TEAM SHELBY FORUM

13-14 Heat Exchanger in a '07-'09 anyone do it?

kazman

Any advice on the install?

I'll be using a 13-14 pump too.

I imagine I'll have to make some custom brackets and plumbing.

TIA,

Dennis

Because the 2013/14 H/E does not have fans, most move directly to a unit that includes fans for quicker cooling recovery.

The 2013/14 pump can be installed on a 2007-2012 in the oem 2013/14 location with the oem mounting hardware. It is virtually a plug and play on a 2011/12 since they have electric power steering. The 2007-2010 requires a bit more engineering to reroute the power steering pressure line around the 2013/14 pump but it it doable to give a nice clean oem look in the earlier car.

The relocated p/s hose in place...........

001_zpsxamhwkpo.jpg

The p/s reservoir installed.........

009_zpsqzgl2tqo.jpg

^^^^^Above, the 2013/14 reservoir by-pass hose (which is also an important part of the 2013/14 system) is also installed from the pump to the reservoir.

Don't forget the 2013/14 radiator fan shroud that is also a functional part of this system. In addition to the fan itself being larger diameter, as well as the fan opening, it has 4 trapped doors in the area of the plastic shroud which is directly behind the H/E for better air flow in the lower area behind the heat exchanger. I have side-by-side comparison pictures of the oem 2007-2012 and 2013/14 fan shrouds also, if you want to see the differences. The shroud is plug and play.

R

Edited by Robert M

Thanks for the input Robert.

If you would please, the pics of the shrouds would be beneficial.

Dennis

No problem. On the earlier cars, owners replace parts of the H/E-I/C system but then forget (or don't know about) the other parts that through testing, Ford's Special Vehicle Team (actually SVE - Special Vehicle Engineers) found were also in need of an upgrade for proper S/C cooling system performance as the horsepower increases.

001_zpsdynhjcvq.jpg

006_zpsexf3qdxr.jpg

005_zpsi4la6dox.jpg

Above - The doors in the bottom of the shroud. These doors allow air to move through easier instead of being funneled through the fan opening and were probably also taken into consideration as a less restrictive air flow area when trying to get to 200 mph. and building heat the whole way there. Either way, unrestricted air flow behind the H/E will only benefit cool through the H/E, even if you have a H/E with fans.

Below - This is kinda cool, the "SVT" touch!!......

004_zpstq5mtasg.jpg

One other thing that is also cool about this 2013/14 shroud, it has the extra mounting area so that the Roush 3X reservoir can be properly mounted/secured in two locations without "looking added" or only hanging by the one original fastener on the 2007-2012 shroud..............

007_zpshhgotsab.jpg

I bought the correct clip from Ford (actually a bag of 4)..........

008_zpsmzgspkr7.jpg

The shroud clipped in place just like the original and the power pigtail connected just like the original..............

010_zpsr9hqrnvn.jpg

and the extra capacity Roush 3X attached to the shroud as if it had been there from the Ford assy. line.............

018_zpsdhzpgye8.jpg

^^^^^The install of the Roush 3X requires some hose modifications at each end (inlet and outlet) and the 2013/14 by-pass hose can also be modified to work with the Roush 3X.

I mentioned the 2013/14 GT500 reservoir by-pass hose, here is what it looks like..............

002_zpsjmkn5lpd.jpg

and it has a restrictor installed inside from the factory (at arrow)...............

003_zpsopsaejp9.jpg

Some owners have only installed the 2013/14 I/C pump into their 2007-2012 S/C cooling system and found that the flow is too much and there is much turbulence in the reservoir, which also introduces air into the system, you do not want air to mix into the coolant, the efficiency of the system will degrade with air. This is why Ford's SVE (engineers) built a by-pass hose set-up, the reservoir can degas the system (get air out), but the main flow (higher flow) can continue without going through the degas reservoir.

Now the last part of the 2013/14 GT500 S/C cooling system that Ford's SVT found to need upsizing at the 662 level is the I/C, but many owners don't even want to think about that. I chose to go even larger with the KB BIGUN I/C, but I don't know when I will tackle that project???? That is currently wayyyy down my list, but at least I have the parts when I do decide to dig into it.

Anyway, that is about the extent of my knowledge about the GT500 S/C cooling system(s), I'm sure there is more, but this will shed a small amount of light from what I have found and what I have read from other owner experiences................

R

Edited by Robert M