TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NorCal to LV or PS conga line

Cali_KR

Greeting fellow Shelby fanatics.

For the past decade, we've had a "conga line" from NorCal to southern points ahead of the Bash.

Although, this year, my work schedule has gotten in the way of leading the brigade, I thought I'd start a thread for those wanting to pair up with some dance partners for the respective cruises to either Palm Springs or Las Vegas.

As in year past, the meet point was the windmill at Andersons in Santa Nella.

For those going to join Dave Goldberg leading the desert run in Palm Springs, you'll meet up Wednesday Mar 7.

Chime in hear, and let your fellow petrolheads now what you are doing, and cruise together.

It's always fun more wild stripes and load pipes running together.

Motor on, and see you in Vegas! 

We're in, as usual and will meet up in Santa Nella headed to Palm Springs! 

Is there any info on what/when the festivities in Palm Springs will be on Wednesday? It'd help to have a target time in mind to shoot for arrival..

Edited by Bookwyrm

For reference, here's the schedule we used last time we went to Palm Springs (in 2014), modified for the Marriott we're headed to this time (with the google maps projection for time in traffic around LA). We may need to adjust the times based on what's going on when we get there.

Leaving Wednesday, March 7th for Palm Springs

DEPART 101 at Bailey Ave just South of San Jose @ 5:45am sharp

For those wanting to meet there, take the Bailey Rd exit off 101 and park on the on-ramp back onto 101 South.  It's a huge on-ramp with plenty of room to queue up the Shelbys. This will put us at Casa de Fruita at approx. 6:30 for breakfast and fuel up

DEPART Casa de Fruita @ 7:30am (fill your tanks at Chevron) to Pea Soup Andersen's 
You'll find us lined up in front of the restaurant, as some will eat breakfast there.

We will take Hwy 152 east to Santa Nella for a short stop at Pea Soup Andersen's (look for the big WIndmill at the junction of I-5 & Hwy 33), where we will rendezvous with those coming from points north. 

DEPART Pea Soup Andersen's @ 8:00am for 76 @ Laval Rd. (189 miles, approx 2.5 hours) 

I-5 south to Laval Rd Service center, 

NOTE: The gas station used to be a Chevron and is now a 76 -- it is the one that shares a parking lot with In-N-Out

This stop will be ~45 minutes, so be sure, you've eaten, made your potty stop, and have your car fueled up.

**If we are all ready to go ahead of schedule, we will depart earlier**

DEPART Laval Rd @ 11:15am for JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, 74-855 Country Club Dr, Palm Desert, CA 92260 (209 miles, approx 3 hours)
 I-5 south to I-210 east to I-10 east to Exit 134 to Cook St

1. Bookwyrm (santa nella)

2. Fat Boss (101 Bailey Ave)

3. Sheldon B (santa nella)

4. Marty

5. Phil

EDIT: adjusted times to be an hour earlier to make the event at Allen Grant’s shop. Depending on traffic, we may call an audible and head directly for the event instead of the hotel upon arriving in Palm Springs. 

Edited by Bookwyrm

Works for me.

I'll be getting on 101 at Bailey Ave just South of San Jose at 5:45 sharp on Wed the 7th.  For those wanting to meet there, take the Bailey Rd exit off 101 and park on the on-ramp back onto 101 South.  It's a huge on-ramp with plenty of room to queue up the Shelbys.

This will put us at Casa de Fruita at approx. 6:30 for breakfast and fuel up, followed by the roll-out to Santa Nella at 7:30.

Edited by Fat Boss
add date

On 2/10/2018 at 7:50 PM, Stu Casteel said:

Dang, sounds like fun but too close to the big Broadcasters convention (NAB) there in April.

After several decades of annual pilgrimages as well as working at stations there, Lost wages is not my idea of a place I want to go for pleasure!

Have fun! 

For us track rats, Friday and Saturday are track side at Spring Mountain,  thus Las Vegas just happens to be where the bed is. 

I'm not a gambler, and stay off of the strip. I go for the friendships created over the last decade, and the cars that brought us all together 

Edited by Cali_KR

On 2/11/2018 at 9:18 AM, Cali_KR said:

For us track rats, Friday and Saturday are track side at Spring Mountain,  thus Las Vegas just happens to be where we the bed is. 

I'm not a gambler, and stay off of the strip. I go for the friendships created over the last decade, and the cars that brought us all together 

Will they allow a convertible on the track w/o a roll bar?

Don't want to do anything stupid but would like to stretch it without looking for those tacky black and white sedan drivers with all those annoying red and blue lights

6 hours ago, Z-man said:

I’ll be driving from Los Angeles to Palm Springs in the early afternoon on Wednesday.  Is your route passing anywhere near that area?  

We'll be going I-5 -> I-210 -> I-10 and would be happy to have you join the line. We should hit I-210 somewhere around 1:30PM, exact timing will depend greatly on traffic and where you'd be meeting us, however. 

Since the shindig at Allen Grant's shop is starting at 3, we'll probably want to try to leave Santa Nella at 8 (8:30 at the latest) and maybe shorten the lunch stop slightly. Since you're the only one who's chimed in so far, Andy, is that ok with you?

Edited by Bookwyrm

Hi all! This is my 1st Bash & I'm coming from Davis CA near Sacto. I can meet at Santa Nella but am not going to Palm Springs from there, but straight to Vegas. Taking 5 to 58 to 15. Leaving early Thursday morning. Anyone else going that way? Or headed to Vegas from Northern Cali who wants to join up?

On 2/21/2018 at 10:32 AM, Bookwyrm said:

Since the shindig at Allen Grant's shop is starting at 3, we'll probably want to try to leave Santa Nella at 8 (8:30 at the latest) and maybe shorten the lunch stop slightly. Since you're the only one who's chimed in so far, Andy, is that ok with you?

Sounds good to me.  Sounds like Marty and Phil are going to be cruising with us as well.  Go ahead and edit your post to show a 5:45am departure from the Bailey Rd interchange.

On 2/22/2018 at 4:58 PM, DValenz said:

Hi all! This is my 1st Bash & I'm coming from Davis CA near Sacto. I can meet at Santa Nella but am not going to Palm Springs from there, but straight to Vegas. Taking 5 to 58 to 15. Leaving early Thursday morning. Anyone else going that way? Or headed to Vegas from Northern Cali who wants to join up?

Im leaving Thursday morning to Vegas and an 25 minutes north of Santa Nella.  We can meet up. what time? 

15 minutes ago, Fat Boss said:

Cross your fingers on the weather.  It might snow over the southern CA mountains next week as we're driving to Palm Springs and/or Vegas.

That'd definitely be our luck... Just have to take it slow and careful if it is (and hope nobody's on stock goodyears!):cold:

On 2/25/2018 at 8:06 PM, Robert Vasquez said:

Im leaving Thursday morning to Vegas and an 25 minutes north of Santa Nella.  We can meet up. what time? 

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I just got my instructions yesterday and it's my 1st Bash. Check in is from 12 to 4 pm so we'd like to get there in time to do so. I'm thinking if we're at Santa Nella at 5 am that should put us in Vegas around 1 or so since of course we need to make stops. 

What do you think? Does that sound ok?

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I just got my instructions yesterday and it's my 1st Bash. Check in is from 12 to 4 pm so we'd like to get there in time to do so. I'm thinking if we're at Santa Nella at 5 am that should put us in Vegas around 1 or so since of course we need to make stops. 

3 hours ago, DValenz said:

The registration continues from 4-8 at Stoney's if that works better for you so you don't have to leave so early!

13 hours ago, DValenz said:

5 am at the windmill. Here's my number just in case. Robert. 510 432 8960.

14 hours ago, DG Shelby said:

The registration continues from 4-8 at Stoney's if that works better for you so you don't have to leave so early!

Ohhhhh. Ok. Thank you very much! Didn't know that! :)

5 hours ago, Robert Vasquez said:

5 am at the windmill. Here's my number just in case. Robert. 510 432 8960.

Sounds great! Will be nice to travel with someone! Mine is 530 219 3651. See you Thursday! ?