TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for a Shelby Hertz - 2006 or 2016 ?

cobraguy69

Hi all- I'm new here and already had lots of help locating some Hertz cars - Thanks. I can't afford a 1966 car, so it's 2006 or 2016. The 2016 has all the new car features I would like, but is really a 5.0 GT with black & gold paint and Shelby badging. The 2006 has a 4.6 L with slight upgrades, but doesn't have the HP of the 2016 car. It is a more classic look and the one that Shelby was still involved in., still I'm leaning towards the 2016. what do you guys think ?

Hi all- I'm new here and already had lots of help locating some Hertz cars - Thanks. I can't afford a 1966 car, so it's 2006 or 2016. The 2016 has all the new car features I would like, but is really a 5.0 GT with black & gold paint and Shelby badging. The 2006 has a 4.6 L with slight upgrades, but doesn't have the HP of the 2016 car. It is a more classic look and the one that Shelby was still involved in., still I'm leaning towards the 2016. what do you guys think ?

Keep in mind that Shelby American can supercharge either one of those cars so if you like the look of the 2006 GTH the hp can be brought up to the 2016 hp level or even slightly more.

Now if you like bells & whistles the 2016 GTH would have more of that and although this may rile up some 2006 GTH owners the 2016 GTH probably out handles the 2006 GTH along with outperforming the 2006 unless that car is supercharged.

Both are great cars, I suspect your decision will come down to looks. Do you like the retro look of the 2005-09 Mustang's or do you prefer the more worldwide look of the 2015-up Mustangs.

Steve

The 2006 was also the first (truly successful) Shelby modified Mustang since the 60's and sort of reinvigorated the Shelby company and the interest again.

Valid point but one could counter that the 2016 is rarer because of its lower build numbers.

2016 would be my pick, the prices continue to come down.

Most likely Hertz will lower the asking prices on the 2016's but the question is how low?

Well, I can tell you my 2006 was driven only 2 days this year, whereas my 2016 (which I just got a couple of months ago) has become my daily driver!

Not saying there is anything wrong with the '06, and I will keep it for life, but the '16 is just way more fun to drive!

I got the '16 with 5800 miles on the clock and I am now sitting at 8900 miles. :shift: I sure wish it was manual!

Well, I can tell you my 2006 was driven only 2 days this year, whereas my 2016 (which I just got a couple of months ago) has become my daily driver!

Not saying there is anything wrong with the '06, and I will keep it for life, but the '16 is just way more fun to drive!

I got the '16 with 5800 miles on the clock and I am now sitting at 8900 miles. :shift: I sure wish it was manual!

Can't argue with the King of the black & gold. We need to find you a 2007 GTH vert to add to your collection ;)

I'm leaning towards the 2016. Hertz North Palm Beach has two - a 9K mile and a 10K mile. Both listed at a no haggle price of $ 55,000.00. Are they really no haggle? Anyone have experience with this ?

While I'm not speaking for Hertz, nor could I speak for them, there has been some speculation that the price is negotiable to a certain extent. Would you be successful walking in and offering Hertz $5-10k off their price, probably not but you have nothing to lose by offering a few dollars less. What's the worst they'll say except no thank you.

While I'm not speaking for Hertz, nor could I speak for them, there has been some speculation that the price is negotiable to a certain extent. Would you be successful walking in and offering Hertz $5-10k off their price, probably not but you have nothing to lose by offering a few dollars less. What's the worst they'll say except no thank you.

I think in my case the mileage was extremely low (and it was early)so they were not interested in negotiating.

I would like to see some of the 2016 cars in person that Hertz has for sale. I just rented 16H0145 on a recent trip to Vegas. This car was really rough with 22,000+ miles. Depending on what the new owner plans to do with it, replacing the splitter and a portion of the stripes will be needed. Along with a heavy duty detail, paint correction and touch ups.

I haven't had the opportunity to drive a 2006, but like the looks of that model. The 2016, is defiantly refined compared to my 2007.

Good luck with your decision

I have a feeling that they are firm, but will try to negotiate a little. I'll report when it happens.

Yes please let us all know. I poked around on Google and couldn't find any success stories but then again I couldn't find any stories about not being successful when it comes to their no haggle price.

You may want to try playing Hertz against Hertz since we are seeing close to a $10k price difference between the GTH cars currently for sale. For example if the GTH you decide on is priced at the high end of $59,900 why not tell Hertz that you're willing to pay the $56k or $53k that they are offering other GTH cars for. If Hertz is willing to take $53k for one car why can't they take the same amount for another car.

Good luck and let us know.

Yes please let us all know. I poked around on Google and couldn't find any success stories but then again I couldn't find any stories about not being successful when it comes to their no haggle price.

You may want to try playing Hertz against Hertz since we are seeing close to a $10k price difference between the GTH cars currently for sale. For example if the GTH you decide on is priced at the high end of $59,900 why not tell Hertz that you're willing to pay the $56k or $53k that they are offering other GTH cars for. If Hertz is willing to take $53k for one car why can't they take the same amount for another car.

Good luck and let us know.

I think Steven is spot on. Consider: "when there's nothing to loose by trying and everything to gain if successful....by all means try". But do your due diligence and look the cars over carefully. For example, the Tennessee car is missing parts. Side views of the car appear to show both the left and right side triangular plastic piece missing from in front of the rear wheel wells (one piece is shown laying in the trunk). Photos of some other cars show what appears to be stains (?) or scuff marks on the door arm rests and other interior areas.

.....And yes, past sales indicate they will haggle. I've spoken to 2 enthusiasts who purchased GTHs from Hertz in the last couple months. Both claim they were able to negotiate a lower than advertised price.

Best of luck in your search

I think Steven is spot on. Consider: "when there's nothing to loose by trying and everything to gain if successful....by all means try". But do your due diligence and look the cars over carefully. For example, the Tennessee car is missing parts. Side views of the car appear to show both the left and right side triangular plastic piece missing from in front of the rear wheel wells (one piece is shown laying in the trunk). Photos of some other cars show what appears to be stains (?) or scuff marks on the door arm rests and other interior areas.

.....And yes, past sales indicate they will haggle. I've spoken to 2 enthusiasts who purchased GTHs from Hertz in the last couple months. Both claim they were able to negotiate a lower than advertised price.

Best of luck in your search

HertzII, good to know that some buyers have been successful with a price negotiation.

Also that's a very good suggestion about inspecting the cars. If some of the unique Shelby parts are damaged or missing a potential buyer should negotiate to have Hertz repair or replace the parts so that the buyer doesn't fall off their chair when they call SAI to purchase the part on their own.

Steve

Prices seem to be tied to mileage with no description of condition, damage or missing parts. For that reason I will only consider a car I can get to and see in person. These are rental miles and most people don't worry about how they treat a rental.( Too bad some weren't sold new ) So if I have to pay a little more for a car I can personally see and inspect, that is worth it to me. I have heard that 171 were made in 2016, an odd number- Anybody know if that is the correct total , or why 171 ?

Prices seem to be tied to mileage with no description of condition, damage or missing parts. For that reason I will only consider a car I can get to and see in person. These are rental miles and most people don't worry about how they treat a rental.( Too bad some weren't sold new ) So if I have to pay a little more for a car I can personally see and inspect, that is worth it to me. I have heard that 171 were made in 2016, an odd number- Anybody know if that is the correct total , or why 171 ?

Yes 171 is correct.

Why 171? Because that's how many Hertz asked us to build.

I respectfully disagree. I can't find any correlation between dollars and mileage. The Hertz website lists the 34 cars from the lowest $ to the highest $ (when photos are available). As you scan through, you notice the lowest mileage car (9k) and the highest mileage car (20K) both priced @ $55k.....mid-range on their scale of $50-$59900. Even more confusing.....what makes a 17k mile car worth $1.00 more ($55001.00) than a 9k mile car ($55000.00)?? Many of these cars will have suffered dings, dents and scratches, mostly minor, but even the not so minor stuff sometimes doesn't show up on a car fax. So your plan to look at the car up close and personal is definitely the way to go. X-Rentals.....well used and sometimes abused.

Very strange indeed. I haven't looked at the whole list to get the full picture. Kind of zeroing in on the two closest that are 9 & 10 K miles, both listed at $ 55,000.00. It will be interesting to compare these two - close in miles, but how about wear and tear ? First got to get through Irma this weekend. I emailed Hertz to get those two inside and protect them for me. Lots of Luck.

Very strange indeed. I haven't looked at the whole list to get the full picture. Kind of zeroing in on the two closest that are 9 & 10 K miles, both listed at $ 55,000.00. It will be interesting to compare these two - close in miles, but how about wear and tear ? First got to get through Irma this weekend. I emailed Hertz to get those two inside and protect them for me. Lots of Luck.

I'm sure there are forum members that would be happy to inspect a car for you should you find one out of state.

GLWYS

Spoke with another 2016 GTH buyer this morning. He says that he negotiated the price down by $3k on the GTH he purchased by using another Hertz GTH ad from a different location with a lower price.

He also said that when he questioned why a GTH with lower miles was priced cheaper than GTH's with higher mileage he said he was told that the lower priced car had previous hail damage that had been repaired. He commented that Hertz was upfront with the damage.

So it would seem that potential buyers should narrow their choice down to two or three cars, inspect the cars carefully and then compare the price to other cars for sale.

Good luck.

My house in Jensen Beach Fl. is OK. My son's house in Marathon Fl destroyed and we can't get there yet. So. family priorities now. When we get re-settled, I will be checking the Fl Hertz dealerships, hopefully the 2016 Black and Gold cars in Fl survived.

Sorry to read about your son's house. Hope you're able to get there soon to help him out.

Be safe

My house in Jensen Beach Fl. is OK. My son's house in Marathon Fl destroyed and we can't get there yet. So. family priorities now. When we get re-settled, I will be checking the Fl Hertz dealerships, hopefully the 2016 Black and Gold cars in Fl survived.

Sorry to hear that, good luck patching everything back together. No rush on the Hertz they are not going anywhere but down in price, I wouldn't be in a rush at all.