TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Impressions of '17 SS

After 5 months and about 1,300 miles (it's got to share fun driving duty with two other newer cars and 3 oldies), here are my impressions of my 2017 670hp auto Ruby Red/White Super Snake coupe:

After having had both a 550 hp and 662 hp GT500, this car is head and shoulders above them. First and foremost, the handling is superb! Almost as good as a Z06, IMHO (I've had one.) Power is relentless and smooth, thought I wouldn't like the auto but I do, although there are times I'd like to row through a manual box. The looks of the car are amazing, I get a lot of comments, see people taking pictures, etc. Interior is great, love the seats (did not get the optional seats). The sound is what it should be for a car like this, really has almost that dragster sound under full throttle as the RPMs increase. It's a bit on the raw and brash side in a very good way. Got the performance wheel studs and those attract quite a bit of attention. Oh, yes, and polished wheels. I think us old guys like polished better than black, at least this old guy does, and they complete the package.

Other things and some nits:

• At first, there was a fair amount of surging under steady throttle at lower speeds (around town), but that has smoothed out with time as the car has broken in.
  • The brakes are floating rotors, and there was quite a bit of clicking from them when slowing to a stop. That sound has disappeared as more miles built up on the car.
  • Line Lock does not work. Could this be because of the change in brakes?
  • Sometimes the dash-top gauges do not work, and I have to unplug the module that connects to the OBDI port and plug it back in, then they work OK. This is only intermittent, not every time I start the car. Also, cannot program them for backlight color from an Android phone, only an Apple device. Android recognizes, but they don't listen.
  • The rear edge of the hood shakes a fair amount at highway speeds, to the point where you wonder if the hood is latched tight. Could use a bit of reinforcing in that area.
  • Bluetooth audio from my phone does not work with either Pandora or Sirius app. When first connecting, the sound is ok, but after several minutes on either service, the sound starts breaking up and getting choppy. I'm wondering if there is interference from the gauges and the module since they communicate by bluetooth also. Need to try connecting an iPod via bluetooth and see what happens.
  • After two trial runs, I figured out how to get the best launch and turned a 12.6 @ 113.85 at Bandimere in Denver, about 5,800 ft. altitude, about 85 degree day. Almost full tank of gas and didn't fiddle with tire pressures, this was first time at track with this car and wanted to get a feel for it. A GT350 was also there, didn't run directly agains it, ran 14.2 Confirmed my decision to get SS instead of GT350. However, an S600 AMG Mercedes ran 11.9! I have an SL63 AMG that ran 12.29, with 100 less horsepower. Not complaining about the 1/4 time, just need some polishing and practice. SS should beat SL.

Overall, I love this car, and anything mentioned above is more quirks and idiosyncrasies that I can live with because the whole package is great. I've had a C7 Z06, and MUCH prefer this car. Better looks, better sound, equal if not more power, handles almost as well, less expensive and you don't see yourself coming and going. And ricer fanboys seem to know what it is and generally leave it alone.

hisspower,

Autometer is aware of the connectivity problems with their airdrive gauges and are working on a solution.

I checked with the shop guys who in turn checked with Whipple and the line lock feature is not disabled. I found the line lock instructions below online, does this look the procedure you are using? Especially the 9 bullet points that will prevent the line lock from working.

USING LINE LOCK ON A 2015-2017 MUSTANG GT

First off, make sure you aren’t on a public road. We all know that burnouts are for track use only, hence the warning when you enter the Track Apps screen in the center screen of your gauge cluster. Once you’re in Track Apps, work your way over to the Line Lock Function and you will see a bar with two arrows on either side.

1. Prompt: “Hold OK to Initialize” - Hold the “OK” button on the steering wheel until the bar fills up completely. It will then say “Initialization Complete.”

2. Prompt: “To Engage, Firmly Apply Brake And Hold” - Push the brake pedal hard and hold it until the screen changes to a 15 second timer.

3. Prompt: “Engaged. Press OK to Begin” - You are now ready to roast some tires!

4. Press OK on the steering wheel again. You will then hear a noise and see the traction control light come on. Once you begin your burnout, you will have up to 15 seconds to heat your tires up before your drag run!

5. Once the the session is complete (or you push “OK”), the system will disengage and normal vehicle function will resume.

These conditions must be met in order for the Line Lock function to work correctly:

• The vehicle is on a level surface.
  • The engine is running.
  • The vehicle is stopped.
  • The parking brake is not applied.
  • The driver door is closed.
  • The transmission is in a forward gear.
  • The steering wheel must be in the straight ahead position.
  • Selectable Drive Mode is not in snow/wet mode (if equipped).
  • There are no AdvanceTrac faults.

Thanks for your response

I did follow the Line-Loc instructions as per the owner’s manual, they are as you sent. Display never changed to the timer. I won’t have a chance to give it another try for a while but I will when I can.

Does Autometer say if they think the Bluetooth gauge connection interferes with Bluetooth audio?

Thanks for your response

I did follow the Line-Loc instructions as per the owner’s manual, they are as you sent. Display never changed to the timer. I won’t have a chance to give it another try for a while but I will when I can.

Does Autometer say if they think the Bluetooth gauge connection interferes with Bluetooth audio?

Don't know. I would suggest giving Autometer a phone call for the best answer on that. Below is Autometers tech line info:

Toll Free Customer Service: 866.248.6356

Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM CST

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2017 at 11:25 AM, hisspower said:

After 5 months and about 1,300 miles (it's got to share fun driving duty with two other newer cars and 3 oldies), here are my impressions of my 2017 670hp auto Ruby Red/White Super Snake coupe:

After having had both a 550 hp and 662 hp GT500, this car is head and shoulders above them. First and foremost, the handling is superb! Almost as good as a Z06, IMHO (I've had one.) Power is relentless and smooth, thought I wouldn't like the auto but I do, although there are times I'd like to row through a manual box. The looks of the car are amazing, I get a lot of comments, see people taking pictures, etc. Interior is great, love the seats (did not get the optional seats). The sound is what it should be for a car like this, really has almost that dragster sound under full throttle as the RPMs increase. It's a bit on the raw and brash side in a very good way. Got the performance wheel studs and those attract quite a bit of attention. Oh, yes, and polished wheels. I think us old guys like polished better than black, at least this old guy does, and they complete the package.

• At first, there was a fair amount of surging under steady throttle at lower speeds (around town), but that has smoothed out with time as the car has broken in.
  • The brakes are floating rotors, and there was quite a bit of clicking from them when slowing to a stop. That sound has disappeared as more miles built up on the car.
  • Sometimes the dash-top gauges do not work, and I have to unplug the module that connects to the OBDI port and plug it back in, then they work OK. This is only intermittent, not every time I start the car. Also, cannot program them for backlight color from an Android phone, only an Apple device. Android recognizes, but they don't listen.
  • The rear edge of the hood shakes a fair amount at highway speeds, to the point where you wonder if the hood is latched tight. Could use a bit of reinforcing in that area.
  • Bluetooth audio from my phone does not work with either Pandora or Sirius app. When first connecting, the sound is ok, but after several minutes on either service, the sound starts breaking up and getting choppy. I'm wondering if there is interference from the gauges and the module since they communicate by bluetooth also. Need to try connecting an iPod via bluetooth and see what happens.
  • After two trial runs, I figured out how to get the best launch and turned a 12.6 @ 113.85 at Bandimere in Denver, about 5,800 ft. altitude, about 85 degree day. Almost full tank of gas and didn't fiddle with tire pressures, this was first time at track with this car and wanted to get a feel for it. A GT350 was also there, didn't run directly agains it, ran 14.2 Confirmed my decision to get SS instead of GT350. However, an S600 AMG Mercedes ran 11.9! I have an SL63 AMG that ran 12.29, with 100 less horsepower. Not complaining about the 1/4 time, just need some polishing and practice. SS should beat SL.

Overall, I love this car, and anything mentioned above is more quirks and idiosyncrasies that I can live with because the whole package is great. I've had a C7 Z06, and MUCH prefer this car. Better looks, better sound, equal if not more power, handles almost as well, less expensive and you don't see yourself coming and going. And ricer fanboys seem to know what it is and generally leave it alone.

and compared to GT350R

1 hour ago, jdaallen said:

I take delivery of my '17 50th Anniversary Super Snake on January 22nd right after Barrett Jackson.  Really getting excited!!  White with blue stripes and loaded up with every option offered except painted stripes.

Congratulations

On 11/7/2017 at 11:25 AM, hisspower said:

Awesome.. I get mine next week can't wait. They just finished it or going to this week. 50th anniversary 750hp I can't wait. Racing Red white stripe.

I had the car shipped, wasn't able to pick it up at Shelby as we had hoped, and did not receive any manuals from Shelby, only the Ford manuals.  Nothing exceptional to expect other than what I went over in the original post.  After living with the car since July of '17, I can say I am very happy with it, with the minor exceptions of Line Loc not working, the instrument connectivity issue, and bluetooth audio issue.  I really don't want to have to buy a Sirius subscription for a car I don't drive a lot, but am unable to stream from my phone, nor does it work with Android Auto.  I will be at Barrett-Jackson this week and will talk to the Shelby people (I'm assuming they will be there) about these issues.  Overall, though, a great car I have no regrets about acquiring.

Thank you for the insight on your view of the Super Snake. I love my 2007 GT/SC, it is a fun car to drive and I do a lot.  It is stored from October to April western PA, couldn’t put it out even on a nice day, to much salt on the roads.  

My Super Snake should be done soon, it will be shipped in April I really started to get excited as Chris Ruby sent me some pictures of it during the build.  They did an awesome job it has exceeded my expectations,  the next couple months will be torture.  Plan on going to the Ford Nationals in Carlisle this year missed the last two.  

• 1 month later...

Yes finally got mine 2 weeks ago. Got 240 miles on her now and wow lots of fun. The car is more than I expected. I haven't tried everything out yet but all seems to be working like it should. I do have small issue with the hood seems that the hood latch could be adjusted down some more. The hood right where the latch is is up about 1/8 of inch and you can push it slightly and it matches perfectly. Besides that I haven't found anything else. If you want to see my delivery check it out at http://www.youtube.com/wazoo919 and the sound of my 1st start. Subscribe to my channel and you will get updates when I upload new videos. I will try some more soon. Love my Super Snake. 

Edited by Wazoo919

• 1 month later...

Received my 17 Super Snake April 6, Western Pennsylvania weather has kept it inside but I have managed to put 400 miles on it.  Wow what a great car, have not really got on it yet waiting for first oil change and some more miles.  Took it on the Turnpike love the exhaust sound, the way it rides is amazing.  My 2007 GT rides somewhat hard and the Snake with the larger wheels I thought might be worse, the ride is actually much better.  As stated previously the hood at highway speeds does bounce to the point it can be worrisome.  The hood latch on mine will need adjusted also it is difficult to unlatch,  takes several attempts to get it open.  Gauges all work well I was wondering if they hardwired them now because of past issues, pictures I received during the build my dash was disassembled like they may have run some wires.  Bottom line love the car worth the wait!!

When we were at BJ, I got to drove our friend's '17 convertible 750 hp SS, which they received quite a while after us.  The car did have different brand gauges.  I asked Shelby about that when I saw them and they did indeed change to a hard-wired type, as it seems there were others with my problem also.  My gauges seem to be working pretty well, more reliable if I drive the car frequently.  If they don't come on I just unplug and plug in the driver that is at the OBD port.  Shelby told me they also went to a different brand of brake because they were getting complaints about "ticking" from the floating discs at low speed, which is a normal sound.  I have had  motorcycles with floating discs and so was aware of and used to that sound, and over time it has disappeared.  Still very happy and looking forward to hitting the strip this year and see if I can better my best time last year of 12.6 at Bandimere in Denver, elev. 5.800'.  Need to fine tune my starting technique and settings, as well as run the tank down to very little for weight savings.  Full tanks don't help E.T.s.