TEAM SHELBY FORUM

After Modifications, do you know your 0-60MPH?

emailcm

I was wondering, for those of you who have modified your GT500's, if you could tell me what your 0-60 time is now. I've seen a lot of video with the 1/4 mile times, but would like to know the 0-60MPH after the KB or EVO upgrades have been done.

0-60 is a meek test, as you will never be able to replicate prepped surface 0-60 on the street. In any case, the rate of acceleration time is so quick that subtle changes from a slight slip of the tire or a bog will throw it off .5 or more seconds. With that being said, on the track with et streets based on me doing 0-73 in 4.2 seconds, and a speedo video extrapolated my 60-70 time is .7 seconds, my 0-60 is approx. 3.5 seconds with tires, gears, pulley, catback. I did the same measurment for a street tires run (stock pulley, stock exhaust, cai and gears only) and it comes out to be 0-75 in 4.7 seconds...extrapolated to a 0-60 of approx 3.9 seconds.

0-60 is a meek test, as you will never be able to replicate prepped surface 0-60 on the street. In any case, the rate of acceleration time is so quick that subtle changes from a slight slip of the tire or a bog will throw it off .5 or more seconds. With that being said, on the track with et streets based on me doing 0-73 in 4.2 seconds, and a speedo video extrapolated my 60-70 time is .7 seconds, my 0-60 is approx. 3.5 seconds with tires, gears, pulley, catback. I did the same measurment for a street tires run (stock pulley, stock exhaust, cai and gears only) and it comes out to be 0-75 in 4.7 seconds...extrapolated to a 0-60 of approx 3.9 seconds.

I hear ya. But everyone still ask about 0-60. Even the mags post the stat still. I think it's a big statement to say a GT500 can go 0-60 in 3.5sec. That really a huge statement. Do you think that the Kenne Bell addition would put the GT500 in the low 3's. Which is pretty amazing.

I hear ya. But everyone still ask about 0-60. Even the mags post the stat still. I think it's a big statement to say a GT500 can go 0-60 in 3.5sec. That really a huge statement. Do you think that the Kenne Bell addition would put the GT500 in the low 3's. Which is pretty amazing.

Let's see here, from my experiences, with my stage 2 Evo tune including 2.6 metco pulley JTL CAI etc., 3.73 gears, traction/launch control off, stock rear tires and rims, the estimated 4.5 second 0-60 times you see flaunted everywhere in the car mags will actually go UP, to approximately somewhere between 7 to 15 seconds, depending on how long you want to roast and/or liquify Mr. Goodyear, in 1st gear, or 2nd gear, or both : ) Don't expect radically different 0-60 times on a 4000lb rwd car with a bad forward weight distribution complex to radically change its 0-60 street times on stock tires, no matter what tuning or engine mods you do to it. This is not yer daddy's all-aluminum 3000 lb Z06, as it were. You simply can't expect to apply all the hp and torque to the tar off the line in this loveable retro muscle car wagon. Now your 60-80 and 60-100 rollons, that's a different horse.

It is clear to me you are seeking an estimate of average street performance improvement (street bragging rights a la Motor Trend or Road and Track performance charts to banter about with yer buddies) that you can expect for short bursts of acceleration, far short of throwing the car on drag slicks and taking it out to Moroso or Englishtown to challenge that Z06 on 60 foot launch and the 1/4. In all seriousness, then, out on US Rt 1 between the red lights, with decent dry-road traction (READ-sticky new rear meats a la MT or Nitto555 etc), a stage 2 tune, the all-important steeper 3.73 or 4.10 gears for this heavy beast, and reasonable restraint on your throttle toe, combined with driver practice learning the car's traction limitations and boundaries, you can safely assume that out on the street, in the real world, you can trim roughly in the neighborhood of 0.5 off the stock car's 0-60 time, whatever that time is in your hands, based upon your particular driving abilities and experience with the car. Others may beg to differ. Opinions solicited and welcome.

The gears and tires are most crucial here for what you're aiming at, far more so than the stages of engine "tuning" you may be considering. In honesty, my favorite driveability/ seat-of-the-pants-sensation mod in all of my Mustangs has been re-gearing to something the car can actually pull and keep in the meat of its powerband with at real-world street speeds. It FEELS like you have picked up 75HP due to torque multiplication, just with the gears. (It's like trying to ride off on a ten speed bike in 1st gear vs trying to ride away on it with the gear selector set in the tallest 10th gear. Same bike, same everything, big difference in perceived and actual acceleration results. )

This is true of nearly any Mustang GT or cobra from years past and present, or any performance car you're modding, not just the Shelby GT500. In fact, I recall the '95 Mustang GT's (last of the 5.0's) coming out of the dealer showrooms with 2.73 "economy" gears to help Ford hit fleet epa/fuel & pollution standards. Just a set of 3.55 or 3.73 gears, a k&n open filter, light tuning and a cat-back easily knocked the 6.1 second stock 0-60 time on the 5 speeds down to mid 5's. Problem with the shelby, by comparison, is that you are taking a car that is at least 400 lbs heavier than an 05 GT, mostly up front, with more than twice the rwhp, and are already in a sub 5 second 0-60 performance bracket, so something's gotta give. That would be the traction, so no matter what engine mods you do or gear ratios you select, you need sticky rear meats with this car to actually get the benefit of the mods you're considering.

Slapping on a KB and 700 rwhp will be FAR more visible on your 1/4 mile times than for bragging rights 0-60 guestimations exchanged in the hallway with buddies, unless you're running the Shelby tubbed out with 16" Mickey Thompsons, roll cage, and a chute. If you slap a stage 3 evo setup on your SHELBY and go advertising that you feel you are running 3.5 second 0-60 times, you may find yourself out on the boulevard having a tough time against the ricer weenie alongside of (or in front of) you in the modded WRX STI that is only 300 hp but 2900lbs and AWD.

I think a 28" tire will give you a better 0-60 than a KB would at this point.

Archived