TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Went into Limp mode with a P2138

p51302

Hi,

My CEL is NOT illuminated.

I was driving in a remote area carving some simple turns at around 30-45 MPH in second gear. As I was reaching the apex of a turn, I was slowly getting on the gas. Then it happened. It felt like the transmission jumped out of gear. But it didn't. The wrench was displayed, and the car had no power. I was far from home, so I thought I was screwed. I slowly pulled off to the side of the road.

My daughter just said just turn off the car and start it again. Thinking I knew cars, I thought to myself that there is no way that is working.

But, I didn't have a choice. I turned off the car. With cell phone in hand about to call AAA, I paused two seconds and started the car right up with no CEL and no wrench. I was stunned. I drove slowly for a while expecting the problem to show up again. It didn't. I then decided to get back to driving to make it happen again. It didn't. HUH?

Again, the CEL and wrench lights are NOT illuminated.

I then used my scan tool to pull codes. I had the following code in history, NOT in pending codes and NOT in current codes:

• P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D/E Voltage Correlation

Unfortunately, the online manual I use don't really discuss this error. I'm about to back-probe the dual TPSs to ensure they have no issues.

Has anyone had this issue? Looking at other posts on the internet, others have experienced this as well, but none of them really told me the issue. They usually just took it in and then end of post. Others say they installed another throttle and got a re-map; parts changing (no likey). And, others say just get a re-map; for me this fix makes no sense since this is a hard error not a mapping error (right?).

Does anyone know the diagnostic procedure for looking into this? Or what resource do you suggest I use to look into this?

Thanks

I've been living through this hell for years. Do you have any mods or any wiring done in your engine bay? Extra gauges installed? I have spent lots of money chasing this intermittent issue as well in my Hertz. I even got a new custom tune thinking it was a possible tuning issue after already replacing the TPS sensor, then ultimately the throttle body, routinely cleaning the MAP sensors, new filters, etc.. Turns out, it was some wiring done when installing the Whipple that was running parallel with the alternator harness causing some sort of voltage spikes. I had a good experienced mechanic ID this problem and re-route some wiring. I haven't had the problem now since. It sucks driving the car wondering if/when it will happen again.

Thank you for replying ITHERTZ66.

Nope. My car is stock. I have done nothing to it yet. It has 3800 miles on it. It is a baby.

Well, this worries me since it is in stock trim and getting this issue.

I'm wondering if the fly-by-wire technology just can't handle the necessary quick deltas when carving turns. If so, that was really lame of Ford and how did that pass their tests?.....

Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you for replying ITHERTZ66.

Nope. My car is stock. I have done nothing to it yet. It has 3800 miles on it. It is a baby.

Well, this worries me since it is in stock trim and getting this issue.

I'm wondering if the fly-by-wire technology just can't handle the necessary quick deltas when carving turns. If so, that was really lame of Ford and how did that pass their tests?.....

Anyone else have this issue?

I'd start by cleaning the MAF sensor with the appropriate designated cleaner. Have you recently oiled your air cleaner? Sometimes too much oil can cause this as it contaminates the sensor. I'd also do a good cleaning of the throttle body. If none of that works you can replace just the TPS sensor on the throttle body or replace the whole thing.

Edited by ITHERTZ66

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My CEL is NOT illuminated.

I was driving in a remote area carving some simple turns at around 30-45 MPH in second gear. As I was reaching the apex of a turn, I was slowly getting on the gas. Then it happened. It felt like the transmission jumped out of gear. But it didn't. The wrench was displayed, and the car had no power. I was far from home, so I thought I was screwed. I slowly pulled off to the side of the road.

My daughter just said just turn off the car and start it again. Thinking I knew cars, I thought to myself that there is no way that is working.

But, I didn't have a choice. I turned off the car. With cell phone in hand about to call AAA, I paused two seconds and started the car right up with no CEL and no wrench. I was stunned. I drove slowly for a while expecting the problem to show up again. It didn't. I then decided to get back to driving to make it happen again. It didn't. HUH?

Again, the CEL and wrench lights are NOT illuminated.

I then used my scan tool to pull codes. I had the following code in history, NOT in pending codes and NOT in current codes:

• P2138 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D/E Voltage Correlation

Unfortunately, the online manual I use don't really discuss this error. I'm about to back-probe the dual TPSs to ensure they have no issues.

Has anyone had this issue? Looking at other posts on the internet, others have experienced this as well, but none of them really told me the issue. They usually just took it in and then end of post. Others say they installed another throttle and got a re-map; parts changing (no likey). And, others say just get a re-map; for me this fix makes no sense since this is a hard error not a mapping error (right?).

Does anyone know the diagnostic procedure for looking into this? Or what resource do you suggest I use to look into this?

Thanks

Here is a good article about p2138. Lists possible causes and also has some diagnostic steps.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p2138