TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TOTAL REMAINING GT500's as of 6/30/07

Did you pay any?

Yes and no depending how you look at it. My ADM was half of the $1,500 enrollment fee Ford charged the dealer just to be able to get one of these cars to sell. So I paid $750 over MSRP, but that is a direct cost that was added to the dealer from Ford.

We got two for 07. The owner split the $1,500 between the two of us that bought one and added it to the MSRP price of the car.

Do you consider that to be an ADM?

I did offer to pay the entire $1,500 just to be able to buy it. But the owner said I can pay half and his other customer can pay half.

This is the first car I ever bought and paid MSRP for. The most I ever paid in the past was $300 over invoice, minus any rebates. I purchased over 20 new vehicles in my lifetime.

If I wasn't able to get the one I got and IF I had to of, I would have paid up to $60K to get this car. But this is the ONLY car that I have would ever paid an ADM on. I would not pay it for a vette, viper, or whatever. The ONLY reason I would have paid it for this car if I had to of, is because I have always wanted to get a Shelby Mustang since I seen my first one back in 69. I was only 10 then.

I suspect this is the case for most people that have been buying these. Seems mostly baby boomers are the ones buying these up and that appears to be why this car is selling so good and why the ADM's have held at the level they have for over a year now. Of course this is speculation on my part why. I know it is why I would have paid more if I would have had to.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw my first Shelby in the flesh when I was 13 in 1968. A guy living in our neighborhood bought one. Dark green with the white stripes. I can still see that car as clear as glass in my mind. 4 decades have clouded my recollection of many things but not about these cars.

I'm also in and around the 20 mark for new vehicles and have never paid sticker for any of them. Told myself that I wouldn't do it on this one but probably will if the color I want is available at that price somewhere over the next year. A low mile used at the right # would also work.

I know a couple life long Mustangers my age that have decided to go with an 08 LS3 corvette. I've had 4 Corvettes and would really rather have the GT500. The car looks great and has the enormous potential being a factory FI set up.

I seen my first one in a parade. There were a few Shelby mustangs in the parade. The one that stood out the most was an orange vert with white leather interior. I didn't even know what a shelby was. I knew it was a mustang, but that was the baddest looking mustang I ever seen. All I knew was that I wanted one! I have always loved the look of them, especially the shelbys.

I would have ordered the orange but I wanted black stripes and they didn't offer it for the 07. They do offer it now for the 08. That is what I had our dealer order. The grabber orange with black stripes. I don't know when it will get scheduled, but if it is late enough in the model year and if there is any way I can swing it I would like to buy that one as well. Only this time I will have to pay $15K over to get it, unless the bottom falls out on these. "IF" Ford did decide to build one for 09 and if they announce it before then, I suspect the bottom will fall out and I will get it for a lot less. Or get one in 09 if that is the case and I would be in a much better position to buy it by then.

One last thing, Ford only offer the 0% for 36 months on IN STOCK cars including the GT500... so that limits them to IN STOCK as well the options for them. If you look at this, we all know there are 2007's in stock in several dealers. Most if not all have some sort of ADM. You have to first of all qualify, second be able to make the higher payment, then be willing to pay the ADM, oh yea, then settle on what is in stock! Some how, no matter how you cut this, the reason they are offering it is that very little if anyone will get this on a GT500, given those odds. But I am sure as I know this forum, the first guy to get it will be here bragging! :hysterical:

I would have ordered the orange but I wanted black stripes and they didn't offer it for the 07.

I'm with you ShelbyDude; my wife and I really wanted the Grabber Orange but only with Black stripes. Since it was not available we changed when we finally got the opportunity to order. We went with the Black/Red which we're still awaiting delivery on now any day. Our intent is now to keep it "Bone Stock" because of the Red Appearance Package so now I have to live Vicarously through all you fellow Shelby owners doing the mods. Oh well, small price to pay for simply owning one I guess.

Stent

I would have ordered the orange but I wanted black stripes and they didn't offer it for the 07.

I'm with you ShelbyDude; my wife and I really wanted the Grabber Orange but only with Black stripes. Since it was not available we changed when we finally got the opportunity to order. We went with the Black/Red which we're still awaiting delivery on now any day. Our intent is now to keep it "Bone Stock" because of the Red Appearance Package so now I have to live Vicarously through all you fellow Shelby owners doing the mods. Oh well, small price to pay for simply owning one I guess.

Stent

Have they shipped your car finally?

Nope, Called SVT today and it's still sitting in Detroit....Bummer.....

Yours must not be the only one. I noticed they are still adding cars to the locator and yours is still not showing up. I would have thought by now they would have gotten all the 07's added by now. Guess not!

You no what? at this pont I say go ahead, I trust you with it. VIN 1ZVHT88SX75358439.

Be careful with it, lol..............

LOL I would to, but I would have a heck of a time driving two back! I'm sure as heck not leaving mine there! :hysterical:

I'd have my wife drive one back but she can't drive stick! I'm such a lucky guy! :happy feet:

'08s are shipping already?

Could it be that there are issues with stripe quality holding up the last '07s? In other words, maybe they failed an inspection and have to be redone? :shrug:

At this point I believe the only 2008s reaching dealerships are "stripe delete" cars. Anything needing stripes is waiting in line behind any unfinished 2007s.

To add to that, I find it very unusual that in the small area I live there are 4 of us, 2 coupes and 2 verts within 20 miles of each other.

In Oregon at least 16 was sold from dealers that i know about( it look every dealer get at least one)

This is not the correct number!

As of today 7/13/07

1,056 2007 GT500's remaining.

Two days ago there was 1,127

So 71 sold in the last two days.

At this rate with an average of 35 sold per day nationwide, then it would only take 30 days to sell off all the remaining 2007 GT500's.

By the end of August they should all be gone if not sooner. It will be interesting to see how many are left by then, if any at all.

Not 100% sure but I think the 36 month Interest free on the 2007's has aided in the sale of some of those. 0% for 3 years is like shaving $3500 off the cost of the car. So in effect if you are asking 7k over MSRP, the consumer is only really paying 3500 over as they are saving 3500 on interest alone.

As I said earlier, 1000 cars remaining this far into summer shows a trend ADM going away. Summer is the fastest time for sales, also end of the year incentives help to fuel the fast sales as dealers are trying to clear their lot's for the 2008 model.

I do agree with Shelbydud that the best time for an 07 is now if you are pickey, September if you will take any GT500.

I also agree that this winter is going to be the best time to buy an 08. (exactly when I will go after one)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE 8/3/07

On 6/30 there was 1,188 07 GT500's remaining. 869 Coupes + 319 Convertibles

Today there is 810 remaining. 581 Coupes + 229 Convertibles

Approx 10,864 built. 10,054 SOLD! 810 Remaining!

Now here is what is really sad!

The GT500 has brought some of the biggest ADM's ever. I would guestimate that if you took the total 10,054 that sold and added up the total selling price on each one, the average price would likely fall in the $12K - $15K over range.

Now if you look at the Shelby GT dealers can't give these away! Where are all the MSRP buyers now??? Some of these presold for as much as $10K over and many for $5K over. For months these could be had for MSRP and some for as little as invoice!

They built approx 6,000 of these. That is 4,864 LESS than the number of GT500's built. There are 3,098 of these still out there!!! This would include any still sitting at SAI waiting to be completed so some of those are probably sold with buyers waiting for them to come in, but still! There isn't 3K sitting there! Most of these are on dealers lots!

No matter what, these are still a Shelby Mustang! So where are the buyers??? Especially for being able to buy these for MSRP or less???

Now you have to admit, this is pretty sad that these can't even be given away! Especially with all the regular GT Mustang buyers out there. Why wouldn't those buyers want to at least buy one of these? Dealer cost is $8,390 for the Shelby conversion, so it isn't like it is a 10's of thousands more to get one.

So if you think only 810 GT500's out of 10,864 is a lot sitting out there this late in the year, take a good look at the Shelby GT's. 3,098 out of approx 6,000 still waiting to be sold! Now that is a LOT to be sitting out there! Plus the 30K+ regular 07 mustangs still out there that need to be sold yet!

Also, out of the 810 GT500's left, some of those could also be GT500's that the owner of the dealerships are keeping for themselves and may not be available for sale. Some owners will just keep them and put dealer plates on them and just pay any floorplan on them instead of having to pay off Ford for the full amount. Our owner has a 2003 T-Bird that is still on our floorplan that his wife drives. She loves the car and doesn't want to give it up yet. So they just pay the floorplan on it until they get ready to sell it someday. A lot of dealers will do this rather than write a check to Ford for the full amount. Where else can you get a $40K+ vehicle to ride around in for less than $300 per month? Just pay the interest, write it off as business expense, and drive around in fancy vehicles! LOL

I want to be careful not to denigrate the Shelby GT...as I'm sure it's a fine car. However, I just don't see the bang for the buck in the car...it's only got a few more HP than a stock GT. Sure, they put other parts in it such as the shifter and strut brace...but I think the focus on the GT500 just goes to show that people want the HP.

This is why I think a Boss Mustang with a 400-425 HP NA engine would do so well in the market.

Dave

Just food for thought. I saw a post about a month or so ago on the GTO website that around 600 06' GTO's remained in dealer stock. I guess they don't sell all that well even at reduced prices.

As for those waiting for 07 prices to fall due to them sitting next to 08's on the lot, the numbers are shrinking. From everything I hear, 5k over is still a good deal and many dealers in my area will not even consider selling for that. Good luck to those still shopping.

I want to be careful not to denigrate the Shelby GT...as I'm sure it's a fine car. However, I just don't see the bang for the buck in the car...it's only got a few more HP than a stock GT. Sure, they put other parts in it such as the shifter and strut brace...but I think the focus on the GT500 just goes to show that people want the HP.

This is why I think a Boss Mustang with a 400-425 HP NA engine would do so well in the market.

Dave

I think it goes to prove, it's not so much the Shelby name as it is the 500hp and great potential for much more. Give me a MSRP mustang gt with 500hp i'm all over it. heck with the name, even though I do respect Shelby no doubt.

I've said the same thing.

Shelby name. Cool to have. But I'm not paying more just to have it.

Give me HP, handling and a good value proposition. Otherwise it's just another Saleen, Roush or other upfitter who adds more bling than performance, usually for more $ than if you did it yourself. Name brands may good for some resell, but I'm more interested in go than show.

Shelby GT? Definately not at MSRP. If the GT500 was out of my price range and if I could get the car at X-plan with a discount off of the "Shelby Conversion" sticker price then maybe. It's just not for me. And, it seems, it's not for as many has SAI and Ford thought as well.

Your owners wife is driving a five year old Ford that isn't paid for because the GREED mosnster snapped 180 degress and bit him in the can.

I hope the guys who were looking to rape the enthusiasts with the Shelby GT have big families and a sustainable line of credit. Isn't geed great?

Your post makes no sense at all.

For one the 03 Thunderbird is 4 years old, not 5. Second, what does her driving this have to do with any greed monsters????? WTF are you even talking about?

Dude, I may not allways agree with you but I know that you are not stupid.

You know precisely what I am talking about. Oh, BTW, 2008 MY is in swing if you havn't noticed yet making your boss's dream car now an aging 5 year old.

No, I don't know what you are talking about. Your post makes no sense. What does the owner's wife driving a T-Bird for 4 years have to do with greed monsters????

Dude, I may not allways agree with you but I know that you are not stupid.

You know precisely what I am talking about. Oh, BTW, 2008 MY is in swing if you havn't noticed yet making your boss's dream car now an aging 5 year old.

Your owners wife is driving a five year old Ford that isn't paid for because the GREED mosnster snapped 180 degress and bit him in the can.

I assume your comment is referring to the owner wanted a ADM on this car and couldn't sell it because of that and as a result got stuck with it???

For your information this car was never for sale! It was ordered just for his wife. She has been driving it from the day it came off the truck. We have had numerous people wanting to buy it over the years and the owner has told them it is not for sale!

And for the record, he never charged any ADM on any of the T-Birds he sold. In fact, in the 30 years he has owned this store there was only 4 vehicles that were sold over MSRP.

The first one "I" personally sold for $1,000 over MSRP. It was a 2005 Legend Lime GT Mustang. I sold it to another FORD DEALER in New York for $1,000 over MSRP! The owner would not allow anyone to sell a vehicle to one of his customers for any amount over MSRP!

The second vehicle that was sold over MSRP "I" sold that one myself as well. It was a 2007 SGT that I put on ebay and let the market determine the value. I started the bidding at MSRP with no reserve and it sold for $5K over. The BUYER set the price, not I.

The other two were our two 07 GT500's. Those each sold for $750 over MSRP. But I don't even consider that a ADM since that was an amount to cover a direct cost that was charged to the dealership just to enroll to be able to even get the car to sell. And "I" was the one that offered to pay that in the first place!

The owner thought we were only get one GT500 and he had promised it to a customer of his back in early 2006 for MSRP. When I got the enrollment form I handed that to him to sign it so I could send it in to Ford. When he read it and seen the $1,500 fee he screamed out.....$1,500 FOR ONE F%^%^$ CAR???? At that point I said, well we actually get two. Then I said, but I have that one sold already. He said, no you don't! I said, yes I do! He said, no you don't! I have another guy that wanted one and I said if I got one he could buy it! I said, BS! I am buying it for myself! He said, no your not! I said, come on! I know I have to pay sticker. I'm not expecting any discount because I know you can get more for it. So I'm paying full price! He didn't answer. The next day he was standing in the service department talking with the service manager. They were talking about these cars and he was complaining about the $1,500 he had to pay. I walked up and said, you do know there is a way to get that $1,500 back, don't you? He says, HOW??? LOL I said, simple! You sell ME the car and I will pay the $1,500 in addition to the sticker price! He looks, OK, you are paying half and that doctor I'm selling the other one to can pay half! Execellent!!! LOL So if you want to consider that an ADM then so beit.

As for the 08's being out now, that does not make the 03 five years old just because SOME of the 08's are out early. The car is still only 4 years old. But if you want to get really technical then you need to go by the actual build date. The car was built on 3/13/03. So on 3/13/08 it will be 5 years old! And if you haven't noticed they stopped making the T-Bird in 05. That was the last year for this car. So there are no 08 T-Birds out to indicate this would now automatically be 5 years old. If that were the case then all the 07 models became a year old back in January of 07 since the 08 Super Duty was out in Jan. 07. So based on your logic all the 07's were a year old on Jan 1st, 2007! Yeah, right!

Now please explain your post how greed monsters have anything to do with the owner's wife driving a 03 T-Bird for 4 years????

Dave

+1 on both of your points. The fact is although the SGT looks great and is certainly nice to drive also, if you don't take ADM into account, it's closer to the GT500 pricewise while being closer to the stock GT performancewise, which IMHO explains why they are tougher to sell.

Something with around 400HP with distinctive stiling cues and a price tag set righ between the stock GT and the GT500 indeed sounds like a winning proposition.

Archived