TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lug Nut Torque / Tire Pressure

Recommendation for lug nut torque and tire pressure for 2017 Super Snake.

Thomas,

I've asked Chris from our sales department to reach out to you with some answers. Because we change the wheel studs on the SS Chris is going to double check with Vince to see if the recommended torque has changed. Same with the tire pressure, because we change the wheels/tires Chris will also check on any air pressure changes.

Steve

This is what I received from Austin Craig at Shelby American.

Lug Torque - 140 ft/lbs

Tire Pressure 40 to 45 lbs

tire pressure should be in door jamb probably 32-35 psi

Lug nuts thinking 100 ft/lbs....

Holy mother of pearl, glad you didn't listen to me...

I have just done a lot of research on tire pressure. The 40 to 45 psi seemed too high. I called Michelin and they calculated 37 psi max. and a low of 32 psi depending on your comfort preference based on the information from the door placard. Then I found this calculation on the internet that is below. The Total Wt. came from the door placard. The % is the Load Rating of the tire divided by the Per Wheel wt. The PSI was calculated based on the max. psi of 50 times the %. Bottom-line - Running the Michelins at 32 psi seems reasonable.

Total Wt Per Wheel Size Load Rating % PSI

Front End 2,325.0 1,162.5 275/35 1,874.0 62 31.0

Rear End 2,440.0 1,220.0 305/30 1,929.0 63 31.6

Edited by teuhl

Just to clarify some things, only 2015-17 Super Snakes with SAI installed hardened wheel studs should be torqued to 150ft/lb

And when it comes to tire pressure it all depends on what you are doing, meaning are you driving in town, on the race track, setting a LSR at the salt flats? For normal everyday driving SAI suggests 32-35psi. At the track 28psi is a good starting point. These are cold inflation numbers.

Hope these SAI recommendations help.

Just to clarify some things, only 2015-17 Super Snakes with SAI installed hardened wheel studs should be torqued to 150ft/lb

And when it comes to tire pressure it all depends on what you are doing, meaning are you driving in town, on the race track, setting a LSR at the salt flats? For normal everyday driving SAI suggests 32-35psi. At the track 28psi is a good starting point. These are cold inflation numbers.

Hope these SAI recommendations help.

Steven - This was very helpful and appreciated. Suggestion - It would be very helpful if information unique to the conversion of the stock Mustang to the Shelby SS be formally documented. This would include the above, alignment specs and any other information unique to the conversion.

Steven - This was very helpful and appreciated. Suggestion - It would be very helpful if information unique to the conversion of the stock Mustang to the Shelby SS be formally documented. This would include the above, alignment specs and any other information unique to the conversion.

While I certainly agree, something like that would be up to the sales director to put together. I'll pass on your suggestion to the team.