TEAM SHELBY FORUM

PCM Issue HELP!!!

Xtopfuel

hey guys I have a serious issue, I have a Dakota Shelby and had an injector issue, I replaced the injectors and still had the same issue (no even bank spray) I traced the entire harness looking for a brake in harness and notta so I traced to computer only to find its a 89 2.5 pcm UGH I need a pcm for an 89 Dakota Shelby HELP!!!!!

hey guys I have a serious issue, I have a Dakota Shelby and had an injector issue, I replaced the injectors and still had the same issue (no even bank spray) I traced the entire harness looking for a brake in harness and notta so I traced to computer only to find its a 89 2.5 pcm UGH I need a pcm for an 89 Dakota Shelby HELP!!!!!

I am amazed that an 89 2.5 computer will run a V8 Dakota at all. So, lets start at the simplest checks. Is there a part number on the computer? It should be 7 digits, the correct Shelby number is 4504475. If there is a different number, please reply with it.

Have you run the codes to see if there is a fault code stored in the pcm? The reason I ask is that if it IS a pcm for a 2.5, there is no error code in a 2.5 that would indicate any thing to do with "bank spray" as a 2.5 only has one injector in the throttle body (for all 4 cylinders). If you have run the codes to see what they are, please list them in your reply.

If you don't know how to run the codes (with the ignition key), I can help with that also.

Barry

Hey Barry,

Thank you, yes it was definitely a 2.5 PCM you are correct about the part number and I have hours and hours of phone calls trying to find one, I even spoke to cardone and no help so what I did was I ordered one for an 89 d250 which has the 318 tbi and it runs like a raped ape, now my concern is and I would like to find the correct PCM because the Shelby has an A500 4 speed auto and the trucks did not with tbi my next issue as I believe it has a driver is the tachometer, with the 2.5 PCM I had an erratic tach now I have none as I am sure a d250 didn't have a tach but whatever the 2.5 was in did. Right now it's running and running very good, I have not driven it but on the lift it has 1-2-3 shift but I don't know if it will go into overdrive with this PCM

This past weekend, I was talking with a friend that has a Shelby Dakota (2nd owner, owned since 1991). The topic of computers came up and he happened to mention that his scan tool identified his original Shelby Dakota computer as one for a 2.5 liter, with multi-point fuel injection (which would be a flex fuel unit). I recalled the problem you were having and I was wondering if that is the way you identified your computer as a 2.5 (through a scan tool).

The confusion may come from using a scan tool that does not recognize the V8 engine in an 89 Dakota (since in 1989 the largest motor from the factory was the V6). Many scan tools (that I am aware of) ask the year and engine code from the VIN to determine what the engine is. This alone would not work for a Shelby Dakota as the VIN would indicate the truck as having a V6.

I am not certain if all scan tools suffer from this problem or not (including the Chrysler DRB models). But it was the first time I had heard verification of the problem.

The tachometer function would be found only in computers that were for "sport" models, or "sport" trim levels. There is no source for original Shelby computers. It may be possible to manually control the overdrive function with a switch to ground (see an electrical wiring diagram for info). The downside to this would be that to get it out of overdrive (at any speed) the switch would need to be turned "off". So it would require the driver to "pay attention" to what is going on.

Barry

Good morning Barry, thank you for the update, actually I called for a PCM to computer exchange and when he asked the number on existing u nit he told me it was for a 2.5 when I called the dealer and several local parts houses the VIN indicates a 5.2 as the Y code is a 5.2, when we purchased this truck it had junkyard writing on the pcm but was not legible

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys/gals im hoping someone can help with another issue, man these trucks are hard to find info on, I am looking at the trans cooler and see one between condenser and radiator has lines cut and has an aftermarket clamped to the condenser, not a big deal except the lines are running from drivers side to pass side then back to drivers side, not only dysfunctional but looks like shit, if in fact the one between the condenser and rad is factory the lines would also run same route. does anyone have a picture of the core support assembly with rad, trans cooler and condenser? I would prefer to use original but not sure why lines cut

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

hey guys/gals im hoping someone can help with another issue, man these trucks are hard to find info on, I am looking at the trans cooler and see one between condenser and radiator has lines cut and has an aftermarket clamped to the condenser, not a big deal except the lines are running from drivers side to pass side then back to drivers side, not only dysfunctional but looks like shit, if in fact the one between the condenser and rad is factory the lines would also run same route. does anyone have a picture of the core support assembly with rad, trans cooler and condenser? I would prefer to use original but not sure why lines cut

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

The cooler between the radiator and the a/c condenser is stock, the one clamped to the condenser is aftermarket. The question is why did someone make this modification. Was the stock cooler leaking? Did they just want a larger cooler?

Do you know if the radiator is original or has that been changed?

Steve

thank you Steve, the radiator looks to be factory, the cooler between rad and condenser appears to be custom made possibly by Shelby, the part that gets me is the hose routing, since both hoses go from drivers side toward pass side to even get connected to the original the hoses are not very well routed im hoping for a picture of an original but cant find anywhere

The reason I was asking if the radiator was original as if it is original it too will have a transmission cooler built into the bottom radiator tank.

The question remains, was this aftermarket cooler added because one of the two original coolers were leaking or did someone add the aftermarket cooler to improve on the factory cooling?

Attached is the only diagram I can find that may assist you.

IMG_2709.jpg

that's what I have been looking for thank you very much, so as I see this it goes into the original radiator tank cooler then splits off to the oil to air cooler Shelby installed, we will test the oil to air cooler today to see if holds pressure if yes we will get some adaptors and reroute all.

thank you