TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Watts-Link suspension on Shelby Gt

The Fays is popular here for being a Shelby offering and is clearly well received by those that have it, but I’m curious if their are any opinions on other brands? Cortex, Griggs, Whiteline, etc. I know there is some difference between the way each locates the axle and how much can be adjusted.

The Fays has has always seamed like an ‘odd-ball’ setup with how it clamps to the axle.

The Watts link would have to be installed incorrectly for that bolt to come into contact with the diff cover, and you would see marks on the cover if that were the case. I've got about 1" of clearance between the bolt and my diff cover.

The KR diff cover has some cooling fins and is a bit thicker than the normal GT500. Next time I get it on the lift, Ill take a pix.

But after the initial install, there was only 1/4 clearance, if that much. No real variances in the install process as its a bolt-in deal. I do have the Shelby adjustable upper control arm and tweaked it a bit to pull the top part of the pumpkin forward without dramatically changing the pinion angle. Now have a bit more clearance.

The Watts bracket/propeller mechanism prevents a good look to see if there has been contact. But if you hit a significant bump, the axle could move rearward just enough to have the bolt hit the diff cover. Ill do some more looking on a lift.

The KR diff cover has some cooling fins and is a bit thicker than the normal GT500. Next time I get it on the lift, Ill take a pix.

But after the initial install, there was only 1/4 clearance, if that much. No real variances in the install process as its a bolt-in deal. I do have the Shelby adjustable upper control arm and tweaked it a bit to pull the top part of the pumpkin forward without dramatically changing the pinion angle. Now have a bit more clearance.

The Watts bracket/propeller mechanism prevents a good look to see if there has been contact. But if you hit a significant bump, the axle could move rearward just enough to have the bolt hit the diff cover. Ill do some more looking on a lift.

If you are having clearance issues, you may want to change to the Ford Racing low profile diff cover. That's what I'm running now. The tell tale sign will be if your diff cover is marked up. If not, then you probably don't have an issue with clearance. Hope not!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best mods I ever did to both my 07 SGT and my 08 GT500. The improvement was a bit more pronounced on the GT500, just cause it's so much more front heavy and being more off balance has more room for improvement, but it's still well worth it on an SGT. Like others have said, the car is just so much more stable and planted. I have no hesitation anymore applying power to push the car through a tight corner as I have no worry of the rear suddenly wanting to break loose on me.

The thunk could be from bottoming out on the bump-stops. That can happen with aggressive cornering or overweight. Potentially very dangerous. The rear wheels can come right off the ground!

There were folks in the past that took a hacksaw to them. I'm sure the thread is searchable...

• 2 weeks later...

The Fays is popular here for being a Shelby offering and is clearly well received by those that have it, but Im curious if their are any opinions on other brands? Cortex, Griggs, Whiteline, etc. I know there is some difference between the way each locates the axle and how much can be adjusted.

The Fays has has always seamed like an odd-ball setup with how it clamps to the axle.

I have the Whiteline. It was installed with the Ford Racing handling pack and LCA relocation brackets. What a beautiful set up. It was an instant improvement. Night and day. Feels like a go kart around corners. JDM Engineering recommended it over the Fays. And yes I have clunk occasionally.

Also had to remove my brand new FR adjustable panhard bar if anyone is looking for one.

I have the Whiteline..... And yes I have clunk occasionally.

I talked with Jim Fay about the clunk recently. He stated he is not aware of any reason why a watts link would create a clunk sound and stated if anyone had a problem that was a failure with his watts link to contact him immediately so he can help resolve. I'm wondering if the clunk is coming from the upper control arm? Mine becomes more prevalent on colder days below 60 degrees when I throw the car hard into a corner. Rarely happens over bumps in a straight line (if ever). I'd love to figure this out and make it go away.

I talked with Jim Fay about the clunk recently. He stated he is not aware of any reason why a watts link would create a clunk sound and stated if anyone had a problem that was a failure with his watts link to contact him immediately so he can help resolve. I'm wondering if the clunk is coming from the upper control arm? Mine becomes more prevalent on colder days below 60 degrees when I throw the car hard into a corner. Rarely happens over bumps in a straight line (if ever). I'd love to figure this out and make it go away.

My clunk never happens during driving. It happens when I'm coming to a stop. It sorta "Clunkbles." I know it's not a word, but mix of clunk and rumbles. Jim D'Amore of JDM said it is nothing to worry about. I trust him. He's done fantastic work on both my pony's.

• 2 weeks later...

My clunk never happens during driving. It happens when I'm coming to a stop. It sorta "Clunkbles." I know it's not a word, but mix of clunk and rumbles. Jim D'Amore of JDM said it is nothing to worry about. I trust him. He's done fantastic work on both my pony's.

Every time I’ve heard a ‘clunk’ from the rear of any vehicule it was always a drive shaft slip yoke that need to be cleaned and greased.

Every time I’ve heard a ‘clunk’ from the rear of any vehicule it was always a drive shaft slip yoke that need to be cleaned and greased.

Mine has a brand new driveshaft as the previous carbon shaft from PST failed on track back in the summer. Clunk was there before and after the new shaft install.

• 5 weeks later...

ok i didnt realize this thread had gone on.     the "thunk" i get is straight line. with an elevation change. like if a new section of road is paved and you go over that "lip" onto new pavment. if it is a hard sudden change like that. it thunks.  kinda sounds like it might be more to the left side but, it absolutely started the day of the watts link install. cornering seems great. and straight line accel is fine. hard braking is fine. only an elevation change at speed causes it.

15 minutes ago, SGT3477 said:

ok i didnt realize this thread had gone on.     the "thunk" i get is straight line. with an elevation change. like if a new section of road is paved and you go over that "lip" onto new pavment. if it is a hard sudden change like that. it thunks.  kinda sounds like it might be more to the left side but, it absolutely started the day of the watts link install. cornering seems great. and straight line accel is fine. hard braking is fine. only an elevation change at speed causes it.

That’s what mine did too.  When I went over a big pavement change under hard acceleration, I got a clunk.  If I backed off just before the bump, I didn’t get a clunk.

Otherwise, was smooth and worked great.

12 hours ago, SGT3477 said:

Mine happens more when I'm cornering hard.... Sometimes over a bump in the road.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got my car up on the rack and I think we found the problem of the clunking noise in the rear end.  Fortunately, it has nothing to do with the Watts Link.  The upper control arm is tired along with the differential bushing.  Makes sense as that is the only thing I have not replaced and the rubber is cracked.  New parts on order and I'll post up with the results after a spirited drive once the new UCA is installed.  

Thanks Viper for the update on the Watts Link.  I originally was considering one for my 08 Shelby GT, but after  hereing different stories about a clunking noise in the rear end I dropped that idea. I'll look forward to your update on this issue in the near future!!!! :thumbsup:

Later!

"MONGOOSE"       :peelout:

OK...…… New UCA installed and diff bushing.  Clunk still present, but now I really have to crank the steering wheel hard left to right to get it to happen whereas before it was much easier to replicate the noise.  I guess I'm going to have to call Mr. Fay again and figure this out.  

Update:  I had a chance to get under the car today.  I found the driver side arm of the watts link has been making contact with my exhaust and the passenger side bolts for the watts link arm have been making contact with the underside of the body.  Talked with Jim Fay and he believes the arms have moved since install and simply need to be adjusted.  I agree with that assessment and will get the car on the lift in the next day or so to set the arm angles and the proper angle and distance from the diff.  This should solve the issue although Jim did say he had heard the original shocks could be allowing the car to sag more than normal and if that is the case it is time to do the last suspension mod:  Coil-overs!

I need to pay more attention to my Gurney next time I’m out in it. You guys have me wondering now. I wish I knew exactly what the word “clunk” means to you all. 

In my opinion, that’s a relative term based on the fact that these cars with their performance suspensions, aren’t exactly “Lexus like” driving down the road. 

7 hours ago, BIKEBOY said:

I need to pay more attention to my Gurney next time I’m out in it. You guys have me wondering now. I wish I knew exactly what the word “clunk” means to you all. 

In my opinion, that’s a relative term based on the fact that these cars with their performance suspensions, aren’t exactly “Lexus like” driving down the road. 

You'll know BB.  This is not a normal high performance suspension sound.  It sounds like something is hitting metal on metal under the car.  Like tapping the underbody of your car with a hammer kind of clunk.  It took me a while to find out where it was making contact as I was looking in the wrong places.  At the end of the day, it is a clearance issue if/when the watts link is either installed improperly or it shifted over time.  I think my issue might be a little of both.  The guy that installed mine may not have really known what he was doing.  I quit using him soon thereafter and now I have access to a lift.

3 hours ago, ViperNC said:

You'll know BB.  This is not a normal high performance suspension sound.  It sounds like something is hitting metal on metal under the car.  Like tapping the underbody of your car with a hammer kind of clunk.  It took me a while to find out where it was making contact as I was looking in the wrong places.  At the end of the day, it is a clearance issue if/when the watts link is either installed improperly or it shifted over time.  I think my issue might be a little of both.  The guy that installed mine may not have really known what he was doing.  I quit using him soon thereafter and now I have access to a lift.

Thanks for the clarification Blake. Then I think my car is OK. I don’t have any really loud clunks. It’s the normal two piece driveshaft S197 chatter under there I think. 

Made the adjustments today.  No more clunk when putting lateral load on the rear suspension!   But..... the other clunk when I brake hard and then accelerate hard is still there.  Guess I'll have to take it back to my guy and see if he can figure it out.  I'm out of ideas.....

Viper, thanks for the continuing updates on the Watts Link!  Very informative info, I will continue to read your further updates. :)

Later!

"MONGOOSE"     :peelout:

I've had one more thought about the new noise.... it started happening after I installed the UCA from a '13/14 GT500.  Kelly at BMR suggested this would be a good upgrade without going with a fully adjustable UCA and increasing NVH.  He said it creates a better pinion angle, but now I'm beginning to wonder if the pinion angle is the problem and causing my carbon driveshaft to clunk under hard loads?  I'll be making the call to BMR tomorrow to discuss.

Don’t know if you have access to a lift, but you can check pinion angle real easy with an iPhone.  Just measure the angle at the back of the transmission and at the pinion snout.  I think mine were the same at about 3 degrees.

Suspension must be loaded and the car reasonably level.  Having an adjustable UCA is a must to make this work, especially if you have replaced the UCA mount on the chassis:  I noticed the UCA mounting holes on the heavy duty mount were different from stock.

• 1 year later...

Which watts link is a better choice, the shelby that are held by the axle tubes or the axle cover version. I am looking at the shelby manufactured ones.

Pros an cons?

Edited by duns