TEAM SHELBY FORUM

does FORD have the parts for both airbags available yet?

venom

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, Jeff Gabris said:

Took my 2007 Shelby GT500 for airbag replacement today.  They replaced my drivers side cover with a plain Cobra, not happy at all!

I have 800 miles on my car and had it signed by Shelby wanted everything original!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Not happy!

Screenshot_20180713-084605 (1).jpg

Went to Woodward Cruise as part of Team Shelby Dearborn Invasion on Mustang Alley in Ferndale. Met two guys from Airbag Recall team. Complained about this problem. They took my name and number. Valerie called me Monday morning, gave her my serial number. She called dealer (Dean Sellers, Troy, MI). They called me this morning, went in at 10:45. At 11:00 I was driving out with Shelby GT500 black wheel center installed. I guess third time's the charm.

Valerie said I could give her number for help with air bag problems: (313) 621-0641

DSC02911c.JPG

Edited by jguyer

Called to check on mine for the Ford GT.  I was told that I had the reacall done :).  Seems that someone used the wrong VIN in a air bag swap on a house call (which is allowed on Ford GTs.)  Several hours tracking down the mystery dealer and when I found out where he was I knew exactly what happened.  Now Ford has to get the OASIS entries corrected - so that his has it recorded as being done and mine is clear so my dealer can order the parts. 

34 minutes ago, jguyer said:

Went to Woodward Cruise as part of Team Shelby Dearborn Invasion on Mustang Alley in Ferndale. Met two guys from Airbag Recall team. Complained about this problem. They took my name and number. Valerie called me Monday morning, gave her my serial number. She called dealer (Dean Sellers, Troy, MI). They called me this morning, went in at 10:45. At 11:00 I was driving out with Shelby GT500 black wheel center installed. I guess third time's the charm.

Valerie said I could give her number for help with air bag problems: (313) 621-0641

DSC02911c.JPG

That's the same spot I walked up on the same 2, boy did they get an earful from me on this matter!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had both driver and passenger sides replaced a couple of weeks ago on my 2008. The only parts replaced were the inflators behind the bags, what is seen while sitting in the driver and passenger seats were reused, no changes to the covers. 

I have pictures of each side being removed, the inflators replaced with the units laying on the work station and the re-install of each................and I am still getting recall notices!!!

R

Edited by Robert M

The problem here is getting an appointment at the Ford dealer to get it done.  Shortage of mechanics has caused delays.  My 2011 GT350 is finally done and they were careful to not do any damage to the CS signed panel.  Now to get the wife's 2011 Mustang GT done on the passenger side.  It is a quick job that only takes a trained mechanic about 20-30 minutes, but the car sometimes has to wait a few hours in line, even with an appointment, before they get to it.   Whenever I have gone into service for oil change or other work, I have left copies of the copious amount of Ford recall notices on the seat.

• 1 month later...

I got my GT (the GT and Mustang share parts) done a couple of weeks ago.  It was a disaster.  It started off three months ago with Ford claiming I'd had the recalls done already.  It turned out that the original owner had an in-house job done and they used my VIN on one of his cars.  It took three months to get it straightened out.  Finally get it done and it took a month to schedule.  Service guy in and out and seemingly not real interested in getting it done.  Finally nailed him on a date.  Got Ford to foot the bill to pick up the car (a Ford GT perk).  Got it there, did the recall and from the dealer it was supposed to go to a shop managed by the main high performance vehicle guy at the dealer chain.  Well, he says it will be three weeks now.  So I cancel about $3K of work with him and will do it myself.  Want them to tow the car back to my place instead of the shop and Ford says the tow was one way.  Well, it's really an allowance and the service guy blew it on the "to the dealer" part.  Fortunately I had AAA and got the car back home OK.  Now it's time to change the oil and undo all the mods to put it back to stock and hopefully get this thing sold. 

Bottom line is if you're in Vegas I cannot recommend Gaudin Ford or Ford Country (same management).  Ackerman is a cool guy but he's got some incompetent fools working for him.

Edited by twobjshelbys

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, jguyer said:

DSC02911c.JPG

I have a custom center decal om my 2008 Shelby BJ Mustang and Aron Shelby signed dash cover.  I have ignored recall not wanting the airbag cover on steering wheel replaced with a new Tri Pony Logo.  I figured a competent mechanic that takes their time could replace the passenger side but not letting Ford touch driver side...….

Just my thoughts    GG

de

Edited by TAPD117

8 hours ago, TAPD117 said:

I have a custom center decal om my 2008 Shelby BJ Mustang and Aron Shelby signed dash cover.  I have ignored recall not wanting the airbag cover on steering wheel replaced with a new Tri Pony Logo.  I figured a competent mechanic that takes their time could replace the passenger side but not letting Ford touch driver side...….

Just my thoughts    GG

As stated in other posts in this thread they only replace the canister behind the airbag itself. The original parts "should" remain. I have also watched a video of how the work is done if I can find it I will attach it to this thread. I would think if you gave something in writing (with a picture of your center cap) to the service manager stating that the cap is not to be replaced, and have them sign it you should be good to go. Of course I still haven't had mine done yet because I don't trust the dealers in my area, once I hear from someone around me that had them done I will schedule it.

12 hours ago, TAPD117 said:

Just my thoughts    GG

de

As others have already mentioned if the dealership follows the correct recall procedure only the inflator canisters will be replaced which will leave the original covers in place. Unfortunately some dealerships have not followed the correct recall procedures and have ordered a complete airbag assembly through their parts department which results in both the inflator canister and cover being replaced.

Best suggestion I have for owners is when speaking with the service writer make sure the service writer understands the correct  replacement process and perhaps even have them make a note on the service ticket that inflator canister only is to be replaced.

One other suggestion is to pick your car up as soon as possible so that if there is a problem the dealership will not have time to have "lost" your original airbag cover. 

Steve

I made an appointment...

When arriving for my appointment I had my service writer bring the Service Mgr out to my car, I had them look at my passenger side airbag cover with my autograph. Took a picture with both of them there. The Mgr assured me that they would take great care of my car, I wasn't the 1st customer that had the same concerns. Plus I waited for my car, no way in hell I was dropping it off. Took less than 30 minutes.

No regrets since everyone was on the same page....

On 1/15/2019 at 11:11 PM, stpracer43 said:

Passenger side completed last Friday here in Kennesaw, GA.  Both mine are good now!

Yes, they are serious...  I received 5 letters and a postcard last year.

Tidwell Ford? My B-I-L sells cars there.... We bought our new Taurus from him.

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, dragpack70 said:

Has anyone else received a special recall card for GT500 owners offering to have the airbags replaced at home?  If so, how did it work out?

I got that card for my GTS (Mustang GT). When I asked my dealer for the mobile service they knew nothing about it and wouldn't offer it. When I took the car in for the replacement I showed them the postcard and they just shrugged their shoulders. 

15 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Not that I'm aware of, please tell us more.

Steven

The post card has a toll free number, different from the many other recall notices, to call for them (as an intermediary) to arrange a mobile repair.  Searching the Internet for remote/mobile repair gave up this .pdf:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCMN-15V319-0683.pdf

This document indicates that other non-fomoco facilities may do the airbag replacements after "proper" training.  I was wondering if anyone successfully using the process had a Ford technician, or someone else show up to do the work.

8 hours ago, dragpack70 said:

The post card has a toll free number, different from the many other recall notices, to call for them (as an intermediary) to arrange a mobile repair.  Searching the Internet for remote/mobile repair gave up this .pdf:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2015/RCMN-15V319-0683.pdf

This document indicates that other non-fomoco facilities may do the airbag replacements after "proper" training.  I was wondering if anyone successfully using the process had a Ford technician, or someone else show up to do the work.

Good to know. To be honest I don't even look at those recall postcards anymore as they were arriving so often.

Wonder what incentive will be next, gift card perhaps?

Steven

I remember seeing something on the news a few months ago that someone (Toyota or Nissan?) actually had guys driving around looking in parking lots etc at VIN numbers to see if the recall was outstanding and doing the change right there when the owner showed up.    Everyone is taking the recall pretty seriously.

I had the drivers side done some time ago.  Got the car back with three nice new scratches on the center console.  Told the service managers about it and they were completely uninterested.  Last week took it back in to same dealer to have passenger side done.  Service manager wrote it up & asked for keys.  I declined and said when you are ready for it you come get me.  I never left the drivers seat while it was done.  Easy job, about 20 minutes. 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:14 PM, twobjshelbys said:

I remember seeing something on the news a few months ago that someone (Toyota or Nissan?) actually had guys driving around looking in parking lots etc at VIN numbers to see if the recall was outstanding and doing the change right there when the owner showed up.    Everyone is taking the recall pretty seriously.

While I'm sure others are doing the same it was Honda that was doing this knocking on doors outreach program. Honda even offered to tow your Honda to the dealership for the recall airbag replacement.

Seems like Ford mails me a postcard every two weeks for my vehicle but all Ford has offered was a loaner car from the dealership, I've not received any at home/office replacement offers.

Steven

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

While I'm sure others are doing the same it was Honda that was doing this knocking on doors outreach program. Honda even offered to tow your Honda to the dealership for the recall airbag replacement.

Seems like Ford mails me a postcard every two weeks for my vehicle but all Ford has offered was a loaner car from the dealership, I've not received any at home/office replacement offers.

Steven

Probably was Honda.  It was a while ago.

As far as I know, at least right now, the home visit is for Ford GT.  I expect it will be expanded at some point.  It would be easy to collect a batch of cars and send someone out to service them as a group.  Sure you (the owner) might have to hang around for a while but it couldn't be any worse than waiting for an appliance repair.

The latest Ford headquarters to Ford Dealers "memo" encourages a few new things like having the dealer train a subcontractor, who could theoretically offer off-site replacement,  and also allowing the replacement be done in their quick lane (so no waiting at the service department for a bay).  It might slow down someone getting an oil change but it's better for the air bag.  Really, someone who has done the driver side could probably do it in 10 minutes, passenger side on most cars in 15 to 20.