TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2015-2018 GT350 Owners

39Mustang

To ALL current and past 2015-2018 Shelby GT350 owners I have a question to you or actually its to the former owners. I have noticed quite a few or really a lot of used GT350's For Sale and I am wondering why? These GT350's are far the best Mustangs ever built so why did you already dump them? If financial yea ok but if not what didn't you like?

The best Mustang built prior to these were the 2012-2014 Boss 302's and there are just so many of these For Sale as I am sure these owners moved up to the GT350 but when on Ebay or Auto Trader I am surprised why so many newer GT350's are For Sale. 

I think if someone wanted to get into Mustangs or looking for another there are great deals on the Boss 302's even the 2016 GT350 are great buy for the price

I know some like me got rid of there 2016 and got a 2017 to help keep value up since unless you got the track pack on the 2016 you didn't get the transmission/differential coolers. And in my case I had a teck pack with the comfy seats etc. And was lucky enough to find a new 2017 with the comfy seats before there became a restraint on them. And since all 2017's have the coolers I'm sure the 2016's decreased in value/price.

28 minutes ago, 39Mustang said:

To ALL current and past 2015-2018 Shelby GT350 owners I have a question to you or actually its to the former owners. I have noticed quite a few or really a lot of used GT350's For Sale and I am wondering why? These GT350's are far the best Mustangs ever built so why did you already dump them? If financial yea ok but if not what didn't you like?

It seems we get this on every car.  For some reason people feel as if there is something wrong and that people are abandoning cars in the ditches becasue they are going to blow up or something.  

But the answer is really simple: owners move on.

People here think the car is some kind of object to be revered.  But the reality is that to 99% of the world, it's just another car.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, twobjshelbys said:

It seems we get this on every car.  For some reason people feel as if there is something wrong and that people are abandoning cars in the ditches becasue they are going to blow up or something.  

But the answer is really simple: owners move on.

People here think the car is some kind of object to be revered.  But the reality is that to 99% of the world, it's just another car.

You said it perfectly, 'people think its an object to be revered' instead of driven like they should be. ALL 69-70 Boss 429 Mustangs pure screaming engine and now just dust collectors from one millionaire to another. If I had a GT350R I'd be driving the shit out of it

• 3 weeks later...

The GT350 is a unique vehicle with unique technology. We like it a lot.

Agree with other posters, the over-heating problems 2016 tech package GT350's soured some owners. My family's 2016 GT350 properly has the track pack - our music comes out of the VooDoo FPC engine and quad tailpipes.

We're - not into the non-engine electronics. I also believe the GT500 which is an entirely different vehicle, made to go up against the likes of the Demon and Corvette ZR1 is sapping media and consumer interest in the GT350 which has been amazingly high since 2015, but is now waning. 

The current GT350 nicely complements the heritage in our '67 GT350 with the non-supercharged HiPo 289. We're outliers - we like high-power normally aspirated engines. Not interested in superchargers or turbos. We didn't buy our GT350's as investments, we bought them for the pleasure of driving and owning. If the value goes up that's nice but we're not focused on selling, just enjoying.

The muscle car occupies a niche that will grow more distant as electrical vehicles advance. We don't like the electrics and prefer our diesel trucks and such. We even find the technology in the unique Subaru boxer engines. They are interesting engines but designers say it won't pass future emissions standards so will be retired - how sad.

The GT350's Voodoo engine is likely the last of the high-power NA engines. What an engine the Voodoo is. Love it and respect it for what it is. Bolting on a supercharger or turbo. 

Some here have said it was the lack of streetable lower RPM torque that took the fun out of it which caused them to sell. I can picture that happening because the motor was designed for high revving track use. One guy I know of said the seats were too uncomfortable for his wife (Recaros). People buy cars like tennis shoes. 

22 hours ago, Secondo said:

Some here have said it was the lack of streetable lower RPM torque that took the fun out of it which caused them to sell. I can picture that happening because the motor was designed for high revving track use. One guy I know of said the seats were too uncomfortable for his wife (Recaros). People buy cars like tennis shoes. 

Yesterday I stopped by a high end used dealership to look at a 2016 GT350 Track Pack car with 12 miles on the odometer as I have been considering to purchase.  I'm 6'3" and 195 with an athletic build.  When I sat in the car, the first thing I thought was, "damn these Recaros are uncomfortable".  The bolsters were pushing up against my lats and my legs felt pinched together.  This is great if you are tracking the car on a regular basis as it holds you in tightly.  Terrible if you just want a daily driver or a car to go have fun for a few hours now and then.  I would have a hard time driving that car for more than 30 minutes to an hour without wanting to get out.  Kind of like the old sport bike days.... I would ride my sport bikes all day long when I was younger.  Now I don't want to be on one hardly at all because they are so uncomfortable.

Conversely, they had a 2016 Viper Time Attack which also had bolstered seats.  I sat in the Viper and could drive that all day with no issue.  The Recaros in the GT350 are really made for someone of much smaller build and anyone who is overweight would not be happy.  As a result, my lust for the GT350 is waning and I'm glad I did not jump in and buy one when they came out.

Exactly, ViperNC, I've heard that about the Recaros too so why would an older person buy an uncomfortable track car for recreational grocery getting use. I believe the GT350 is also available without them. I'm happy with the standard premium seats in my '14 Track Pack, they're daily driver comfortable and still work while on the track.

Maybe you'd fit better in the standard seats? Or just get the Viper? ;)

I bought a 2018 with the convenience package.  That ditches the Recaros and adds pretty much the same seats as I have in my '15 GT (leather with suede inserts).  I tried the Recaros at a dealership and found them to be awfully uncomfortable and pretty restrictive as far as adjustment.  Glad I didn't get the Recaros.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:27 PM, Secondo said:

Exactly, ViperNC, I've heard that about the Recaros too so why would an older person buy an uncomfortable track car for recreational grocery getting use. I believe the GT350 is also available without them. I'm happy with the standard premium seats in my '14 Track Pack, they're daily driver comfortable and still work while on the track.

Maybe you'd fit better in the standard seats? Or just get the Viper? ;)

After sitting in the Viper, I'm sold.  Really love that Gen 5 car and the lines remind me of my old Gen 2 GTS.  Now.... waiting for the right one and figuring out where to put it?  

I have a 16 Tech pack car I ordered directly from Ford. Like everyone else here, I hated the Recaro seats. Definitely for small people. I wanted the electronics as well. My car now has the factory cooled transmission and an aftermarket Rear end cooler. I have about as much into the car as I would have if I would have bought a 17. I remember the first time I drove the car, I didn't like the lack of low end grunt. That was until I learned to drive the car. Wouldn't trade it for the world right now

I guess I might be in the minority, but I love the Recaros in my 17.  Drove it 6 hours home after taking delivery and they never gave me any reason to bitch.  I’m 56, 180#, 5’11”.  I'm used to the restrained seating from the SCCA days of my 20’s and 30’s and when I sat my overweight ass in the Recaros for the first time it was like visiting an old friend.  As far as the torque curve goes, it took me 100 miles to figure out where the VooDoo likes to live and the song it sings can be intimidating to those (my wife) not used to living in the middle of the tach.  For me, it was like being returned to the days of my youth and I’m completely smitten with the driving experience I get every time I climb (that’s what it is) into the cockpit. 

I love normally aspirated, big-hp, short-stroke engines that can fool me into believing I’m not a geezer, even though I really am.  I just ain’t done having fun yet.  I won’t be selling my GT350 anytime soon. 

14 hours ago, Grabberlicious said:

I guess I might be in the minority, but I love the Recaros in my 17.  Drove it 6 hours home after taking delivery and they never gave me any reason to bitch.  I’m 56, 180#, 5’11”.  I'm used to the restrained seating from the SCCA days of my 20’s and 30’s and when I sat my overweight ass in the Recaros for the first time it was like visiting an old friend.  As far as the torque curve goes, it took me 100 miles to figure out where the VooDoo likes to live and the song it sings can be intimidating to those (my wife) not used to living in the middle of the tach.  For me, it was like being returned to the days of my youth and I’m completely smitten with the driving experience I get every time I climb (that’s what it is) into the cockpit. 

I love normally aspirated, big-hp, short-stroke engines that can fool me into believing I’m not a geezer, even though I really am.  I just ain’t done having fun yet.  I won’t be selling my GT350 anytime soon. 

That's awesome.  I would love to own a GT350 but I have to unload my GT500 to make room in my garage.  The GT500 is definitely more of a touring car and I agree the Recaros are designed to hug you which would be perfect for tracking the car.  I guess my 4 extra inches in height and 20 extra lbs makes the difference for day to day comfort.  The high revs are addictive.  That Viper just fit me like a glove though.... maybe one day I'll own both.

17 hours ago, Grabberlicious said:

At 6'6" it just wasn't an option. My pelvic bones hit the side bolsters. I prefer the tighter seats but I also prefer my butt actuals hits the bottom of the seat as well. In the race car, I have both worlds

Had to chime in here about my 16 GT 350 track pack and the 18 mustang GT PP1/ GT PP 2

My 13 boss 302 has cloth Recaro seats and they fit pretty good. The GT350 Recaro seats are not the same and did feel tight. The lack of low end grunt plus oil line recall made me sell my 2016 track pack GT350 almost two years ago. Was able to trade her for what I had in her. Today I would have taken a pretty good hit like $10 K. Look at the Dyno chart below on the 18 3rd gen coyote and see the  torque numbers at 2200 rpms  are 350 .The GT 350 doesn’t hit 350lb torque numbers until 3700 rpms and the coyote is 400lb at 3700 rpms .This engine solves the low end grunt . The power curve is much broader then the 5.2  and now it revs to 7500 rpm. I have driven a 18 GT with the PP1 option and 373 gears  in sport mode on the street and no more lack of power down low. You add a power pack from ford  ( soon to be released) and these 18 GT PP2 will out perform the current 350 non R on the street . Maybe track also , we shall see. One more thing Ford dealers are selling the new mustang GT with up to $7K off sticker . That means you can get into a Base GT with the 301A  int option ( big screen and drive modes better radio ) and PP 1 manual for $35K. I bought my used 16 350 track pack for $57K. The Mustang gets better with each refresh  ....good job Ford  

The new mustang GT4 sounds Really awesome at the race track with the CPC engine.  They had 7 @ the 4 hour race @ Daytona this year . More to come this year. Ford is once again building mustang race cars for its customers like the 302R. 

FYI. For the OP.....The boss was only built in years 12/13. The GT 500 with the 662 hp was built 13/14 years. 

57C1044F-709E-4F72-91E3-F107D7B6A526.jpeg

F7CA0F8D-E39F-4C9E-A2F7-8B07801F67CD.jpeg

Edited by mach 1 1970

16 hours ago, svttim said:

Many have added power to the VOODO successfully and they can make insane power. We will see if the GT actually outperforms the GT350 although outperform where? 

16 hours ago, svttim said:

Many have added power to the VOODO successfully and they can make insane power. We will see if the GT actually outperforms the GT350 although outperform where? 

I read that the Ford engineers said the voodoo was not meant for FI. Will the gen 3 coyote prove to be better for the street... I would say yes. On the track without the coolers I don’t think so...however ford has gauges to monitor your trans and rear temps in the 18 Mustang GT.  Finally Ford has engineered some low end torque into the gen 3 coyote. My track days are over so the GT 350 didn’t work for me. It’s a track car and I should have realized that. My bad. But then again it cost me nothing to find out while hitting the rev limiter . Lucky no tickets ....but luck only goes so far on the street. To really have fun with this car you have to break the law .. which I’m not into. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

Agreed, if your looking for a street brawler the GT is a better choice. For a track car or, a car you drive to carve corners or to get a lot of looks while driving, the GT350 is the current king. But, then comes the new.......

svttim...Yes I agree..except Head turning ....my black GT 350 with no stripes didn’t turn any heads. But I liked that color for police reasons. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

To revisit the original question, i do believe people have gotten into the habit of changing out cars after having it for maybe a year or two. I considered myself very fortunate to have been able to purchase a 17 gt350 new a little over a year ago at the age of 23, and it was all hard work to get there for me so I cherish it like nothing else I own. It got me wondering, beings I used to frequent the car show circuit in a built 71 Maverick, how much I heard a lot of older folks saying that that they had something rare like a shelby or something comparable,  and had regretfully sold it. I couldn't part with mine, and I felt I was offered the opportunity to have something that was the modern equivalent of the legendary cars of back in the good old days. A pure performance machine, and I honestly haven't a single complaint about it. Am one of the few that views these cars this way? 

6 hours ago, Levi Triplett said:

To revisit the original question, i do believe people have gotten into the habit of changing out cars after having it for maybe a year or two. I considered myself very fortunate to have been able to purchase a 17 gt350 new a little over a year ago at the age of 23, and it was all hard work to get there for me so I cherish it like nothing else I own. It got me wondering, beings I used to frequent the car show circuit in a built 71 Maverick, how much I heard a lot of older folks saying that that they had something rare like a shelby or something comparable,  and had regretfully sold it. I couldn't part with mine, and I felt I was offered the opportunity to have something that was the modern equivalent of the legendary cars of back in the good old days. A pure performance machine, and I honestly haven't a single complaint about it. Am one of the few that views these cars this way? 

No way man! You’re justified feeling this way.  I'll attempt to relate.... I grew up in an auto family.  My dad did custom leather upholstery for high end cars from classic Rolls-Royce down through now classic Mercedes cars and everything in between.  I was always surrounded with the coolest cars and had no idea how fortunate I was. Then he passed away when I was a teenager.  My mom kept kids fed and housed, but we had squat.  I worked as a mechanic for years.  Fast forward 30 years.

i married my HS sweetheart, we worked our asses off to buy a home and raise a son.  Now 56, a data security engineer and finally some disposable income! I fell in love with the s550 GT350 and cherish it on the same level as those classic cars that I now appreciate like never before.  

Keep it clean and it gives back everything you put into it.  I dote over my car like I did for my wife when I was 18 because, well, it’s special.  I worked hard to get here and don’t much care what anyone else thinks of that.  It’s a milestone in my life’s story and my teenage son is having those same experiences I had at his age in the world of cool sports cars.

enjoy it, you deserve it.

Talking about the past  I grew up in Detroit during the 60’s. My sister was dating a ford engineer and he would bring over his 70 boss 302 . He would show me his ram air induction he put on. Cruising Woodward ave and the big boys drive in on telegraph rd. Fresh out of college my first car at age 21 was a 1970 mach1 and will always be special .... to this day I’ve owned over 5. Now 35 years later ford IMO has brought back the mustang that I loved back in 1970. Starting with the 05 and improving each year with the 18 being the finest one to date. The older I get the more I want to experience each and everyone. From my first 05 mustang GT and all the others ones I have owned it’s been a blast including the Ford GT that I’ve always lusted after . One big candy shop and thank you Ford  

Edited by mach 1 1970

On 3/1/2018 at 9:40 PM, Grabberlicious said:

No way man! You’re justified feeling this way.  I'll attempt to relate.... I grew up in an auto family.  My dad did custom leather upholstery for high end cars from classic Rolls-Royce down through now classic Mercedes cars and everything in between.  I was always surrounded with the coolest cars and had no idea how fortunate I was. Then he passed away when I was a teenager.  My mom kept kids fed and housed, but we had squat.  I worked as a mechanic for years.  Fast forward 30 years.

i married my HS sweetheart, we worked our asses off to buy a home and raise a son.  Now 56, a data security engineer and finally some disposable income! I fell in love with the s550 GT350 and cherish it on the same level as those classic cars that I now appreciate like never before.  

Keep it clean and it gives back everything you put into it.  I dote over my car like I did for my wife when I was 18 because, well, it’s special.  I worked hard to get here and don’t much care what anyone else thinks of that.  It’s a milestone in my life’s story and my teenage son is having those same experiences I had at his age in the world of cool sports cars.

enjoy it, you deserve it.

Dude, our stories are eerily simular..... (spElLeEng intended) ;)

Married my HS sweetheart as well. Dad blew out when I was 6 and my mom raised my bro and I with SQAUT. Made me appreciate the value of the all mighty buck, lemme tell ya. Started out with a four door ‘68 Chebby Impeller ....$350  And the rest is history. 

Cars have been my life. Plain and simple. G and I were in 7th grade homeroom class together. Then in 9th grade we both started working at a grocery store as baggers. Really actually “met” there. Started dating and she grew to love my car passion (Thank God!)  OK, wrong thread here, I know. We are also your age . Just turned 57 last week. 

Back to topic. I have had so many cars, I’ve stopped counting. As for this 350, it’s pretty much the pinnacle of Mustangs for me. I had two (an ‘07 and an ‘08) GT500’s and LOTS of other Stangs, but this one is the shizzle!! It sounds like something other than a traditional Stang for sure, but that is not to slant it in ANY way, cuz as has been said here, it’s NOT a traditional Stang. It was purposefully built alongside regular Stangs of the same year, for a whole different reason. And that’s OK. Thank goodness Ford gave us choices. As has also been said, the low end grunt is not there, but you get quickly acquainted with where it lives (and loves) the RPM range, and so it goes. For me, I have other cars that do ‘other’ things. This 350 completes my total interest today, and I will NOT be selling it anytime soon. Let the guys that don’t understand the car, sell theirs off......that’s OK too. That’s what makes the world go ‘round. Plus the guys that didn’t get one brand new because of ridiculous ADM’s , can now have a super low mile example for a way more reasonable price. Everyone wins! :)

Nice post Chris!:)  I agree with your posting that there's different cars for different situations and reasons to own them!  With that said it would be a very boring world  without other choices to choose!:drop:  As far as driving a GT350 in the right RPM power range to be happy with the grunt and torque of the engine its probably as simple as learning the characteristic of the beast by driving it and experiencing the different rpm range and gears when it likes to turn on! :peelout:  I myself, as I get older:shrug:  really enjoy the  2008 Shelby GT for its awesome handling, cool looks, and I feel more than adequate power package! It's a blast to drive aggressively at its limits in corner carving without trying to kill you in the process of having fun because of too much power for the car and driver, and thus scaring the hell out of you!:hide:  I've been there, and I've done that!:club:    As far as a bang for the buck, I feel that the Shelby GT is no longer depreciating and its leveling off!  And because of it's handling package and very low production and uniqueness of being Carroll Shelby's second run at SAI, this car is currently a good buy for all that it does and is!:clapping:  Now after my preaching! LOL:backtotopic:     I'm glad you found a car that you really like to drive and own thats awesome!:yahoo:  I wouldn't mind trying out a GT350 myself or even a 2018 GT or even a 700H.P. 500 GT! :shift:  It's still the kid in me , I guess!  I missed reading your awesome posts lately on the forum!  Nice to see you back posting, BB!  :)

Talk  at Ya,   Later!

"MONGOOSE"

23 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Dude, our stories are eerily simular..... (spElLeEng intended) ;)

Married my HS sweetheart as well. Dad blew out when I was 6 and my mom raised my bro and I with SQAUT. Made me appreciate the value of the all mighty buck, lemme tell ya. Started out with a four door ‘68 Chebby Impeller ....$350  And the rest is history. 

Cars have been my life. Plain and simple. G and I were in 7th grade homeroom class together. Then in 9th grade we both started working at a grocery store as baggers. Really actually “met” there. Started dating and she grew to love my car passion (Thank God!)  OK, wrong thread here, I know. We are also your age . Just turned 57 last week. 

Back to topic. I have had so many cars, I’ve stopped counting. As for this 350, it’s pretty much the pinnacle of Mustangs for me. I had two (an ‘07 and an ‘08) GT500’s and LOTS of other Stangs, but this one is the shizzle!! It sounds like something other than a traditional Stang for sure, but that is not to slant it in ANY way, cuz as has been said here, it’s NOT a traditional Stang. It was purposefully built alongside regular Stangs of the same year, for a whole different reason. And that’s OK. Thank goodness Ford gave us choices. As has also been said, the low end grunt is not there, but you get quickly acquainted with where it lives (and loves) the RPM range, and so it goes. For me, I have other cars that do ‘other’ things. This 350 completes my total interest today, and I will NOT be selling it anytime soon. Let the guys that don’t understand the car, sell theirs off......that’s OK too. That’s what makes the world go ‘round. Plus the guys that didn’t get one brand new because of ridiculous ADM’s , can now have a super low mile example for a way more reasonable price. Everyone wins! :)

I couldn't have put that better myself, and I am really enjoying hearing everyone's stories. Hearing these makes me feel like I have finally found some like minded individuals for a change. Being here in Montana you have to figure that Mustangs, let alone Shelby ones, are a bit of a rare sight considering our short driving season. That and most everyone here seems infatuated with another american brand I won't mention, and I suppose that drew me away from the car scene just because of the aggravation. I agree however, that the GT350 is the pinnacle for me ,but I certainly would have been happy with the 07 and up GT500 had I come across one. I understand those met a similar fate with owners looking for something different when the new 350 came out. Hopefully when the snow eventually goes away I'll be back out there, and I will post a bit about some of my upgrades if I get the chance. LT