TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drove it home yesterday!

cloud9

We picked up our car in Darlington, WI yesterday and drove it back to SD. We found it at this small rural dealership. It was quite an experience. We dealt with the owner who showed us some real small town hospitality. He actually insisted my wife and I stay at his house for the evening. He took us to dinner at the local country club Friday evening. The next morning he gave us a tour of the town and then took us to the local cafe for breakfast. It was kind of fun as he knew everyone in town. He was one of the most honest, humble and straight-up guys I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The drive home was awesome! I can't believe this car. It is everything I had hoped it would be. :banana piano: I have wanted one of these high hp Mustangs since I was a teenager in the 70s. My friend had a 1970 Boss Mustang (that almost never ran) but when it was running was just a beast.

I attached a few photos of the car, the wife and "Uncle" Buck (dealer).

Thanks to everyone on this site for all the great info!

post-6227-1183342044_thumb.jpg post-6227-1183341765_thumb.jpg post-6227-1183341805_thumb.jpgpost-6227-1183341854_thumb.jpg post-6227-1183341584_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1183341584_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1183341765_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1183341805_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1183341854_thumb.jpg

post-6227-1183342044_thumb.jpg

We picked up our car in Darlington, WI yesterday and drove it back to SD. We found it at this small rural dealership. It was quite an experience. We dealt with the owner who showed us some real small town hospitality. He actually insisted my wife and I stay at his house for the evening. He took us to dinner at the local country club Friday evening. The next morning he gave us a tour of the town and then took us to the local cafe for breakfast. It was kind of fun as he knew everyone in town. He was one of the most honest, humble and straight-up guys I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The drive home was awesome! I can't believe this car. It is everything I had hoped it would be. :banana piano: I have wanted one of these high hp Mustangs since I was a teenager in the 70s. My friend had a 1970 Boss Mustang (that almost never ran) but when it was running was just a beast.

post-6227-1183342044_thumb.jpg post-6227-1183341765_thumb.jpg post-6227-1183341805_thumb.jpgpost-6227-1183341854_thumb.jpg post-6227-1183341584_thumb.jpg

Man I wish I would have known! we are only about an hour from there. Would have been fun to come down and meet more members. Anyways enjoy the car!

Just like my dealer. Small town dealer that carried both the Ford as well as Dodge/Chrysler and Jeep product lines. Town of around 3,000 people.

HSURB

cloud9,

your story sounds a lot like mine; I bought my Shelby from a small dealer in Worland, Wy. The owner and his wife and my saleman (Chad Jones) were especially gracious and quite excited to have a Shelby in their showroom if only for a couple of hours. I have wonderful memories of that day and the drive home that night (400 miles of bliss). Your car is beautiful!

CC

Great story. Though Buck can't possibly be a car dealer. He's the town's Welcome Wagon. He does the car dealing thingy on the side.

Good to hear there are still some that don't simply see you as a dollar sign.

You are absolutely right on that one GT500FLYBOY. He openly admitted that he doesn't really worry about how many units he moves, he just knows that if he takes care of people, the business will come. He actually started went out and started an auto service business after the owner of the local Chrysler dealership that he worked for strung him along about ownership that he promised, but never materialized. That dealer eventually went out of business. By then he was selling used cars in addition to the service business, and went to the bank to buy out the Chrysler dealers assets. He also bought the bankrupt Ford dealer's assets from the bank. He petitioned both manufacturers for franchise rights hoping to get one and got them both!

Definitely not the norm in the dealer business, but hey, good ones are out there. It seems to me we've got several on this site by their comments.

Archived