TEAM SHELBY FORUM

At The Verizon Store Today

I've been trying to get a business account. In the store, they tell you, "We'll get them in touch with you." but never do! I finally contacted Verizon business directly online Monday and received an email saying, "We'll get back to you shortly." Haven't yet......same ol, same ol! I'm really, REALLY tired of dealing with them! Got any insights on small business accounts? There are 3 of us with company phones and the bill is $250+ ! It's killing me!

Why not just get the "Family Plan" and see if they will put it under your Business Name.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is the age old one........... How in the f*ck did we live without them forever???? That said, why the f*ck do I need one now???!

:drop:

Edit- I keep threatening the wife, I'm getting rid of the damn thing! One day it'll kill me anyway, as I shouldn't be texting and driving. :doh:

Edited by BIKEBOY

My question is the age old one........... How in the f*ck did we live without them forever???? That said, why the f*ck do I need one now???!

:drop:

Edit- I keep threatening the wife, I'm getting rid of the damn thing! One day it'll kill me anyway, as I shouldn't be texting and driving. :doh:

You live without one??? :doh: Yea Right :whistling:

The amount of texting you do...no way you would give it up. :hysterical2::hysterical2::sunny:

I have been a Verizon Wireless customer since the mid 90's, and had them for my landline and DSL since the Ma bell split! I never wanted to drop them since my Verizon email has been tied to everything! Now Verizon has decided to drop email services and everything was forced to AOL email! I get to keep the @verizon.net email but it is no longer through Verizon so I will be changing carriers very soon.

I use my smartphone mainly for talking, texting (and No BikeBoy, I don't text and drive) and taking pictures. Since I don't have a home PC I will use it on weekends for forum and Facebook use. Aside from that I use it for very little web based stuff, so i can live without it.

... Verizon email has been tied to everything! Now Verizon has decided to drop email services and everything was forced to AOL email! I get to keep the @verizon.net email but it is no longer through Verizon so I will be changing carriers very soon.

That is why I went with a private domain. I've had the same email address for, golly, probably 20 years now. Back then when most stuff was dial up those providers on a local level would come and go as often as some people change underwear. We got tired of changing our email address too. We finally found earthlink (a more or less nationwide dial up provider) and have kept them but instead of dial up I now use their domain parking service. For $4.95/mo you get your domain parked, something like 20 email addresses (you@yourdomain.net, me@yourdomain.net, etc). Their email can be linked to your computers by POP3 or you can use their local web interface. At something like 5GB of email I just use POP (and outlook on my PC, and POP3 readers on tablets/phones) and leave the email at the server and tidy it up a couple of times a year.

Google has a similar domain parking service. But I haven't figured out how their email (gmail) integrates with private domain stuff. It's part of their commercial services so there isn't much out there. GoDaddy now is a full-fledged service too having added email services to back up your domain. I've stayed with earthlinks because their spam filtering is pretty good.

Anyway, if you're going to have to change email addresses now might be the time to go private domain. You might have to or want to change parking services but to the outside world that is a seamless transition.

That is why I went with a private domain. I've had the same email address for, golly, probably 20 years now. Back then when most stuff was dial up those providers on a local level would come and go as often as some people change underwear. We got tired of changing our email address too. We finally found earthlink (a more or less nationwide dial up provider) and have kept them but instead of dial up I now use their domain parking service. For $4.95/mo you get your domain parked, something like 20 email addresses (you@yourdomain.net, me@yourdomain.net, etc). Their email can be linked to your computers by POP3 or you can use their local web interface. At something like 5GB of email I just use POP (and outlook on my PC, and POP3 readers on tablets/phones) and leave the email at the server and tidy it up a couple of times a year.

Google has a similar domain parking service. But I haven't figured out how their email (gmail) integrates with private domain stuff. It's part of their commercial services so there isn't much out there. GoDaddy now is a full-fledged service too having added email services to back up your domain. I've stayed with earthlinks because their spam filtering is pretty good.

Anyway, if you're going to have to change email addresses now might be the time to go private domain. You might have to or want to change parking services but to the outside world that is a seamless transition.

yeah okay sounds great.... in reality it sounds Greek to me! domain, POP, parking spaces...... :headspin:

I use Yahoo for my main Email and Comcast for my back ups. I now own 18 Domain Names and 10 of them are Web Sites that I built and use. I just bought a Domain Name today for one of my Inventions incase I decide to Market it in the near Future. All my Web Sites are .com's except one which is a .net but I have stopped using it as of last week. "FriendsOfTheHawk" , "HawksEvents" , "davidthawkins" & "MustangSyndicate" are my 4 main Web Sites I do a lot with. 16 of my Domains are with Go Daddy and 2 (soon to be just 1) are with Yahoo.

Edited by tesgt350

I've used gmail since it was beta, but you gotta watch them these days. They will keep you logged into their account while you're browsing around and then use your data to market to you. I work in that stack so I can't really complain. I use Thunderbird to get my email so I don't have to login from a web browser. I have a domain account with GoDaddy as well but I don't use it for personal purposes. I run my old state's mustang club website on it and give out email addresses with their domain to whoever wants one.

One thing is for sure, the only thing that stays the same is change. Just roll with the flow.

I've used gmail since it was beta, but you gotta watch them these days. They will keep you logged into their account while you're browsing around and then use your data to market to you. I work in that stack so I can't really complain. I use Thunderbird to get my email so I don't have to login from a web browser. I have a domain account with GoDaddy as well but I don't use it for personal purposes. I run my old state's mustang club website on it and give out email addresses with their domain to whoever wants one.

One thing is for sure, the only thing that stays the same is change. Just roll with the flow.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how I manage email. I use it like God intended - the email host is a host for a mailbox. I use an email client - specifically, Microsoft Outlook. The reason is primarily because we have multiple PCs accessing the server. This way we can both download all the email to our own laptops, phones and tablets, and everyone sees a completely coherent set of messages. The result is that all messages are always on the server. This is done using the old POP3 protocol. If I let any one client delete the messages then they wouldn't be visible to the next person that polled email. I occasionally (two or three times a year) use the Earthlink web interface to "archive" the messages into 6-month folders. Today I just deleted the messages for the year 2015 since the host was at 82% capacity.

My wife's Thinkpad battery has officially died, so I'm moving all of her stuff to a new machine. In the process I found that her old Office 2003 (that's the age of the software, not the pc, it's 7 years old) is no longer supported by Microsoft. Fortunately I kept SP3 on a CD but all of the updates after that are no longer available. Anyway, I'm looking for a way to "divorce" ourselves from Microsoft. I've looked at Thunderbird as an email client but they don't seem to be able to deal with the Microsoft .PST files. I installed all of Office 2003 for Word and Excel that she uses but am considering a trial -- on another system that will be repurposed to replace my current machine -- of the Open Office suite.

I hate having to be the IT guy... I used to like it. When I was at DEC I got full access to VAX/VMS stuff, even contributing to the master pack as one of the few outside developers, and often ran "yesterday's build". I had similar access to the Windows 8 and early Windows 10 stuff since we were testing USB stuff. And going back even further, I tested the early Mac OS (I think starting in the v4 time frame, since we were developing SCSI drives for Apple then). Now, I find OS changes to be tedious. I was looking forward to getting Android 7 on my phone since my Nexus had been updated, but you know what? I can't see that I got anything for it other than a bigger memory footprint and less battery life. Sigh...

Edited by twobjshelbys