TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Newbie needs help with potential 2016 GT-H purchase

Hi guys,

Profuse apologies up front for being a complete beginner in the Shelby world.

Here's the thing: just for fun I rented a GT-H for a weekend, and I absolutely loved it. Upon returning it, the manager noticed my excitement and told me that these cars would at some point be sold into the secondary market. This was several months ago. Without going into details, Hertz is now holding one of these puppies for me.

But, I'm concerned by two things - first, I'm not an experienced muscle car owner, so that makes me "play it by the book" and check my t:s and c:s. Second, Hertz Used Cars is not an experienced premium car retailer .... (again, won't go into details) ... and there have been a few yellow flags for me.

So whilst googling the current wisdom on Shelby in general and GT-H in particular, I came across this forum and y'all.... hence my posting:

What's the collective wisdom on these? Sounds like around 150 cars, but postings on this site in particular indicate a softness in demand (Hertz seems to be trickling them out and lowering the price in the progress). What's an after market experience here? I'm worried about the somewhat oddball Hertz/Ford/Shelby corporate birthing grounds. I don't know much about muscle cars ... but I do know a lot about product management in other areas of technology. Is it just me, or am I correct to feel some trepidation here?

Another way to ask ... let's say I'm in the market for a $50-100K muscle car, and for whatever reason, driving the 16 GTH "spoke to me". Loved the feel of driving it, loved the feel, felt the choices and design of the interior was just as I would have asked for it.

Any and all thoughts and comments welcome. Especially feel free to point to other threads / blogs etc, I've tried to read the f-ing manual on this topic before I posted, but it's hard to find extensive info.

Thanks and Happy Easter!

See here

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/92911-gt-h-for-sale-at-hertz-car-sales-dallas-mesquite-tx/?do=findComment&comment=1700092

There are other topics on these cars. Bottom line is that Hertz is trying to use tap water for bottled vanity water. Their prices are crazy stupid. Market for these cars is probably at 40-50K (and that's a broad range).

If you are looking for your first "muscle car" then I would say a Hertz is not what you should look for. If you are looking at the performance it can be had for 1/2 the price. You'd be paying a lot of money for a paint job.

On the other hand if you're looking for a car to take to car shows, drive on weekends and an occasional road trip ("a toy"), that will hold its value or at least depreciate less than other similar cars, then a Hertz will certainly be an attention getter wherever you go.

So:

at 100K for a rental with miles, run away

at 70K if you can get one of the exec zero miles cars and intend to park it in your living room it is eye candy. That price for a rental with miles is still too high.

at 40K a rental unit would be a weekend show and occasional road trip car, but it will take a while for that to happen.

So, were you attracted to the performance of the car? Put on a color blind visor and decide if it was the car that attracted you. If so you can do lots better for the price of a Hertz. If it was the performance and the paint job, wait for a while for Hertz to ratchet the prices down as the rest of the fleet comes off rental.

Edited by twobjshelbys

For that amount buy a 2017 GT-350 or one of the Numerous Shelby offerings. They will be brand new and the performance will greatly exceed the Hertz. I would look at the Hertz if the price was below $50K, they are out of control with their current pricing. It's all supply and demand and obviously demand is ZERO at the current asking prices. That means millionaire collectors aren't even willing to pay the current prices, that should tell you something.

Good luck with your search, this forum has a wealth of information, ask as many questions as you can think of.

Edited by carnut12

Like you I was crazy in love when I rented 085 last year just like when I found and purchased #352 way back in 2009 two years after it came off of rentals. But I wasn't lucky like you to drive a 2006 then. You can bet my last dollar that I was ready to throw $150,000 at Hertz when I saw #086 for sale in Schaumburg, Ill earlier this year but my better half slapped me and then I came around. And even when #086 did sell at $77,500 I cried. So my point is I waited 3 years when the prices of the 2006's came down considerably to purchase one of 500.

I can just imagine Doug reading these posts and smiling a little. I and all of us who now own these beautiful pieces of iron wish you the best in your purchase. And when and if you do get lucky please post up with pictures so we can all go oooo and ahhh.

Agree with all above. These cars should be $40-$50K. However, with only 171 of them and the number of buyers that are willing to pay $40-$50K, I'm guessing that when a larger amount of the cars come out of service in the next few months, that they will probably sell closer to $50K. I would like to see them drop to the $40K range, but I'm guessing that will not happen until later in the used market a couple years down the road. We'll just have to see. However $70K+ is insane for one of the rentals seeing as you can get a GT350 in the $50's. Even for those of us are waiting to get in around there that have GT-H mental issues. :hysterical: When I get one, I'm planning to send it right out to Vegas for supercharging and wheel/tire upgrades.

Like you I was crazy in love when I rented 085 last year just like when I found and purchased #352 way back in 2009 two years after it came off of rentals. But I wasn't lucky like you to drive a 2006 then. You can bet my last dollar that I was ready to throw $150,000 at Hertz when I saw #086 for sale in Schaumburg, Ill earlier this year but my better half slapped me and then I came around. And even when #086 did sell at $77,500 I cried. So my point is I waited 3 years when the prices of the 2006's came down considerably to purchase one of 500.

I can just imagine Doug reading these posts and smiling a little. I and all of us who now own these beautiful pieces of iron wish you the best in your purchase. And when and if you do get lucky please post up with pictures so we can all go oooo and ahhh.

:):thumbsup:

QSS

Hey Steven... agree with all the advice already stated. It will definitely hold its value better than a non Shelby of equivalent performance. You can enjoy having something special and participate in car shows for years to come. I rented one and put it in our clubs yearly car show last year. Along the lines of others' advice, you could wait until you can snag one in the 60s.

You could go the GTE route. For roughly the same price you can get the same car with a supercharger, your choice of color and a manual. There is a beautiful one at York Ford outside of Boston listed for $77k if you can't wait for the build.

That all being said...Go with what you love. You can't explain it to the nay sayers, but you know when it hits you. I fell hard for the 2015 Shelby GT but hesitated a long time from so many people on forums panning it. By the time I decided I was ready, it was no longer offered. I eventually sent the car to become a Super Snake, but still wish I had gone for the Shelby GT when I could.

Thank you everybody for extensive comments and advice! I did love the car, but i don't love the idea of getting stiffed by corporate on price.

I'm processing ... all advice and commentary continues to be welcome.

That is a very logical and sane response. So the final wrap up would be, if you really like the car, to wait at least a year for Hertz to complete the purge of the cars off active rentals. Once that volume hits the market, prices will come down. Another year and those will start to change hands for real market prices.

P.S. I saw one leaving the Vegas rental facility today and it did look sweet.

Yep, just a waiting game and then buy at what you are willing to pay. It's always a gamble on when they will bottom, if you want to be the first owner after rental duty. When the '06 came out, I knew I wanted one bad, but they were initially selling between $70-$80K+. I waited and found mine about a year 1/2 later for $32K, which is close to what they bottomed out at. At the time I bought mine, there were still plenty out there in the $40-$50K range. Of course that was at Ford dealers all around. I'm not sure if the Hertz dealers will work closer together on pricing. Of course there are only 171 out there this time, compared to 500 in '06.

Steven9476

In the past 4-5 months, Hertz has advertised 14 of their 2016 GThs and has sold 3. There's currently 11 on their site. I just looked and the price on a couple has "gone up" from previous $69900 to $70900...and they're saying "$1000 off". Strange marketing strategy, to say the least!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78992-06-07-16-gt-hs-currently-for-sale-on-various-websites-updated-41817/

UPDATE: 7PM today.....Hertz has added another GTH to their list of cars for sale...#77

Edited by HERTZ II