TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires W or Y rated for 2014

I have a 2014 GT500 and about to take the OEM GY's off at 15k miles. Friend with a 2014 GT has the Firehawk Indy 500 and I really like the way they ride and hook up. Granted he isn't putting as much power to the wheels, I just wandered if there was any possible issue with the W rating. Had the car up to 160mph once, but I do like to have a little fun in it. Tirerack has the tire sizes for the staggered wheels listed and at a much lower price than the new Michelin PS4. Any thoughts or experience with them? Thanks in advanced.

Here's interesting review

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259810

If im reading this right are they run flats.some say its all season some summer tires I habe the Michelin ss pilots and just love the traction.in summer I can go full throttle in first and can control the car .the GY are actually unsafe on gt500.good luck

Speed rating is all about your intended use. W = up to 168MPH, Y = up to 186MPH, (Y) = in excess of 186MPH

Like Torched10, I'm happy with my (Y) rated Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which perform well at stock power levels - stable up to 170MPH in the Colorado Mile. They're less effective in the traction department following my power upgrade (Elbow, 67mm TB, 127mm CAI, 2.4" pulley), but they still handle well.

FWIW, I have a friend who's very happy with the Michelin Pilot 4S he recently installed on his GT350.

• 1 month later...

Finally decided on what to buy. Went with Michelin Pilot AS3, stock sizes. The Firestone store actually ordered them for me since he couldn't get the Firehawk Indy 500's, which I thought was funny since Tire rack has them. So $1100 mounted/balanced/road hazard and out the door,

I run the Michelin's on my street wheels. I have a set of the Firehawk Indy 500's that I used for a couple of track days since I did not want to spend the extra coin on tires I'm just going to thrash. I was very pleased and surprised how well the Firestone tires performed. We don't have enough straights to get above 160 mph so speed rating was not an issue. The reason Firestone didn't have them in stock is because they are selling out very quickly. Lots of track day guys using them like I am. Cheap/great performance. Hard combination to find.