TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 clutch in 08 gt500

gordyk

I have a stock 2008 gt500 other than ford air intake and SCT pulley and flash. 30,000 miles. The clutch is slipping badly. I did have the original clutch TSB done in 2010 and have not had any clutch or trany issues until now. I do not track the car at all but do get a little aggressive at times.

I have searched the forums on this issue. There is lots of info on there, it does get a little confusing. I am taking her to the dealer today to have them do TSB 10-3-8 which i understand is the 2010 clutch install. I hope i am making the correct decision.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to tell the service advisor?

One of the tsb steps is to reprogram the PCM. Should i return my pcm to stock before delivering it or just leave the sct flash on it and tell the dealer to not do the new program or what?

Other suggestions??

I have a stock 2008 gt500 other than ford air intake and SCT pulley and flash. 30,000 miles. The clutch is slipping badly. I did have the original clutch TSB done in 2010 and have not had any clutch or trany issues until now. I do not track the car at all but do get a little aggressive at times.

I have searched the forums on this issue. There is lots of info on there, it does get a little confusing. I am taking her to the dealer today to have them do TSB 10-3-8 which i understand is the 2010 clutch install. I hope i am making the correct decision.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to tell the service advisor?

One of the tsb steps is to reprogram the PCM. Should i return my pcm to stock before delivering it or just leave the sct flash on it and tell the dealer to not do the new program or what?

Other suggestions??

gordyk,

Has the dealership said they would perform this TSB at no charge to you? The age of your car and the age of this TSB lean towards something that you would need to pay out of your pocket for.

Steven

Just quoted $2589 for the job. $1010 labor $1579 parts. Grabber had it done in 2012 for $1438. Am i really getting screwed here? I am sure things have gone upthings have gone up since 2012 but this seems like a lot.

Just quoted $2589 for the job. $1010 labor $1579 parts. Grabber had it done in 2012 for $1438. Am i really getting screwed here? I am sure things have gone upthings have gone up since 2012 but this seems like a lot.

Not sure if Grabber paid retail or not as he had friends at a local dealership back then.

For $2589 if it was me I would go with aftermarket high performance parts installed through a local speed-shop.

Hopefully some GT500 owners will chime in with their experiences.

Steve

Mine is a very early 07 and the clutch was awful! I've driven straight shifts all my life and I could never launch the car aggressively or not, without a lot of shuddering or tire smoke.....just awful. Had the TSB done with original style clutch--no improvement. Clutch began to slip badly before I had 30k on the clock, under ESP warranty, so for $100 they installed the 10 and later clutch......different car, much better car, much more enjoyable, driveable, useable, fun car! The clutch is easy, light and still holds 500+ horsepower easily. Had I not changed to this clutch, I would have probably traded my dream car off for something else and always regretted it!

On the other hand, I just put $850 in the slave cylinder.......and thought I had it covered under a warranty!

You won't regret going to the 2010+ clutch!

Just quoted $2589 for the job. $1010 labor $1579 parts. Grabber had it done in 2012 for $1438. Am i really getting screwed here? I am sure things have gone up since 2012 but this seems like a lot

Wow I would go with an aftermarket performance clutch would be a lot cheaper & you would have a clutch to handle any additional HP you wanted to add.

You are getting screwed on the parts

Clutch
$519.21
Flywheel
$172.95
Slave
$178.19
Pilot Bearing
$9.35
Bolts (need 8)
$20.48
Bolts (need 6)
$15.78
Totals $915.96
This is for the 2012 clutch which is what I run in my car.
You can also run the 2013 clutch.
The 2013 clutch is
and costs even less at $392.84
Labor is about right... it's a bitch of a job.
Also to note... once you have done this conversion the only part you'll need in the future is the clutch I'll be going with the 2013 clutch at $392.84 when I need a replacement.
400 bucks is a HELL of a lot cheaper than any aftermarket clutch available.
I have over 600 hp on a TVS BTW and it drives beautifully.
Edited by Imatk

thewheelman hit it right in the nose as these were the main reasons I switched to the '10 clutch assembly.

If you are going big on power consider after market like Mcleod.

Yup those quotes you got can be improved upon.

Find a reputable shop that deals with our cars for the install. Got mine done a few years back for about $500.

Good luck

I bought the kit from LMR: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7546GT500-K/GT500-Clutch-Kit-07-09-Mustang

Had the dealer install for $770.

As others have said, this transforms the car. Clearly, this should have been there from the start; my Shelby is much more enjoyable.

Best of luck.

Does anybody have experience using the

Mcleod Shelby GT500 RXT Street Twin Disc Clutch Kit (Lightened Steel Flywheel) ?

So far the factory 2010 Ford clutch sounds great, but i want to get info on all the different brands.

Thanks, Guyz!

Edited by mach2race

I went with the tsb 10-3-8 clutch as i live up here in the middle of no where, Rolla ND, and i could not find any reputable mod shops close by that had any experience with gt500s. All the ford dealers within 400 miles quoted me about the same price. i am picking it up tomorrow from Westly Ford in Minot ND. $2238 with labor. So i am keeping my fingers crossed. I hope it all turns out well.

I had new front tires installed and a realignment done also. They found a badly worn left lower ball joint and after replacement they had to elongate the holes in order to get enough camber adjustment. This all seems a little strange with only 30,000 miles. Any body else run into alignment problems like this?