TEAM SHELBY FORUM

THE VENICE YEARS

Mongoose

Hello my fellow car nuts!  I just got done reading my latest  bible, oops! I meant Autoweek.  It listed a new holiday must have!  David friedman's new book " The Venice Years" .  "Shelby American Up Close and behind The Scenes; 1962 to 1965.  This book covers want might have been the best years of Carroll Shelby's life.  The book says that the actual first Shelby cobra was screwed together in a rental stall at Dean Moon's shop in Santa Fe springs, California.  After Shelby got going, he moved everything to Lance Reventlow's old shop in Venice, California and Friedman was there to document it all!   And this was just the begining of the "Carroll Shelby Legend"!  BIT.LY/AW-SHELBY-VENICE               Have a Great night and a Awesome Tomorrow!  " MONGOOSE "                                                                                                                  

• 1 month later...

You are correct mongoose. As a matter fact, a week after Carroll Shelby passed away, I formed a cruise with a bunch it TS members to drive over to Mooneyes.  I even asked and got access to the actual garage bay the first Cobra was put together in. I also made arrangements for each of our members  each  to pull our cars in that very bay for a picture op! It was awesome!

To: Denstang 65 /  tesgt350 and 66GT350PS ,   Gentlemen,  all three of your posts are Awesome!   Lets all try and keep Carroll's Legend a "Alive and Kicking" so the younger generation can still appreciate all of his accomplishments!:clapping:

Talk at Ya,  Later!

"MONGOOSE"

I love seeing all the very cool pics from the early days! :)  I wonder were all those coupes are now!:shift:   I'll try and post some really cool pics from the early days of Carroll Shelby in hopefully the near future!

Talk at Ya,   Later!

"MONGOOSE"

Thanks for the info on his book! I might just half to go and check it out in the near future!  I already have a authograph copy of the book "GO LIKE HELL" that the Author was promoting a few years back at Road America, Very Cool!:clapping:

Haven't gotten the Venice Years book, but it's on the radar for me. I'm working on the John Morton book, and it's been pretty entertaining. Also picked up the book 'Carroll Shelby: A collection of my favorite photos' at the same time from B&N. Lots of good photos. In addition the crown piece in my book collection is Daytona: The Racing Cobras by Friedman. It's just, well, the best piece on the subject. Need to pick up Chuck Cantwells new GT350 book.

Also, there 'may' be a Mach 1 / Builltt book out later this year. But you didn't hear it from me.

• 1 month later...

Here's some very cool pictures from David Friedman's 2008 Garage Scenes wall border. Here is were a lot of the awesome cars were built and Legends were made like the Gt-40,Shelby Cobra, the Shelby GT-350 and the awesome Daytona Cobra! I purchased the Garage Scenes wall border around 2009 at Road America.    I hope you enjoy the pics!   

Later!

"MONGOOSE"

IMG_0354__1523165135_24654.jpg

IMG_0356__1523164663_66781.jpg

IMG_0358__1523164809_17379.jpg

IMG_0360__1523164908_81658.jpg

IMG_0362__1523164975_99009.jpg

IMG_0363__1523165064_27764.jpg

OSHA would have had a field day in the shops in these photos. No chocks behind wheels of cars on jacks, people with their heads and body in fender wells with just jack stands. Tools and parts scattered all over the floor to trip over. No safety glasses, no ear plugs. No fire extinguishers in sight. No minimum clearance height on air hose drops   No safety signs, no eye wash stations. No first aid kits, no work gloves, no lift assist devices………… safety gear?.........we don’t need no stinkin’ safety gear!……………….

Edited by mhr1961
spelling

4 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

Did I see a wooden block between that jackstand and the underbody on that 350, on the pass. side???????

:drop:

We've come a very loooooong way!

Nah, there is a shop rag resting on top of that  jack stand  on the pass side and that stand isn't touching the car. The box is set back under the car on the floor and looks like a cardboard box.....probably parts. Also, that's still a Mustang, it's not a GT350......yet.

I am guessing that guy under the front of the car is not wearing steel toe shoes either........

Edited by mhr1961

Very cool posts from all you guys!  Way back then, those were the days to be a Wrench or a Gear Head!  Just plain hard and honest workers, and no bullshit like time studies and computers and all the rest of the stuff that goes with it! They built it right the first time and they took great pride in their work!:)             P. S.   I would of liked the pictures of David Friedman's 2008 Garage Scenes to have been clearer, and I even took them twice!   But I guess it must of been a lighting issue or something because they look awesome in person.

Later!

"MONGOOSE"   :peelout: