TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barrett Jackson - Scottsdale 2018

BlackSGT

26 minutes ago, slygray1 said:

2016 Shelby GT-H sold for $50,000.

$50,000 plus $5,000 commissions and the car had what, 26,000 miles on it?  So the buyer spent $55,000 for a 26k mile car.  He could have bought one for $5k less with half the miles.  That's why auctions love the uninformed.

QSS

1 minute ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

$50,000 plus $5,000 commissions and the car had what, 26,000 miles on it?  So the buyer spent $55,000 for a 26k mile car.  He could have bought one for $5k less with half the miles.  That's why auctions love the uninformed.

QSS

Yesterday there was a really sweet looking McLaren 720S.  Bidding stopped at MSRP for a new one.  And it didn't meet reserve. 

33 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

Yesterday there was a really sweet looking McLaren 720S.  Bidding stopped at MSRP for a new one.  And it didn't meet reserve. 

I have noticed some of those cars are going for a ridiculous price

38 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

43 minutes ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

QSS

BJ makes out big time on the sales. The buyers pay 10% and the sellers pay a, I heard, 6%.

Buyers 10, sellers 8, reserve cars higher.  But I have it from a source that the seller's commission is negotiable for key vehicles, especially reserve cars.  [This was part of a sales pitch for me to take mine to Vegas.]

But look at the venue.  It costs A BOATLOAD OF MONEY to rent that facility (it is owned by the city of Scottsdale) and to pay all of the drivers, attendants, auctioneers (yes, they get paid) and all the other people.  Sure they make money, but it's not as much as you might think.

Edited by twobjshelbys

3 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Pretty big difference between a McLaren 720S and a 2016 GT-H with 26,000 miles on it.  You can go to Autotrader.com right now and buy that GT-H for less money with fewer miles.  You can't do that with the McLaren.

QSS

The buyers that attend these big auctions usually will get excited in the bidding process for their desired item of interest, and thus they will usually end up paying more for their purchase !   As a former buyer and seller of  some collecter/muscle cars etc. , I always felt as long as the buyer and seller are happy with the final transaction thats all that really counts in the end!    My dear old Dad used to say to me; Son, your car is only worth what someone wants to pay you today for it !   But, he also used to say that I could jump in a barrel of  ( S??? ) and come out clean ! L.O.L.            The difference between; ( Men and Boys)  are the price of their TOYS !     P.S.   I'm pretty sure that all of our spouses / girlfriends would agree with this remark !

As I said in the past, this is just my opinion !

Talk at Ya, Later !

" MONGOOSE "

9 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Buyers 10, sellers 8, reserve cars higher.  But I have it from a source that the seller's commission is negotiable for key vehicles, especially reserve cars.  [This was part of a sales pitch for me to take mine to Vegas.]

But look at the venue.  It costs A BOATLOAD OF MONEY to rent that facility (it is owned by the city of Scottsdale) and to pay all of the drivers, attendants, auctioneers (yes, they get paid) and all the other people.  Sure they make money, but it's not as much as you might think.

I spoke to quite a few of the workers there for Barrett.  Most do not get paid.  All the car attendants and bidder assistants in the crowd are there on their own dime. Most of the drivers are local guys who have been doing it for years and just enjoy being there with the cars and people.  BJ itself employs about 60 people full time.  There are part time people of course during the events.  That is a huge amount of work by few people to arrange the auctions all year long.  There are LOTS of volunteers behind the scenes.  Had a pretty good behind the scenes tour this year for the Team Shelby group.

11 hours ago, QuickSilverShelby said:

QSS

On top of that, this car had lots of rental abuse.  Left front wheel was curb rashed bad, sticker on the left fender was missing a part of the stripe and the other was peeling, the carbon sail panel on the left skirt was broken off an missing.  So on top of paying way too much, could have got a lower mile better car right down the street at the Hertz lot.  Yep, that was an uninformed buyer.  I would have been a buyer on this car at around 30-35K.  I'll wait for a better one down the road.

1 hour ago, JeffJ said:

I spoke to quite a few of the workers there for Barrett.  Most do not get paid.  All the car attendants and bidder assistants in the crowd are there on their own dime. Most of the drivers are local guys who have been doing it for years and just enjoy being there with the cars and people.  BJ itself employs about 60 people full time.  There are part time people of course during the events.  That is a huge amount of work by few people to arrange the auctions all year long.  There are LOTS of volunteers behind the scenes.  Had a pretty good behind the scenes tour this year for the Team Shelby group.

Correct Jeff.  Monterey Car Week with all its auctions are also staffed by many volunteers.  Many are repeat volunteers.

1 hour ago, shelby001 said:

Folk he can get another one tomorrow .

Um, no he can't!   The entire production is sold.  That's not to say he didn't get two (I have it from the guy I got mine from that he did get two, and so others may have also).  Ron didn't drive his cars though, they sat is a magical warehouse where only a few select invited few got to see them.  He sold everything (including all of the memorabilia) two years ago.   It was the first Scottsdale auction that started the week-long event instead of Thu-Sun.

Edited by twobjshelbys