TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing stripes

Mustang_Scotty

:headscratch:

This from the guy selling "mustangblackout"?

If the question is for your new Vapor beauty, Scotty...... :stop: DON'T DO IT!!!!

Edit- It totally depends on how long they've been on....most likely NO

Edited by BIKEBOY

Yea right...................... gg

I would be very careful on this and be ready to paint your trunk. top, bumpers, and hood. I removed mine and replaced. It was not pretty. Get someone who knows what they are doing. Leave out in the sun before getting started.

gg

Why are you wanting to remove them? Are you looking to get them replaced (either with new vinyl or painted) or looking to go "stripe delete"? If you aren't going to replace them then expect there to be differences in paint where the stripes were. You might get away with removing them very early in the vehicle life but as time goes on it's more difficult

The black stripes on the silver vert?

You might get lucky, that looks like 3M 7725, if it hasn't seen a lot of sun it should come off relatively easy. If you can get a corner started, gentle and persistent tension on the adhesive is the trick. A helper would be nice.

The vista blue stripes on my '07 would be near impossible being a thicker vinyl and baked on.

Vinyl is not that difficult to remove if you select the right method based on the type and condition of your vinyl. For this particular case and based on what the OP stated, it should be a simple matter of a properly applied heat gun, some patience and perhaps a small can of vinyl adhesive remover for areas where the adhesive may separate from the vinyl and stay adhered to the vehicle. Also many people are not aware that for areas where it is difficult to get under the edge of the vinyl or where your vinyl is cracked or coming up in small pieces there are companies that make plastic razor blades and holders for plastic razor blades along with some vinyl solvents. These type of plastic blades are inexpensive and will not harm your paint and they work well on areas that may have areas of vinyl where the adhesive is somewhat “baked on”.

Here is an excellent website with explanations, tools and techniques to source vinyl removal products.

https://blog.signwarehouse.com/a-basic-guide-to-vinyl-removal-options/

I have used the plastic razor blades to remove vinyl and also used them to get under trunk lettering and other emblems.

Be very careful !! In a perfect world your stripes will come off in large pieces, but the majority wont. Picking those edges up on the little pieces of tape left with a razorblade should be done by a professional or you will have little marks in your paint. I had the stripes (vinyl) taken off my 07 GT and had them painted on, looks awesome, but it was a lot of work.