TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT/SC Upgrade

spacecoastshelby

I am pretty sure the GT/SC upgrade is still available for the 2007-2008 SGT. Hopefully they will respond to your inquiry soon.I think perhaps they have been busy recently with SEMA.

Edited by mhr1961

Have left several messages with Shelby in Vegas, but have not had a return call.

Anyone know if they are still doing the factory SC upgrade for the 2007 Shelby GTs?

Thanks!

Yes the GT/SC package is still an open program here at Shelby American. Without knowing when and with who you left messages with all I can suggest is that you call back and ask for Matt Giles who is the sales department manager or ask for Chris Ruby who is the lead sales person.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I will keep trying.

Do you know if they offer engine rebuilds as well? My Shelby has been enjoyed every day, and is up there on the mileage, so I was thinking a fresh rebuild to go along with a supercharger upgrade, would be perfect!

No engine rebuilds anymore now that the Speedshop is gone.

When you say up there in mileage, how many miles are we talking about? Supercharging engines with a good chunk of miles already on them is not optimistic.

True. Anything over 20K miles on a 10+ year old car is not a good option for a SC upgrade.

New complete engine (completely installed turn key) = $20K++

Whipple SC installed (turn key) options =$11K

Total engine & SC = $30K-$35K

If you did all the work=$20k ++

True. Anything over 20K miles on a 10+ year old car is not a good option for a SC upgrade.

Why not? What info do you have to support this? I think there are way too many variables to make blanket statements such as these which may confuse the public. My Hertz car was rented for the first 24K miles and obviously shaken out a few times during that stint (: A Whipple was installed at around 25K miles using a conservative tune, large pulley (9 psi) and intercooled setup. My car now has about 50K miles and it's doing awesome with routine maintenance including the original automatic transmission. That's a pretty good testament to the durability of the 4.6 considering all the miles of rental duty prior to supercharging. If somebody wanted to add power to their 20K+ mile Mustang or Shelby that has been well cared for and those miles have a lot of highway to them I see no issue based on my real world experience. I think there are plenty of supercharged Mustangs and Shelbys still kicking that are well into 100K plus miles.

I'm not saying the OP should add forced induction to his car, as I don't know how those miles were accumulated or how his car was maintained. I agree it would be a good idea to build up the motor of a 125K mile car before adding power. He also didn't state what his final power and use goals are, so that has a TON to do with this decision.

I'm reading from a dollars and cents comment. A 135k mile very nice condition Shelby GT might pull $12k - $15k in "steet" value. A 135k mile supercharged Shelby may pull $16 - $18k...true GT/SC with same mileage maybe $20k.

I think the unwritten point is why not just spend $8k - $10k by trading to a lower mileage car, put $10k into a SC and you would have less $ into a more valuable car?

Unless like Steve said: if he wants to build a monster. Then all notion of $$ goes out the window, because monsters are hungry all the time and if you let them out to play they eat money. Damn fun to play with though!!

Edited by mfield2a

All really good points! I guess the whole idea of trading for a GT/SC is probably the best way to go, its just you get a little attached to your car over time. But it makes the most dollars and cents sense.

No plan to build a monster car, it will continue to be a daily driver that supplemts coffee in the morning commute, and makes the evening drives more pleasant.

With all that said, if anyone knows of a nice GT/SC for sale, or coming up for sale, please pass it along! Maybe I just get another car and have two in the stable!!

Why not? What info do you have to support this? I think there are way too many variables to make blanket statements such as these which may confuse the public. My Hertz car was rented for the first 24K miles and obviously shaken out a few times during that stint (: A Whipple was installed at around 25K miles using a conservative tune, large pulley (9 psi) and intercooled setup. My car now has about 50K miles and it's doing awesome with routine maintenance including the original automatic transmission. That's a pretty good testament to the durability of the 4.6 considering all the miles of rental duty prior to supercharging. If somebody wanted to add power to their 20K+ mile Mustang or Shelby that has been well cared for and those miles have a lot of highway to them I see no issue based on my real world experience. I think there are plenty of supercharged Mustangs and Shelbys still kicking that are well into 100K plus miles.

I'm not saying the OP should add forced induction to his car, as I don't know how those miles were accumulated or how his car was maintained. I agree it would be a good idea to build up the motor of a 125K mile car before adding power. He also didn't state what his final power and use goals are, so that has a TON to do with this decision.

Basic understanding of age and mileage, that is the supporting information...IMHO. But obviously you have a different opinion that is what makes this site go around.

So if you want to make the move go ahead, you've had all the opinions and information. Also it is your pocket book, If you've got a lot of money do it, if you don't buyer beware with 135,000 miles on a Shelby Mustang.

Good luck with it either way.

Yeah no way I would supercharge a stock 3V with that many miles especially if you are having Shelby do it. No need to do it twice. Honestly, in this day an age with so many high HP cars out there, you can't boost a stock 3V enough to keep up. I would put a built engine in it first, run around on it for a while to break it in, then send it to Shelby or put on the blower yourself. As a reminder of what can happen to boosting stock 3V's, I just took the heads off my 2001 Mercury outboard and found this.

WP_20171209_002.jpg

WP_20171209_003.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2017 at 9:13 AM, SAI-Steven said:

Yes the GT/SC package is still an open program here at Shelby American. Without knowing when and with who you left messages with all I can suggest is that you call back and ask for Matt Giles who is the sales department manager or ask for Chris Ruby who is the lead sales person.

Steve

Yes definitely.  Just had my '07 upconverted, and both Matt and Chris were really helpful!  

Final Stages 1-20-19.jpg

One option is to look at a longblock from Modular Motorsports Racing (MMR). Shelby has used them in the past for engines. Best bet is to talk with Chris Ruby about the possibility of putting in an MMR race engine and go from there. He has a lot of experience making Shelby owners dreams come true.

6 hours ago, Len Musgrove said:

Yes definitely.  Just had my '07 upconverted, and both Matt and Chris were really helpful!  

Final Stages 1-20-19.jpg

Len you were lucky enough to get a very babied, low mileage Shelby GT from a very fussy owner! :thumbsup:      Just to clarify, by me saying “Fussy”, it is meant in a very good way!  The man loved his cars!    Just saying!     :)                                  :peelout:

• 3 months later...

Just got mine back from being upgraded to th SC package, and  tad more. We went with the brake upgrades, which meant she got new wheels as well, she needed a restripe, and we also added the Anti Hop. Dropped her off early May, just got her home. The bad news is they told me I got the last of the original trunk lettering, and they had to dig for those. 

1841.jpeg

1842.jpeg

1837.jpeg

Edited by Timmers3

• 2 months later...

Looking for info ,have a 2007 shelby gt 500/sc ,imported ex USA 2015 , car sold new in New York , has a paxton side mount s/c unit , understand s/c fitted at 2000miles , aftermarket possibly by an approved installer , then car shipped back to Shelby for brakes and other mods , anyone advise re thoughts as to how one might gather info, 

On 8/18/2019 at 9:16 AM, Timmers3 said:

Just got mine back from being upgraded to th SC package, and  tad more. We went with the brake upgrades, which meant she got new wheels as well, she needed a restripe, and we also added the Anti Hop. Dropped her off early May, just got her home. The bad news is they told me I got the last of the original trunk lettering, and they had to dig for those. 

Your Shelby is looking great. Don't worry about the trunk letters, SAI will get more of them.

Now how about some photos of the car all finished with its new stripes.

Steven

3 hours ago, vern reeve said:

Looking for info ,have a 2007 shelby gt 500/sc ,imported ex USA 2015 , car sold new in New York , has a paxton side mount s/c unit , understand s/c fitted at 2000miles , aftermarket possibly by an approved installer , then car shipped back to Shelby for brakes and other mods , anyone advise re thoughts as to how one might gather info, 

Email me you cars VIN number and I'll see what info SAI has on file for it.

stevent@shelby.com