TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer Mark ups - what is eveyone seeing

KRman68

From what I understand this is being produced through 2009 so my number is correct?

Regardless, even if it isn't 27,000 the prices will come down to MSRP. There aren't 19,000 people that can afford to pay 60k for a Mustang at the end of the day I don't care how many people think that will happen.

This is a pretty unique car and has a good following but I don't think it has that many people that can afford to pay such a high price for the car at the end of the day.

I'll get mine for MSRP, I don't buy into the hype or 'omg they will be this forever get one now!!!" It just doesn't add up.

Things that will be helping drive down the cost to MSRP or under:

- Release of competition such as Camaro and Challenger etc..

- Saturation of the market, the dealers can't afford to keep sitting on them waiting for another fat fish to land.

My .02 cents.

-DC

There has never been any official word on this being built for 09. Only rumors being spread on the internet. To this day Ford and SVT both keep saying no for 09.

But IF they did end up building this for 09 then you will definitely see MSRP and likely below that and even possible rebates before it is all over.

As for the Camero and Challenger, those will just start hitting the market near the end of final production on this car. The GT500 is a two year run only. The Challenger and Camero from my understanding will be an ongoing production like regular mustangs. But either way, those will both have ADM's added in the beginning as well. So with ADM's on the new Challenger and Camero I would prefer buying the GT500 due to its limited production and being a Shelby.

They built over 10K GT500's for 07. Over 90% have been sold. With about a 1,000 left plus 8K for 08, is there another 9,000 buyers out of 300 million people that could and will buy them? Probably.

Regardless of what happens, I think the best deals will be had between Oct - Jan. Possibly Feb. After March I think you may see higher ADM's because final production will be coming to an end and whatever is left is all there will be. Assuming of course Ford sticks to their word to what they have been saying up until now that there will not be an 09. If that happens the bottom will fall out on these. I might even buy another one in 09 myself. Should be able to get D-Plan then!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where do you get 27,000 from????

They made 10,864 for 07 and are only making 8,000 for 08. That is 18,864. A long way from 27,000! They would need to build it for a 3rd year to get that.

Word is already leaking out that a 2009 run will happen. Also 8000 is not confirmed for 08 either. Word has it that 10k in 08 is likely depending on supply of parts etc.

Word is already leaking out that a 2009 run will happen. Also 8000 is not confirmed for 08 either. Word has it that 10k in 08 is likely depending on supply of parts etc.

This is a quote from Ford on May 17th, 2007:

"""Shelby GT 500 Allocation and Distribution Plan

For the 2008MY the U.S. Ford dealership production is approximately 8,000 units. Shelby GT500 Certified Dealers are eligible for the following allocation:

(1) incremental unit for 2006 Presidents Award winners

(1) "coverage" unit for any dealer enrolled and certified in the Shelby GT500 Dealer Program

Remaining production will be based on Mustang Share of Nation formula.

Former SVT & SVT Focus Dealers will not receive incremental allocation, as they did last year

Individual allocation and scheduling will be communicated by your facing Regional Sales Office""""

For those who got MSRP you were lucky, as others have said most were before dealers knew how much ADM they could get from these cars. For those who are waiting for MSRP as I was, you too may get lucky. The market is funny on this car. Several people very knowledgeable about the auto sales market have been surprised by this car not reaching MSRP sooner and a few have predicted that it may never reach it. Many factors have driven up the interest in this car. There are other factors that may end this era of performance cars very soon just like the seventies. I can tell you this, I got the color, options and 30 miles from home last week at 5 over when the neighboring dealers all still want 12,15 and 25 over. I have been blessed to have owned a-lot of performance cars including some real classics that are in strong demand today. I can tell you that none of them looked, drove, handled, performed, cornered, brake'd with comfort as good as this one. There is always room for improvement but in my opinion they pretty much nailed it. The more people who learn about this car the more who will want one.

For those who got MSRP you were lucky, as others have said most were before dealers knew how much ADM they could get from these cars. For those who are waiting for MSRP as I was, you too may get lucky. The market is funny on this car. Several people very knowledgeable about the auto sales market have been surprised by this car not reaching MSRP sooner and a few have predicted that it may never reach it. Many factors have driven up the interest in this car. There are other factors that may end this era of performance cars very soon just like the seventies. I can tell you this, I got the color, options and 30 miles from home last week at 5 over when the neighboring dealers all still want 12,15 and 25 over. I have been blessed to have owned a-lot of performance cars including some real classics that are in strong demand today. I can tell you that none of them looked, drove, handled, performed, cornered, brake'd with comfort as good as this one. There is always room for improvement but in my opinion they pretty much nailed it. The more people who learn about this car the more who will want one.

Well said.

:superhero:

Completely agree. I just picked mine up today. A little under 7 over, but color and options I wanted and only 40 miles from home. I wanted an 07 and wasn't willing to see if the price would come down to MSRP before they were gone. (The last three I looked at went far above MSRP (10K+) before I even had the chance to make an offer on them) The 0% financing was the icing on the cake. They let me finance everything including the ADM, tax, doc fees, and temp tag. First time I've ever paid over MSRP for a car and I couldn't be happier!

Still holding at 15K over MSRP in Minnesota, so for you who like to see %, that's 30%.

I've seen less, but you must be talking about Deml ... let them sit on it and rot. Rochester Ford sold 3 for $10k over and I'm sure I can find $2-3k if I work hard enough this fall.

Saw one at a dealership in Tampa last week. Black w/red. Just for the fun of it, I asked the sales manager what the bottom line was on the car. He said " exactly what the sticker says ($60,000)." I got my car 1100 miles away and paid $5000 over plus $1100 for shipping. Have never been happier. This car is the ultimate so if you are waiting, you may be sorry. Just my opinion

Saw one at a dealership in Tampa last week. Black w/red. Just for the fun of it, I asked the sales manager what the bottom line was on the car. He said " exactly what the sticker says ($60,000)." I got my car 1100 miles away and paid $5000 over plus $1100 for shipping. Have never been happier. This car is the ultimate so if you are waiting, you may be sorry. Just my opinion

<rolleyes>

If that were such a super price for the car, there wouldn't be ANY GT500's on the lot. I'm sorry, but the market of people that will pay 60k for a Mustang isn't such a vast pool as to overwhelm production and keep the ADM up through the production run. MSRP is on the way, people are already getting them for 5k over here and there, it's just a matter of time.

You guys had the means to be 'first kid on the block' but most families and people don't have the luxury and means to put 20k over into a car at the end of the day. College for kids, bills, etc.. The person that has 60k and up to spend on a car is generally a more snooty individual and will probably spend their money on a low level Porsche or the luxury car/suv flavor of the month be it Lexus or BMW etc.. Mustang enthusiasts are a rare breed comparatively speaking, else all these cars would already be gone for 60k+ with people crying for more.

This is a 43k car, and I think it's really a 40k car when you compare it's improvements over the 2004 Cobra which was 36.5k for MSRP. I think the extra 3k came from the Shelby name being stuck on it at the end of the day.

I'm glad you guys have your cars, this isn't a post saying anything negative about those who paid the ADM etc.. If you're happy, great, I'm happy for you, but realistically the ADM's are going to peter out given enough patience.

my .02 cents

-DC

When I first started looking into buying this car (which I had dreamed about for years) two years ago, I was sure ADMs would disappear as quickly as they did (around here-CO, at least) in 2003, so I was very reluctant to pay anything over MSRP. But then, as I started to call 40 -50 dealers in my state and surrounding states, I started to wonder if I wasn't going to end up being completely out of luck--no Shelby! Finally I found one for 5k over, 400 miles a way, ordered and waited 6 mo- I've had it 7 months, it has 4500 miles on it, and I've loved driving each and every mile. Around here it seems dealers are still asking 10k over on average, but I'm reading about more 5k ADMs on this site, so maybe ADMS are finally going away. If so, fine by me--I'm happy for those of you who have been patient if you get to keep your 5 or 10 or 15k, but I'm no longer so sure it is ever going to happen, and I love the car so much, I'm way cool with what I paid.

CC

Still holding at 15K over MSRP in Minnesota, so for you who like to see %, that's 30%.

I know a dealer in the Twin Cities who has a 08 scheduled for build in the next month - $8k over. I tried to get less - no deal.

PM me if you want their contact info.

Last fall there were several people on this forum stating that if you wait until spring of '07 there will be GT500's sitting on lots at MSRP or less and probably with rebates on them. Some of these people now admit they were wrong, some still think they will be at MSRP before long. All I know is that if you want one from our local dealer it's $5000 over MSRP, but they still have a list for '07's and those people get first shot at '08's. The list still has more people on it than they have allocation for, so their '08's are sold out too. I believe most of them sitting on lots right now were purchased from other dealers for over MSRP, and those dealers are not wanting to lose money on those cars. Either that or it's dealers that know they will only get a couple '08's and want to maximize the profit on the few cars they will get. Can't blame them for trying, they are their cars after all.

Ford could have really kept the ADM's going crazy if they would have made all '08 GT500's KR's. They could have bumped the horsepower a little bit, slapped KR stickers on the sides and put on a different hood, and the '08 ADM's would be as bad if not worse than the '07's, so they probably did everybody who hasn't got one yet a favor by not changing the basic car and having the KR be an upgrade by Shelby Automotive like the Supersnake and 40th anniversary package.

My opinion is if you really want one don't let a few thousand dollars keep you from getting it. What's a few thousand dollars going to mean thirty years from now when you're out in your garage waxing it and thinking about how much fun you've had driving it.

....stopped by Sunset ford in Westminister, CA today: 2 GT500s for $30K ADM and a Shelby GT $10K plus an extra $500 for the Shelby Package. Was also in Rancho Santa Margarita Ford today and they had a 'vert GT500 for $14K ADM. I guess the 30 minute drive would be worth $16K. :hysterical:

....stopped by Sunset ford in Westminister, CA today: 2 GT500s for $30K ADM and a Shelby GT $10K plus an extra $500 for the Shelby Package. Was also in Rancho Santa Margarita Ford today and they had a 'vert GT500 for $14K ADM. I guess the 30 minute drive would be worth $16K. :hysterical:

I bought a Van from them back in 92. Sunset. They didn't have any ADM on those! :hysterical:

I know Santa Margarita but I don't think there was a Ford dealer there yet.

Those waiting for MSRP deals may eventually get them. However, it is far from a certainty and there remains some risk they won't, in which case they will have to settle for a used one (assuming they must have the car). In some sense, you might consider the ADM an insurance premium against that risk. How much a premium one can tolerate is a personal decision and to each their own.

Found your problem = Found car in CA

....ain't that the truth.

I don't think there will be any MSRP deals on GT500s until at least the end of the 2008 run. However, a dealer can ask whatever they want on the sticker. The whether or not an ADM gets paid can't be determined without buying the car. I am not about to sit around for five hours trying to negotiate just to see what the true ADM is. Heck, there is even a VW dealer around here asking a $1000 ADM on Jettas, Bugs and Passats. I think some dealers believe they can start the bargaining process above a MSRP.

A dealer called me yesterday and said they just got a 2007 in. Wanted 20k over for it. Another dealer here in Phoenix has 2 cars and wants 15k over for each. Glad I have made my deal and am not swimming around in this stuff anymore. I only talked to them because someone I know is looking for a 07.

A dealer called me yesterday and said they just got a 2007 in. Wanted 20k over for it. Another dealer here in Phoenix has 2 cars and wants 15k over for each. Glad I have made my deal and am not swimming around in this stuff anymore. I only talked to them because someone I know is looking for a 07.

I honestly never expected MSRP this early on, the car is a sweet ride :)

I think end of 08 is probably a more likely bet and I think we'll see an 09. Either way it's fun to watch wait and dream.

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately ebay is not a good indicator of where the market is going unless you only look at the completed listings and look at the cars that actually sold.

Over 95% of all vehicles listed on ebay never sell on ebay. It has always been that way.

That is not true. Much more than 5% of GT500s have sold for less than $55K. The ones that generally do not sell on eBay are the clueless dealers still trying to get more than $10K to $15K over MSRP. There are many Hertz Shelbys that originally sold in dealer auctions from $60K to $90K and they routinely sell on eBay for less than $40K if they get the reserve price at all and it is set below $40K.

Unfortunately ebay is not a good indicator of where the market is going unless you only look at the completed listings and look at the cars that actually sold.

Over 95% of all vehicles listed on ebay never sell on ebay. It has always been that way.

That is not true. Much more than 5% of GT500s have sold for less than $55K. The ones that generally do not sell on eBay are the clueless dealers still trying to get more than $10K to $15K over MSRP. There are many Hertz Shelbys that originally sold in dealer auctions from $60K to $90K and they routinely sell on eBay for less than $40K if they get the reserve price at all and it is set below $40K.

I have no idea where you got that information, there was essencially no inventory for 5 months of production (gt500). Dealers had to have special training done (charged by Ford) and had to make up the difference. No doubt the cars are softer than when first introduced, but they really are a steel compared with much of the 500hp market.

I view this similar to a degree to the Mid engine gt market. Really high prices for the first batch (plus having connections) then just high prices then a softening. Now the Ford Gts have gone back up as production ended. It is sort of a bad comparison, (as is the 03 04 Cobra earlier in the thread) but the best I can think of. BTW did you follow how strong 03 04 Cobras were in the used market!

Going rate in Dallas, Tx seems to be aroung $ 8,000 over MSRP. Know of a couple guys that got $ 5,000 over on 2008. One of the dealer here won a 2008 KR in a lottery and sold it for $ 40,000 over MSRP. Guess who the buyer was? Another Ford Dealer...Heard several dealers have taken $ 60,000 over MSRP for 2008 KR and they don't know if they even will get one.

Last November, I went to my dealer, they had one, price- 75k.....haggled etc. paid 68k yup.( but also got an excellent price for my trade in GT)...simple, where I live , availability etc..I called a few other dealerships within 100 miles, they said that was high and to be patient it would come down...nope, at least not here....they are on the floor for 82.500 ( non conv.)...I have seen just one on the road, since I have had mine....when I picked up my car last week, they said they are getting close to their adm..thats why they bumped the price etc...

Archived