TEAM SHELBY FORUM

PSA: Shelby Billet Caps Now Available to the Public

Norton

I was lucky enough to acquire mine a while ago, without paying the extortionist prices some were asking. At the time, a number of others were looking for them (or something similar).

I'm not sure why but, ironically, Shelby's product page includes a picture of my engine bay. Too bad there are no royalties involved...

How did SPP get a photo of your engine compartment, did you send one to them?

I did not send it to them, but I'm sure it's one of the many pics of my car I've posted online. I just found it ironic that, with the number of vehicles Shelby converts, someone used an Internet pic of my car (that's never been to Shelby HQ) to market the caps.

Original photo of my engine...

post-38053-0-60610600-1505355731_thumb.jpg

Just ordered a set.dumb question,what is the t shaped billet for

Thanks for posting the link

carnut12 is correct - the T-shaped piece is for the dipstick.

Edited by Norton

I did not send it to them, but I'm sure it's one of the many pics of my car I've posted online. I just found it ironic that, with the number of vehicles Shelby converts, someone used an Internet pic of my car (that's never been to Shelby HQ) to market the caps.

I agree and that's why I was asking about the photo. So much easier to walk out into the shop for a photo then to search the internet which made me think perhaps there was a back story to the photo SPP used.

Years ago you had to prove you owned a KR to get these.

Then, you had to prove you owned a Shelby-converted vehicle with a CSM number, that was originally equipped with them.

Then, you could pay ridiculous amounts of money to Internet "capitalists," unless you knew somebody who could/would get them for you at cost.

Now, anybody who wants them can buy them for a comparatively reasonable price. (Long overdue, IMO.)

• 1 month later...

Ok great.they came.got all of them on except for oil stick

The yellow one is held on by a small brad that goes thru the metal stick and thru a 2nd hole in yellow piece.the new one only had one hole and the stock pin won't fit,hole is too small.any thoughts.didn't see a new pin in package.and only one hole doesn't seem right.

Ok great.they came.got all of them on except for oil stick

The yellow one is held on by a small brad that goes thru the metal stick and thru a 2nd hole in yellow piece.the new one only had one hole and the stock pin won't fit,hole is too small.any thoughts.didn't see a new pin in package.and only one hole doesn't seem right.

Tap the rolled pin out to remove the oil stick from the yellow handle.I used a small punch the same size as the pin, lightly tap but firm. Also remove the rubber o-ring from the yellow handle, you'll need it on the new Shelby handle. To put the oil stick on the Shelby piece you'll need to get a very small allen wrench and back the threaded screw out. Then insert the oil stick, and re-tighten. Its a little tricky to align, but not hard. NOTE: On the Shelby handle, thats not a hole you're seeing, its a threaded allen head screw.

Original photo of my engine...

attachicon.gifIMG_0016.JPG

carnut12 is correct - the T-shaped piece is for the dipstick.

I'm not excusing doing it, but a lot of sites, forums included, reserve the right to use any photo posted or hosted by their site.

You probably posted it on this site, they thought it was a good pic, and so they decided to use it.

I used to be a staff writer for an online publication that managed numerous forums and that is how we got the vast majority of our pics for the articles we published.

I guess it can be chalked up to the cost of taking advantage of a "free" forum.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys helped me alot on,installing my billet oil dip stick handle.but have one more question.from a design viewpoint it seems the metal dip rod is only supported on one side.the pin is so thin seems it would bend down over time.I can't tell if there's a female fitting inside on the opposite side that The pin goes into.I stopped turning the pin with my Allen wrench when the pin was flush with outside of dip stick holder

So didnt tighten it down for fear it would go inside shaft.any thoughts.did i miss the female holder.should just turn a little more.thanks so much. Bob

You guys helped me alot on,installing my billet oil dip stick handle.but have one more question.from a design viewpoint it seems the metal dip rod is only supported on one side.the pin is so thin seems it would bend down over time.I can't tell if there's a female fitting inside on the opposite side that The pin goes into.I stopped turning the pin with my Allen wrench when the pin was flush with outside of dip stick holder

So didnt tighten it down for fear it would go inside shaft.any thoughts.did i miss the female holder.should just turn a little more.thanks so much. Bob

Bob, it sounds to me like you better make sure that the set screw (Allen screw) goes all the way down and makes contact with the flat on the dipstick or you could risk losing the dipstick inside the engine! After you tighten the set screw make sure you can't easily pull the dipstick out of the handle. I would assume (if memory serves me right) that the dipstick should "bottom out" when inserted into the handle, then tighten the screw.

Thanks.I'm sure I've got it thru the hole.but thanks for caution.as I said in my note,since there's no hole on other side of housing.then all the thrust when pulling dipstick out will go to the very thin attached on one end,pin.

Okay, my apologies I didn't realize the set screw went through a hole in the dipstick. I would still make sure the set screw is tight so it doesn't vibrate loose.