TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Watts-Link suspension on Shelby Gt

Just looking for some input.

I'm slightly considering getting the watts link suspension kit for my 2007 Shelby Gt.

Is it going to make much of a difference in the handling or ride quality if I mainly just do cruises by the beach and the occasional mountain carving spree on curvy local roads? I have yet to do any track time, but want to in the future. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

CSSHELBYKID

I felt it the moment I pulled out of my driveway. Money WELL spent.

The big misconception is that it's for the track. It's actually an overall improvement in the car's overall demeanor.

Jer

The big misconception is that it's for the track. It's actually an overall improvement in the car's overall demeanor.

Jer

How does it feel as a driver? Stiffer?

CSSHELBYKID

Essentially this is the last mod that I can do to my car. I love how the car feels as it is, although I was thinking of playing around with the adjustable front stabilizer bar that is on these, just for fun. It's my understanding that they were built using the softest setting.

CSSHELBYKID

How does it feel as a driver? Stiffer?

CSSHELBYKID

It's not about the "up and down". It's the axle-locating part of the equation. It means the rear end no longer tries to steer the car, bumps don't upset the car, etc...

I purchased mine years ago, still havent installed it. But everything I read said it was a great mod for the $$$

You just reminded me about my box sitting in my garage

Get it done! LOL....

Jer

I was constantly unhappy about the handling of my '09 car until I got the watts link. I opted for the Shelby aluminum watts link which was more expensive, but I did not want the extra weight. This has been the single most and by far the best improvement I've made to the car yet. Street handling has become predictable. Track performance has been exceptional. As Jer mentioned, this frees up the rear axle to follow the front wheels rather than try to fight them. I can put the power down in a corner coming out of an apex and I'm not worried about the car coming around on me. Previously the rear tires wanted to break loose and it was quite annoying. The car used to have a tendency to try to fishtail when you got on the power hard in a straight line. Now it just squats and goes.

Jer was the person who recommended the watts link to me when he worked at Shelby. I'm grateful he did.

Edited by ViperNC

Ditto to everything that has been said here...I added it to my SGT Conv a few years ago after a couple of full weekend trips to the track, and the difference after added was amazing. Just squats and goes is accurate. I had previously put the adjustable pan hard bar in and centered it at 1/2 - 2/3s a tank. Adjustable pan hard bar helped it look better and centered axle only while a certain amount of weight was over the back axle. The Watts Link makes you feel instantly more planted on the road or curve of the track.

So glad I made the change....and Jer was the one who recommended it to me as well!!!

He still ROCKS all the years later for what he did for us at SAI.

Andy.

Thanks everyone for all your input. Sounds to me that this mod just makes a great car even better. I think I will definitely be doing this in the near future.

One more question:

If I install the Watts Link does that mean this I need to adjust the panhard bar to re-center the axle?

CSSHELBYKID

Thanks everyone for all your input. Sounds to me that this mod just makes a great car even better. I think I will definitely be doing this in the near future.

One more question:

If I install the Watts Link does that mean this I need to adjust the panhard bar to re-center the axle?

CSSHELBYKID

It replaces the Panhard rod. So, you're all set.

Jer

Edited by Jer

Hey,

Glad to see so many of you realizing the benefit of the Watt's Link.

And, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the kind words. It really means a lot!

Jer

I purchased mine years ago, still havent installed it. But everything I read said it was a great mod for the $$$

You just reminded me about my box sitting in my garage

Thanks. Nice to know I'm not the only one that has one sitting around collecting dust.

Thanks. Nice to know I'm not the only one that has one sitting around collecting dust.

:)

Jer

Jer

Jer hit the nail on the head, it is an overall improvement regardless of what you do with the car. I love it on the street and it is great for the track.

• 3 weeks later...

i got mine on Jers' recommendation. he has not steered me wrong yet. i love it. i do get kind of a "thunk" sound if it is a large enough bump. but, the feel of the car is much tighter.

I get the same thunk when going over a bump while cornering. A little annoying, but well worth it to get the car to handle properly.

I'd be interested to hear more about this "thunk", or noise in the suspension.

The Watt's link is a left/right axle locating system. It should not influence travel compliance.

Maybe these 10 year old cars just need new shocks?

Jer

I'd be interested to hear more about this "thunk", or noise in the suspension.

The Watt's link is a left/right axle locating system. It should not influence travel compliance.

Maybe these 10 year old cars just need new shocks?

Jer

I have the Shelby Watts Link on my ‘09 KR and it thunks a bit when bottoming out. Not sure why. I made a slight adjustment to the pinion angle as maybe the propeller bolt might have been hitting the diff cover. Haven’t driven it much since to see if the thunk is still there.

Other than that, works great!

I have the Shelby Watts Link on my ‘09 KR and it thunks a bit when bottoming out. Not sure why. I made a slight adjustment to the pinion angle as maybe the propeller bolt might have been hitting the diff cover. Haven’t driven it much since to see if the thunk is still there.

Other than that, works great!

The Watts link would have to be installed incorrectly for that bolt to come into contact with the diff cover, and you would see marks on the cover if that were the case. I've got about 1" of clearance between the bolt and my diff cover.