TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Factory HURST Shifter Inquiry

BIKEBOY

This may have been talked about before, but now that my SGT has essentially become my new DD, I'm beginning to realize that the stock HURST ball hex retaining nut is a PITA.

I have literally begun to develop a callus on both my right middle and index fingers, from the sharp edges of the hex nut. I immediately remember it when I grab the shifter to back out of the garage.

Anyone else notice this? Anything we can do? Is there a more rounded nut with the HURST threads?

Thanks fellas!

BB

Hi Chris,

Not sure if yours has the original nut (see the photo with shift ball). Has only a small hex protruding from ball when installed.

You could use the other one, is called a Round Slotted Nut and use a key to tighten.

Just looked at my nut and maybe use it upside down with the hex into the ball.

Say if you slotted the end opposite the hex, so you can tighten with a screwdriver, then tighten the ball to it, start with the ball at the 4 - 5 o'clock location. Will be a bit hit and miss though.

shift_ball.jpg

round_slotted_nut.jpg

Good luck

Sam

Edited by NZ Shelby KR

Funny, at some point I got to where I actually feel for that nut with my thumb. I think I'd feel like something was wrong or missing if it wasnt there!

Hi Chris,

Not sure if yours has the original nut (see the photo with shift ball). Has only a small hex protruding from ball when installed.

You could use the other one, is called a Round Slotted Nut and use a key to tighten.

Just looked at my nut and maybe use it upside down with the hex into the ball.

Say if you slotted the end opposite the hex, so you can tighten with a screwdriver, then tighten the ball to it, start with the ball at the 4 - 5 o'clock location. Will be a bit hit and miss though.

shift_ball.jpg

round_slotted_nut.jpg

Good luck

Sam

Thanks Sam!! I need to find that part!

Bob, that's funny! It's bugging me.....

On a side note...I shipped my Gurney Eagle to Az. yesterday and in the trunk (among many other items) I put the brand new in the box, HURST Billet Shifter for it, to be installed when I get there to Phx to meet trucker boy. For the life of me, I cannot remember which style nut is in the box for that shifter??? If it's a hexagon nut, I'm gonna need two of 'em now Sam! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I installed the HURST Billet Aluminum shifter in my 2008 Dan Gurney car, and low and behold the hex nut is "shallower" (?) than the one in my SGT. The hex hangs down about half as much, virtually eliminating the sharp edge feel.

Maybe after all these years they've had enuf complaints, that they made the slight alteration?

If you had man hands instead of those pansy softees of yours you wouldn't notice......

:hide:

:hysterical:

To be honest with ya Chris I will have to climb in mine and see what's there. I usually just push or pull the shifter I don't wrap my hand around it ..... I don't think.... Gawd it sucks getting old!

Hey Chris, I had mine out this weekend and even mentioned to the wifey about your comment. I did notice that the hex nut on mine only protrudes about 1/8", it was actually difficult/uncomfortable for me to grab the ball in such a manner to have my fingers contact the hex nut (wow did I just type that without being smutty...). I did notice that when I shift I hold the ball in my palm between the middle finger and my pinky, almost like it's a T handle. :shrug:

Hey Chris, I had mine out this weekend and even mentioned to the wifey about your comment. I did notice that the hex nut on mine only protrudes about 1/8", it was actually difficult/uncomfortable for me to grab the ball in such a manner to have my fingers contact the hex nut (wow did I just type that without being smutty...). I did notice that when I shift I hold the ball in my palm between the middle finger and my pinky, almost like it's a T handle. :shrug:

Thanks for the update Doogs..... It's not a big deal really, more an observation. Maybe it's time to switch out the tranny to an automagic? :shrug:

Thanks for the update Doogs..... It's not a big deal really, more an observation. Maybe it's time to switch out the tranny to an automagic? :shrug:

Don't get me started on that...... :hysterical: