TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cool or Butchered?

39Mustang

​Came across this today and if indeed the car is real my opinion is person butchered a rare Mustang!

​How many were built 39 I think so this was not the right car to do this to

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1704-rare-breed-1240hp-s197-shelby-terlingua/

If can't click on the link just go to Mustang360.com

No worries. That's not a real Terlingua. I do know the car however. It was a GT500 that had Terlingua stickers put on it for fun way back. Looks like the most recent owner really went a little to far on it I think.

The 39 Terlingua's were all V6 cars.

Not cool that the owner would pass it off as a "Shelby Terlingua" to the author.

From the article:

"He found a 2008 Shelby Terlingua and jumped headlong from there."

Not true, this car is not and has never been a "Shelby Terlingua"

"The car was originally modified by Terlingua Racing Team (under the Shelby aegis)."

Not true. Shelby American nor Carroll Shelby guided these owner modifications.

I'm all for an owner modifying their car how they see fit but they cross the line portraying their car as something it is not.

Steven

Not cool that the owner would pass it off as a "Shelby Terlingua" to the author.

From the article:

Not true, this car is not as has never been a "Shelby Terlingua"

"The car was originally modified by Terlingua Racing Team (under the Shelby aegis)."

I'm all for an owner modifying their car how they see fit but they cross the line portraying their car as something it is not.

Steven

I agree whomever wrote the article didn't do their homework

Can anyone get those graphics or did he just buy them from the Terlingua people as I thought you had to be an owner to get them?

From the article:

Not true, this car is not as has never been a "Shelby Terlingua"

Steven

+1 ... even the fuel fill door and headrests says GT500 .. impressive but do your homework and I am glad we did not lose a rare car to this project.

Edited by Larry T

I agree whomever wrote the article didn't do their homework

Can anyone get those graphics or did he just buy them from the Terlingua people as I thought you had to be an owner to get them?

I'm assuming he had the graphics made locally as if you look at the rocker stripes it says Terlingua Island.

Steven

• 4 weeks later...

This was modified by a local Ford speed shop southeast of Raleigh (Fastlane Motorsports)....

The car was on full display in Myrtle Beach for MustangWeek last year in FL display;

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/91401-new-terlingua-spotted-in-the-wild/?p=1673098

http://www.horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151410

The graphics were redone by a buddy of mine, from my understanding they were "given" permission by the Neale family (TRT).

We all know the story is complete BS (As well as the owner who's been stretching the truth).

Well, the original owner drove his GT500 to many Shelby events, and is a friend and started coming to Terlingua in 2011. Terlingua Island is a coined phrase made by those of us who do the Terlingua event. Specifically, we tend to congregate at all events, and on one particular Mid America event, one of their organizers(I believe it was Earl Groves) was directing someone, and said "it's over there past Terlingua Island" as we had set up camp in the middle of the track near the fuel pumps. The name stuck. We liked it and ran with it. Another member of our group coined the phrase "fear the bunny". The following year, this GT500 owner had these graphics made up, and showed the car to Bill Neale out at Terlingua. Bill loved it, and even signed the car. It was done less as a clone or tribute as it was to celebrate our group as he specifically didn't want to build a clone or pass his car off for what it wasn't. Keep in mind that back at the moment in time, it was near impossible to find a Terlingua to buy, and there was ZERO chance any other Terlingua would ever be made. The love and passion for Terlingua by attendees( or what we would actually consider "members") has created many unique and fun builds and items that have done nothing but add to the legacy of Terlingua, Terlingua Racing, and Terlingua Preservation Society. As much as we dedicate to protect the brand of TRT, realize that it is a living and breathing entity that extends far beyond a couple of licensed builds and merchandise. The real brand is carried on in the people that promote it and love it in any way they can. (This is not to discount the legacy that originated TRT, but from 1968-2007, TRT was little more than a couple of small personal projects, t shirts and hats, stickers, and a certificate you could send in for to join the "official" team.). The 2005-2009 Terlingua was a short lived project that really created a new movement to not only rediscover a sub culture of the Shelby brand, but dare I say made it more popular than ever before, with owners who actual race their legitimate Terlingua, and a new annual event and pilgrimage that pays respect to the namesake of the movement.

Now, in regards to this specific article, I also agree that there are many inconsistencies that are completely false with the reality of the car, but the original owner didn't sell it under those pretenses. Whatever was said was either made up by the broker, the new owner, or the journalist who wrote the article.

I know this is long winded for an explanation, but with a new Terlingua build, and many new owners that haven't been introduced to the history of all this, vintage or last decade, it's important that the information that does circulate is both accurate and understood.

This isn't a secret society, so if anyone has questions, ask away!