TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Headquaters Dissapointment

07SGT4648

I went to Las Vegas in October 2017 and went on their factory tour, I was extremely disappointed with the tour due to the fact they didn't even mention the Shelby GT once yet I had to hear about the GLH dodge. Finally we went out in the Shop area and there was a sign as big as a house and yet not one mention of the SGT, Finally I yapped in to the tour guide, I said :"look you have a sign as big as a house and yet you haven't mentioned the Shelby Gt once!  Finally he appeased me and gave me the story, but doubt he would have if I didn't scream for it. The gift shop was another disappointment, NOT 1 Shelby GT shirt was to  be found, not 1 hat , I did find the Snake associated with our cars but it just said Shelby. Im sick of this shit! They made a legitimate car there at Shelby and they need to actually make it part of Shelby!

First, I can understand your disappointment on the items for sale.

That said I hope you can understand that while the 2006-07 GTH and the 2007-08 Shelby GT saved Shelby (put aside licensing for GT500) they are old news with a total of fewer than  what? 10,000 owners?  Take that number and be the owner of SA for a moment. A small company like Shelby can't carry the cost of inventory hoping one of those walks in the door and buys a t-shirt or hat.  Instead you sell items with a broader appeal, like the "S" Snake hat you mentioned, and hopefully sell out.

When the SGT first came out there were a lot of SGT items in the old gift store and we bought them up!  I have t-shirts, hats, coffee cups, shot glass, etc., and It's unlikely I'll ever need or want to buy any more.  That further reduces the market potential. A company of Shelby's size can't keep ordering in the numbers needed to meet a sale price and sell enough to make a profit for a car that's 10 years old with a limited addressable market.  The numbers likely just don't work.  It's not meant as a slight just a reality! 

As for the tour...it's unfortunate that this part of the company history was neglected. Perhaps it was that tour guide?  The SGT was the first time Shelby and Ford had gotten together to do a pre-title car since the 1960's and a significant part of the Shelby Story. Perhaps a training issue? 

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

But, you have what counts...the car!  Carroll didn’t care about all the “swag”, just going fast, the thrill of the ride and most of all winning. He hired folks to fund the company and his passion, that’s the only reason there is a tour and a gift shop.  

Just my point of view of course. 

Being a newer owner of an 07 Shelby GT, I too share a bit of the frustration in trying to find things specific to the car. But the car is what it’s all about. If I had a dollar for all of the conversations it has started in the few months I’ve owned it, several extended road trips would have already been paid for. Nothing is better than putting my foot to the floor and hearing it scream down the road with a permanent grin on my face!

My '07 Shelby GT is coming up on our 11th birthday together and granted it would be nice to still get some of the accessories and other parts that were offered the first few years (and I could not afford), as Ryan mentioned having the car on the road, having people take a second look, thumbs up, smiles and enjoying it is still fun. I just had someone roll down his window last night on the way home and compliment me. "nice car". BTW, I've been to the Museum 3 times since I got my car and during the tours they never once mentioned my/the '67 Shelby GT350 either. I just figure both GT's are the little brothers to the 500's and so don't get the publicity.

Clarence

19 hours ago, cobradad said:

My '07 Shelby GT is coming up on our 11th birthday together and granted it would be nice to still get some of the accessories and other parts that were offered the first few years (and I could not afford), as Ryan mentioned having the car on the road, having people take a second look, thumbs up, smiles and enjoying it is still fun. I just had someone roll down his window last night on the way home and compliment me. "nice car". BTW, I've been to the Museum 3 times since I got my car and during the tours they never once mentioned my/the '67 Shelby GT350 either. I just figure both GT's are the little brothers to the 500's and so don't get the publicity.

Clarence

Actually I still think the GT500 from 69 on up are not really Shelby’s. Now the 08/09 KRs and the super snakes are different. The auction values on the 65 vs 70 reflect this. Maybe we will see this in the future repeat itself. If it came from the Shelby headquarters then it’s a Shelby in my book. One mans opinion only. 

Edited by mach 1 1970

I visited the Shelby museum and headquarters in September 2017,  just before you did.   I was in seventh heaven from the second I got out of our cab. Right away before we walked inside I heard a rumble of an engine go by. When I turned it was a Shelby 1000 heading up the interstate ramp. Half way up the ramp, I got to hear that 1000 H.P Mustang open it up a little. I could have left right then and been happy. I will probably never see another Shelby 1000 again. When I went inside and seen all the cars on display, I was so excited to see a 2008 vista blue Shelby GT convertible, and a black 2007 wide body Shelby GT.  I thought about how cool that was to see a car just like mine in a museum. The Blue Shelby GT is the concept car that is being sold at Barrett-Jackson Friday.   Then when I got to go on the tour we ended up back to see the shop area. The tour guide talked for a bit, and then low and behold none other than Vince LaViolette  finished the tour with some personal stories about him and Carroll during some of the builds and promotions. Vince had a huge part in the design of our Shelby GT. And he was there during the challenging build of our SGT's.  And it was also great to see the brand new Shelby's on display before others have seen them.

I want to take this time to thank the staff for making me feel like family.     I hope the Museum and headquarters stays around for a long time. If I go back to Vegas, I will stop again.

Edited by 2+2

I am looking forward to another annual visit to the shop.  I have been going almost every year since it first opened in the old location twenty plus years ago.  I enjoy the staff, the changing displays and gift shop items and , mostly what is in development.  I understand the frustration of the lack of SGT and GTH stuff or displays as I have had similar feelings about finding GT350 stuff (the Shelby American issue, not the current Detroit one).  But I always find things to enjoy and stories to share.  I would like to see more of a Team Shelby presence as TS was started by Carroll.   

• 5 months later...

Finally going myself....July 30th. I can’t wait. I feel like it’s the “Mother Ship” for me. 

Being a lifelong Ford guy and above all, Mustang / Shelby guy, there are fewer things that I’m jazzed about doing in this lifetime. 

Cant wait! :happyfeet: 

2 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Finally going myself....July 30th. I can’t wait. I feel like it’s the “Mother Ship” for me. 

Being a lifelong Ford guy and above all, Mustang / Shelby guy, there are fewer things that I’m jazzed about doing in this lifetime. 

Cant wait! :happyfeet: 

:happyfeet::rockon::yahoo::woohoo:

They have a lot of historical cars at The Shelby Heritage Center but as time goes by it does seem more and more are getting sold off. I like the Shelby Heritage Center and have visited there several times and have never been disappointed with the overall experience. Shelby Historian Jim King, who passed away recently, always did an excellent job with the tour and was always gracious about spending extra time with people who had questions after the tour was over. The only disappointment for me on my last visit is that the original Cobra CSX2000 was sold off. That car was what started it all. It was always the car I enjoyed looking at the most. It was un-restored but still in working order and one could just stand in front of the display observing it and you could almost feel the history emanating from it. I am not being critical that they sold it, just saying that it was unfortunate that they sold it because it is missed by many….and yeah I know it can be seen at the Miller Collection several hundred miles away but I think the Shelby Museum should work something out to where it can be displayed at the Heritage Center from time to time. If you are a fan of the Man and his cars then the Heritage Center is a great place to visit. Also don’t forget to take your proof of being a Team Shelby Member because unless they have changed policy it is good for a 10% discount in the gift shop.

PS: Besides the Shelby Heritage Center, don’t forget to also visit the “Hollywood Cars Museum”. It has some interesting historical/famous cars from the movies and TV.

40 minutes ago, mhr1961 said:

The only disappointment for me on my last visit is that the original Cobra CSX2000 was sold off. That car was what started it all. It was always the car I enjoyed looking at the most. It was un-restored but still in working order and one could just stand in front of the display observing it and you could almost feel the history emanating from it. I am not being critical that they sold it, just saying that it was unfortunate that they sold it because it is missed by many….and yeah I know it can be seen at the Miller Collection several hundred miles away but I think the Shelby Museum should work something out to where it can be displayed at the Heritage Center from time to time.

CSX2000 was bought by Greg Miller but it is now a resident of the Shelby American Collection in Boulder, Colorado.   So that "several hundred" (which probably referred to Salt Lake, that museum closed a number of years ago) is more like 800. 

Thanks for the update.I knew it was part of the MIller Collection. The point was, I am not going to drive several hundred miles from Vegas to see it. If I am ever near the Denver/Boulder area  I will make a point to check out its new home.

Hey all you guys,  It sounds like the Shelby Headquarters and Museum is the place to visit and I guess I'll have to put it on my bucket list too! :) :yup:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"      :peelout:

I stopped by the museum yesterday (Saturday) while in Las Vegas. I missed the tour, which is only given at 10:30 on Saturdays. I’ve been multiple times in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed looking at the cars in the museum. There was a good crowd and they all seemed to be enjoying the cars and gift shop. 

I also noted there there was nothing in the gift shop relating specifically to the Shelby GT. They do have a great selection of Shelby related items in general.

I plan to return again, the next time with my 2008 Shelby GT. The museum is a definite must see if you are in Las Vegas.

Kevin

• 4 months later...

I visit the mother ship every time I am in Vegas.  As an FYI, CSX 2000 is at Shelby.  It was there for SEMA 2018 which is why I was in Vegas.  She will be on site through the Shelby Bash 2019 so I read. (If I am wrong, please someone correct me.) 

They had a 2006 GT-H with a Shelby installed SC there in the Heritage Center.  It was a company car that staff drove around.  Most likely Carroll drove it at least once I would assume but who knows.  It was cool to see it on display and bitter sweet to hear it finally sold.  So yes, they are selling items/cars.  That just means some enthusiast can now be the care taker.  That said, I cannot be disappointed.  It was nice to connect with Shelby's own Steve Thornton who took us behind the scenes for a short tour.  To that end, go visit and enjoy.  If they mention your production car, great if not, great you still own a Shelby.  I hear many times at the center, I wish I could own one.  

Now plan your visit! 

Edited by H0050