treadwear of 180. They will pick up anything they come in contact with and throw it, need to be careful with your quarter panels. While they are awesome tires they really should not be used for daily driving. One of my GT500s still wears the original Goodyears. I am sure you have learned by now they are downright dangerous. My other GT500 has a set of Pilot Super Sports and while they are great daily driver tires that see limited track use, I can still break them free in fourth gear. I guess it comes down to how you use your car.

Thanks for the good info! Mine isn’t a daily driver, more summer only and no rain. I put on about 1200 per year. 

One other reason to upgrade is that I am taking the car to the track for the first time this year (M1 Concourse in MI), and definitely need a better tire. 

Edited by 14GT500BLK

Given only 1,200 miles a year, the sport cup 2 tire would do you well on a road course. Is that what you meant by track or did you mean drag strip? Very sticky tire but as before, they will pick up and throw every single pebble and stone they come in contact with. Tape up your lower rear quarters and God help anyone who may be behind you.

With only a 9.5" rim how do you guys put any power down even at the stock power level? I know you said 350R (much wider wheel, less power, less weight) But do you know if the Sport Cup 2's  break loose on a GT500? I'm considering them also. I'm buying a new set of Toyo R888R's every spring and I only drive 3,000mi a year.

Valid points, I don’t know if the Sport Cup 2’s won’t break loose. I would suspect they would since they are not slicks or even a drag radial. However, OP was asking posts regarding 4S or Sport Cup 2s and Pilot SS. When looking at those three for grip, the Sport Cup 2 is hands down the better tire.

• 6 months later...

I still have the stock Goodyear Supercar tire on my GT500.  The rear tires have been noisy ever since new (or that's what I thought was making noise).  Is that the experience of others or could it be a more serious problem, such as rear end?  Nearing end of warranty period.  Experiences??

Thanks!!!

I would probably post a new topic under rear end noise and see if you get some answers.

I have piles of stock Goodyear F1 front tires from the shelby factory, they aren't the best tire but they were cheap. I'm trying to use them up before they get too old and need to be scrapped.  Mine don't make any excessive noise that I am aware of but I only run them on the fronts.

• 7 months later...

Had Good years when I bought my 2 gt500s and they did not make any noise. Even though they are pretty good at cornering, traction was not very good and when below 50F, super dangerous. Also they are not progressive when losing traction.  Michelins will SS or 4S change you car behavior in a very good way! But I agree that if you only drive in the sun ans occasionally, go with the Cup2, if you do research, you will find that most of the stock new cars wearing cup2 tires are on top of the lists prepared by car magazines like car and driver and motor trend fastest cars on circuits.

And to your traction question, a stock 2014 GT500 will make any tire brake loose if you want to....Even 305 drag radials....