TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 GT500 at MSRP?

dhouston

I have been keeping an eye on a couple of local dealers that have GT500's in inventory. The dealers are not cutting prices, but the cars do not seem to be moving.

I am hoping that when the 08's start to trickle in it will force the dealers to go to MSRP on any 2007's left, and I am further hoping that the market is getting close to saturated, as I am personally unwilling to pay over MSRP to acquire another toy.

I intend to swing by a couple of local dealers this weekend and see if they are ready to deal, or if they are still going to hold out.

In my area of Southern California, the cars are generally marked at 20k over sticker, they will move to 10k over with a phone call, and it looks like 5-7k over with some further dickering.

Well the market is a very looooong way away from being saturated! LESS than 25% of the dealerships have one to sell.

A number of the dealers that do have some and where they have several are the dealers that bought them from other dealers paying $10K + to get them. So they will be holding out for a long time before they take an actual loss on it. If need be, they will just sit on them all through 2008 until they are all gone where there are very few left to be had. At that point you will see the highest mark ups ever. The only thing that will kill and prevent that is IF ford decides to build it again for 09, which they are still saying no for 09.

Over 90% of the 2007 production has been sold already. The goods news for you is that out of the remaining 10% left, 25% of those are all located in CA.

As of right NOW.....7:50 PM Central time.....there is a total of 208 dealers in CA and a total of 222 GT500's left. 173 Coupes and 49 Convertibles!

That is about 25% of total remaining 2007 GT500's.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be Patient, they are making 8,000 more GT500's. Not to mention that some people that bought GT500's are gonna sell them to get into a KR. Just look at the numbers and you can figure out that MSRP will be reached in September/October. I know a few dealers that frequent this sight are going to tell you otherwise, but it is really simple economic's. Prices have been dropping steadily every few months, what does that tell you? Yes their will be a few absurd amounts that will be gotten but the fact is their are not that many Mustang enthusiasts that can afford 50k on a car.

Now getting into the KR might be a little different. With roughly only 1000 to 1500 units being made, it could be much more difficult to get a good deal on one.

My guess is the KR will follow the same pattern as the GT500. First dozen will be outrageous and I will personally laugh at the fools who spend 90k+ for a mustang (shelby or not). The next 300 will probably sell 15k to 25k over msrp. Then the bulk of 500 to 600 will go for 10k over msrp. Is it possible the last 100 or so will go under 10k over msrp? Who knows.

Just keep in mind that with Ford raising the MSRP on the KR it makes it much more difficult for dealers to collect a higher ADM for them.

Just look at Ebay and you will see the same bunch of GT500's coming up for sale and not meeting the reserve. Public doesnt seem to want to pay over 50k for them. As they sit they will start going for 48k or lower.

Personally I believe you will be able to get into a GT 500 as MSRP in October. I think in Decemeber you might be able to get it under MSRP with X plan or other incentives.

"My guess is the KR will follow the same pattern as the GT500. First dozen will be outrageous and I will personally laugh at the fools who spend 90k+ for a mustang (shelby or not). The next 300 will probably sell 15k to 25k over msrp. Then the bulk of 500 to 600 will go for 10k over msrp. Is it possible the last 100 or so will go under 10k over msrp? Who knows."

I am going to laugh my ars off after the first 500 to 700 KR's are sold and Ford announces 2500 to 3000 more KR's because we want to meet the demand.

I believe supply will start to arrive in late August, saturation should start to occur in late september. Give the dealers a month or two sitting on a bunch of cars on consignment and then they should be ready to deal.

I wish I had a dollar for everyone who in the summer of 2006 said that the prices would be at MSRP in spring of 2007. I'd have a fair number of dollars....and most of those people are no longer on the forum.

AD

I have been keeping an eye on a couple of local dealers that have GT500's in inventory. The dealers are not cutting prices, but the cars do not seem to be moving.

I am hoping that when the 08's start to trickle in it will force the dealers to go to MSRP on any 2007's left, and I am further hoping that the market is getting close to saturated, as I am personally unwilling to pay over MSRP to acquire another toy.

I intend to swing by a couple of local dealers this weekend and see if they are ready to deal, or if they are still going to hold out.

In my area of Southern California, the cars are generally marked at 20k over sticker, they will move to 10k over with a phone call, and it looks like 5-7k over with some further dickering.

You might consider paying slightly over MSRP in exchange for the 0% financing....of course that assumes you were going to finance the car in the first place. Or, if you're like me, even if you weren't planning to finance it...take the 0% financing, invest the money in an account earning 5.25% (www.countrywide.com), then pay off the entire loan when due and pocket the difference.

Dave

Dave i dont think the 0% applies to the gt500 or the shelby gt and if it does its only for a 36month term,but I could be mistaken .

Yes, it does apply to the Shelby GT and the GT500. It is only for 36 months and it ends on Monday July 9th. 2007 model year only.

Credit Tier 0-1 = 0%

Credit Tier 2 = 0.90%

Credit Tier 3 = 1.9%

Credit Tier 4-5 = 3.9%

Tier 5 is bottom of the barrell crap credit! Tier 5 is usually an automatic turn down. But the worse credit and if Ford Credit will buy your loan you can still get 3.9% for 36 months.

Well the market is a very looooong way away from being saturated! LESS than 25% of the dealerships have one to sell.

A number of the dealers that do have some and where they have several are the dealers that bought them from other dealers paying $10K + to get them. So they will be holding out for a long time before they take an actual loss on it. If need be, they will just sit on them all through 2008 until they are all gone where there are very few left to be had. At that point you will see the highest mark ups ever. The only thing that will kill and prevent that is IF ford decides to build it again for 09, which they are still saying no for 09.

Over 90% of the 2007 production has been sold already. The goods news for you is that out of the remaining 10% left, 25% of those are all located in CA.

As of right NOW.....7:50 PM Central time.....there is a total of 208 dealers in CA and a total of 222 GT500's left. 173 Coupes and 49 Convertibles!

That is about 25% of total remaining 2007 GT500's.

----------------------------------------------------------------

ShelbyDude........You are so correct......I have tried to stay out of this ADM is BS war of words.......

The Customers that WANT a GT500 will and have stepped up to the plate.........

I have SOLD 17 GT500's so far, and ALL have brought $10-18K over (depending on how far I had to go, and how much I had to pay to find the car that my Customer wanted)

I just got in a White w/Tung Stripes GT500 Coupe. I paid $10 over, a guy walked in and said...if that were a Red w/white stripe car I would give you $15,000 over MSRP. I asked him if I could get what he WANTED in 3 days was he a buyer..........He said yes. Guess what he was #17 and is VERY HAPPY. This happened this week.

I have a White SGT Auto at SAI that is getting a SuperCharger, gauges, lower grille/lights, etc. that I now have $50,000 invested in. Should be 1 of only a very limited few. It will sell for $55,000 here in Denver. The same price as a GT500 with $10k ADM.........oh well.....we'll see.

randy

Ford Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr.

Denver, CO 303 584-6623

Dreamer? No try realist. Why don't I move on a car right now? The supply hasn't arrived yet silly. You have to wait until the supply saturates. I believe supply will start to arrive in late August, saturation should start to occur in late september. Give the dealers a month or two sitting on a bunch of cars on consignment and then they should be ready to deal.

Zan186................Either you drink too much...........or not enough.....................J/K

If you want to take advantage of me..............I will pay you $1000 CASH for every NEW GT500 that you find for me at MSRP, PERIOD. Here's your chance to make some money.

I Have 2 Firm OFFERS at $100,000...................on any GT500KR that I can find.

randy

Denver, CO 303 584-6623

Dave i dont think the 0% applies to the gt500 or the shelby gt and if it does its only for a 36month term,but I could be mistaken .

It did apply to the GT500....but it was only for the '07s and only for a limited time..so it may be over already.

And yes...it was short term loans only...not sure if 24 or 36 months.

Dave

Hi Shelby Dude or does anyone know if the $1500 cash back applies i suppose not thanks for any info for the GT500 or SHELBY GT

No, the $1,500 cash back does not apply to the Shelby GT or GT500. They are only offering the 0% for 36 months. All other terms are standard rates.

It did apply to the GT500....but it was only for the '07s and only for a limited time..so it may be over already.

And yes...it was short term loans only...not sure if 24 or 36 months.

Dave

It does apply and it is good until Monday the 9th

It is for 36 months, but you could go shorter term and take 24 months or 12 months and still get the 0%, but why would anyone? It is Ford's money and it is FREE use of it so take for as long as you can and leave your cash in the bank.

Hey all -

Thanks for all the input. Didnt know I would start such a passionate topic!

I am a long time Mustang enthusiast. Currently I have a Boss 302 and 65 Fastback. I have been really enjoying these and havent been in any hurry for the Shelby. I have owned several Saleens in the past but now ready to step into a GT500.

The biggest thing that bothers me about all this is the dealer community "we will charge as much as we can for these over MSRP mentality. $10, $20, $25K over MSRP? Whatever we can get" I know the laws of supply and demand, but in the end, it drives away hard working people that are willing to pay a fair price for the car of their dreams. It also brings a bit of shadiness to the Ford dealer network. I know there are dealers on this site. And I hope that you are not offended. But my feedback is that these are good times for Mustang enthusiasts. Dont take too much advantage of people in good times as there always will be downturns in the economy.

My hats off to the folks that bought one already. These are great cars and if you can afford to pay extra, I am not knocking you at all. All the respect to you.

I will buy a GT500. But would not pay over MSRP. Based on several of the responses, MSRP is attainable. Just have to find the right dealer that is willing to be reasonable.

Thanks again for all the input.

Dave

Hey all -

Thanks for all the input. Didnt know I would start such a passionate topic!

I am a long time Mustang enthusiast. Currently I have a Boss 302 and 65 Fastback. I have been really enjoying these and havent been in any hurry for the Shelby. I have owned several Saleens in the past but now ready to step into a GT500.

The biggest thing that bothers me about all this is the dealer community "we will charge as much as we can for these over MSRP mentality. $10, $20, $25K over MSRP? Whatever we can get" I know the laws of supply and demand, but in the end, it drives away hard working people that are willing to pay a fair price for the car of their dreams. It also brings a bit of shadiness to the Ford dealer network. I know there are dealers on this site. And I hope that you are not offended. But my feedback is that these are good times for Mustang enthusiasts. Dont take too much advantage of people in good times as there always will be downturns in the economy.

My hats off to the folks that bought one already. These are great cars and if you can afford to pay extra, I am not knocking you at all. All the respect to you.

I will buy a GT500. But would not pay over MSRP. Based on several of the responses, MSRP is attainable. Just have to find the right dealer that is willing to be reasonable.

Thanks again for all the input.

Dave

I completely agree Dave

In an age where the Ford Corp is struggling to keep its head above water, dealers should be willing to do whatever it takes to earn and keep loyal customers. Yet things like this are going on. I too understand about supply vs. demand, blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying its wrong, but it leaves a taste in my mouth that one would describe as dog crap. :censored:

Zan186................Either you drink too much...........or not enough.....................J/K

If you want to take advantage of me..............I will pay you $1000 CASH for every NEW GT500 that you find for me at MSRP, PERIOD. Here's your chance to make some money.

I Have 2 Firm OFFERS at $100,000...................on any GT500KR that I can find.

randy

Denver, CO 303 584-6623

hmm, I hope your offer stands from October through Febuary 08. For I think if you honored that arrangement you would be buying me a new car. I think there was another post of people who got their cars for MSRP and it wasnt exactly a small list.

The KR series I would agree it will most likely not get close to MSRP due to such limited numbers. But we are talking 20x the number with the GT 500.

Or, to paraphrase...

The biggest thing that bothers me about all this is the customer community "we will pay as little as we can for every new Ford other than GT500's" and "I want it under invoice mentality." "$10, $20, $25K under MSRP? Whatever we can get." I know the laws of supply and demand, but in the end, it drives away hard working salespeople and dealerships that are willing to work for a low commission to sell the rigs that aren't the cars, trucks, or SUV's of your dreams. It also brings a bit of shadiness to the industry "experts" like Consumer Reports, Kelly Blue Book, etc. that try to teach customers how to get dealers to sell for a loss. I know there are customers on this site. And I hope that you are not offended. But my feedback is that these are good times for car buyers. Dont take too much advantage of dealers in good times or they may all be out of business when there are downturns in the economy. Then who will you buy from.

OK, enough of me being a wise guy. Here's the real issue as I see it. Why is it OK to expect a dealer to sell you a brand new truck or SUV for many thousands below MSRP, but it is not OK for a dealer to expect many thousands above MSRP on a hot product. It can't be a one-way street. If you want a huge discount on slow sellers, we want a huge markup on the hot sellers. That's fair, isn't it?

hmm, I hope your offer stands from October through Febuary 08. For I think if you honored that arrangement you would be buying me a new car. I think there was another post of people who got their cars for MSRP and it wasnt exactly a small list.

The KR series I would agree it will most likely not get close to MSRP due to such limited numbers. But we are talking 20x the number with the GT 500.

Zan186 keep my # handy........while you your sleeping & dreaming, 9 more GT500's went to good homes here in the Denver area. (2 buy me) There will not be any cars left to buy.

AND PLEASE HURRY I would love to buy you a car, if you can get me MSRP OR UNDER deals.

randy

Mr. Zan186

According to Shelbydude there is about 25% of Shelby's not sold nation wide are in Ca and I looked today on Ebay and the only one I saw was wrecked Grabber orange hit in the driver door. But hay I think You can get it for under sticker.

The KR will never see the street because they are only going to make 1,000 and if you think that people will drive them well think again. I see Ron Pratt running up the price no this one. He paid 600,000 for the first GT500.

Look how many GT500 's have bit the dust and they have made 12,000 of them.

I paid over sticker for mine and I don't care now because My dream car is in My garage and I can drive her any time I want.

You cant drive a dream it ain't real

Art

Or, to paraphrase...

The biggest thing that bothers me about all this is the customer community "we will pay as little as we can for every new Ford other than GT500's" and "I want it under invoice mentality." "$10, $20, $25K under MSRP? Whatever we can get." I know the laws of supply and demand, but in the end, it drives away hard working salespeople and dealerships that are willing to work for a low commission to sell the rigs that aren't the cars, trucks, or SUV's of your dreams. It also brings a bit of shadiness to the industry "experts" like Consumer Reports, Kelly Blue Book, etc. that try to teach customers how to get dealers to sell for a loss. I know there are customers on this site. And I hope that you are not offended. But my feedback is that these are good times for car buyers. Dont take too much advantage of dealers in good times or they may all be out of business when there are downturns in the economy. Then who will you buy from.

OK, enough of me being a wise guy. Here's the real issue as I see it. Why is it OK to expect a dealer to sell you a brand new truck or SUV for many thousands below MSRP, but it is not OK for a dealer to expect many thousands above MSRP on a hot product. It can't be a one-way street. If you want a huge discount on slow sellers, we want a huge markup on the hot sellers. That's fair, isn't it?

OK Five Oh B.....you got me. But are you sure you are not a 'Chevy' Dealer in disguise? Maybe you drive a Camaro?....now I am being a wise guy.

But just to let you know, I have bought Fords for years. Committed to Fords true and true. My wife and my current daily drivers are Lincolns and when I bought them , I did not ever expect the Dealer to take a loss. In fact, they showed me the factory invoice and I paid x dollars over that invoice. I do know that they also get money back from Ford in addition to the amount I paid over , so I cut a fair deal with them. Nobody wins when Dealers sell cars or trucks for losses. And nobody , other than the dealer wins when they sell Shelbys for $25K above sticker. All the buyer community wants is a fair deal with an honest, not greedy dealer.

Ford is in overall trouble right now. Why? Various reasons. But I would think that Dealer honest help to those who want a GT500 would assist in the overall cause to bring viability back to Ford.

Bottom line is that I have found a few options on my own with Dealers willing to be reasonable here in the Southeast and will pursue those angles.

There are many hard working people in America that want this car. We simply do not want to get gouged in the process.

Thanks again to all input. Being able to voice your opinions is one of the things that makes this country great.

Dave

OK Five Oh B.....you got me. But are you sure you are not a 'Chevy' Dealer in disguise? Maybe you drive a Camaro?....now I am being a wise guy.

All the buyer community wants is a fair deal with an honest, not greedy dealer. There are many hard working people in America that want this car. We simply do not want to get gouged in the process.

Dave

Hi, Dave. Never worked for a Chevy dealer (just Ford, and only one dealer). I did own a 1972 Chevy Nova once upon a time, though, that I transplanted a 1966 Corvette 427 tri-power V8 into. Modded to about 550hp. Also owned a few other GM products, including a 1968 Pontiac GTO that I owned for 9 years. Lightly massaged to about 425hp.

However, I'm a Ford guy at heart. I've owned three Thunderbirds, six Mustangs, and an assortment of less interesting Fords over the years. I'm such a Mustang fan, that the only tattoo on my body is a Mustang tattoo. I've been longing for a GT500 for the past couple years, but am faced with paying ADM's just like the vast majority of you all, even though I am the SVT Team Leader at the large volume Ford dealership I work for. So, instead of paying an ADM to buy a GT500, I elected to buy a 2007 Mustang GT, which is more within my means. I would have barely been able to afford a GT500 at MSRP, so the ADM's killed my chances of buying one. I'm one of those hard working Americans you mentioned who would like to own a GT500, but I've been priced out of the market like many others.

In reading your comment, it appears that you think an ADM makes a dealer dishonest. Selling a car for MSRP (or less) does not make the dealer honest. If we advertise a car with an ADM, we are being honest with the customer upfront that we intend to make more profit than what the "suggested" price (MSRP) would allow. What makes a dealer dishonest is to promise a certain price to a customer, then back out of the deal later when they think they can get more money from someone else. That's the dealer to steer clear of, and we've had some horror stories to that effect told here at this website over the past two years about this happening.

A successful dealer will offer competitive pricing and price cars to the market. If a slow selling line up (i.e. Ford Expeditions or Ford Freestyles) won't sell at full MSRP, then we mark them down well below MSRP to a price that the market will pay. If that means we lose money on some vehicles to unload them, then so be it; we'll just order fewer of those going forward. Likewise, when we get a hot seller with the demand skewed way above supply, we price them at MSRP or mark them up above MSRP (i.e. GT500) to a price that the market will pay. That's the fundamental truth of how our market-based economy works. It's not dishonest, it's not unethical, it's just how free enterprise works - basic Economics 101 (which was one of dozens of classes I took while earning my BA in Business from the University of Washington in 1991 - go Dawgs!).

On a side note, I believe Ford is doing much better than you might think. Don't let tabloid journalism (even from the mainstream media) lead you to believe that Ford is in dire straits. Ford is building some of the best quality products out there, and is a better product than even Toyota. And, Ford is starting to build some interesting vehicles again that is putting us at the top of the class in many more segments than we could claim even just a few years ago. Ford's turnaround is real and is happening now. Ford is closing about 15% of its dealerships to weed out the really bad dealers. Ford is coming to grips with the reality of overcapacity at the factories by closing unnecessary facilities (painful move, but necessary to remain competitive). Ford is spending more money on R&D to bring better products to market quicker than before. And, hiring Alan Mulally to run Ford may have been one best decisions in Ford's storied history.

But just to let you know, I have bought Fords for years. Committed to Fords true and true. My wife and my current daily drivers are Lincolns and when I bought them , I did not ever expect the Dealer to take a loss. In fact, they showed me the factory invoice and I paid x dollars over that invoice. I do know that they also get money back from Ford in addition to the amount I paid over , so I cut a fair deal with them. Nobody wins when Dealers sell cars or trucks for losses. And nobody , other than the dealer wins when they sell Shelbys for $25K above sticker. All the buyer community wants is a fair deal with an honest, not greedy dealer.

Ford is in overall trouble right now. Why? Various reasons. But I would think that Dealer honest help to those who want a GT500 would assist in the overall cause to bring viability back to Ford.

Bottom line is that I have found a few options on my own with Dealers willing to be reasonable here in the Southeast and will pursue those angles.

There are many hard working people in America that want this car. We simply do not want to get gouged in the process.

Thanks again to all input. Being able to voice your opinions is one of the things that makes this country great.

Dave

actually fords focus sales are up 37%, trucks sales up 20 something percent this year, and even suv sales are up 16%

5 initial quality awards by jd power, and the #1 automaker in the us last year

not to mention it was either the camry or corrolla, by itself had more recalls than the whole ford line last year, and now they are replacing gobs of motors in the new tundra, even though toyota is good at hiding these things, it's still there

actually fords focus sales are up 37%, trucks sales up 20 something percent this year, and even suv sales are up 16%

not to mention it was either the camry or corrolla, by itself had more recalls than the whole ford line last year, and now they are replacing gobs of motors in the new tundra, even though toyota is good at hiding these things, it's still there

Great news for Ford! I do think they are on the road to recovery and glad to see it. I know it has been a tough few years with the losses and plant closings. That had to be very difficult on a lot of people. I do think the quality of Fords are excellent and hope the that buying public will take notice. But it does look like things are improving for Ford.

I have done my best to support the brand over the years myself. Now ready to get a new GT 500! I did find a dealer to order me one.... So on to the waiting part....

Dave

Zan186 keep my # handy........while you your sleeping & dreaming, 9 more GT500's went to good homes here in the Denver area. (2 buy me) There will not be any cars left to buy.

AND PLEASE HURRY I would love to buy you a car, if you can get me MSRP OR UNDER deals.

randy

Sure will, and as I have been waiting patiently the ADM average markup has dropped from 20k over MSRP to 5k over MSRP! I will sleep much better at night knowing the trend of falling prices is right around the corner. Hell in late November I am sure I will be giving you a buzz at least once or twice!

My dream car is already in my garage! (2002 Final Edition Dodge Viper). But like all things we humans are greedy and we want more. The GT500 for me is gonna be my daily driver along with my Jeep Wrangler (for winter). Question really is how are you going to feel paying $20,000 more for your car to have it 6 months or a year earlier?

Fair? You are kidding, right?

How about the car industry follows the model of 99% of the retail market? There's a price on the car and that's what the price is. That would shut up every anti-ADM person on the board.

Your analogy doesn't work for a lot of people, because a lot people don't want a "huge discount." I want no hassle; I don't want to do the stupid back and forth, "My manager says ..." dance, the financing dance, the "security package is a steal at $600 [but it's really just a locking lug nut] dance ..."

The reason customers fight for discounts is because y'all have designed the system that way. The reason dealers defend it is because they know, on average, they will get customers to pay more than they needed to.

When I heard Saturn was going to do true sticker pricing, I was definitely interested. But the cars never did anything for me, and so I've continued to own Fords.

I'm not saying any dealers in these forums engage in all of these practices, but I get sick of hearing from dealers that they will go out of business if they can't sell with high ADMs; that any customer who pays below MSRP is "ripping the dealer off" when everyone knows the MSRP game is designed to start the dealer off with a generous profit. I find it incredibly dubious the customers are so crafty they are continually getting dealers to sell "below profit." Regardless of the "evil" Consumer Reports, Edmunds, et. al. The fact dealers complaining the loudest are still in business makes me believe I'm on the right track.

I worked for a Ford supplier for years --- and I loved the X-plan --- but if there was an X+ plan that didn't have the discount but could still avoid the dancing; I'd be all over it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all -

I have been waiting patiently for the prices to go down on the Shelby's and now ready to get going on an '08 GT500.

I was hoping someone on this Forum would have a line on a good dealer that would be willing to sell for MSRP. It looks like MSRP is attainable by some of the posts.

Looking for fully loaded Vapor silver with black stripes. I live in north Atlanta, GA so hoping to find one close by.

Any leads on a dealer are appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

I have allocation for one more 2008 model that is not sold. We have be getting $10K over for the ones (4) we have sold already. three 2007 models and will deliver the first of two 2008 models in about a week or 10 days. It's on the way.

Bud

Bud@fishervincentford.com

I completely agree Dave

In an age where the Ford Corp is struggling to keep its head above water, dealers should be willing to do whatever it takes to earn and keep loyal customers. Yet things like this are going on. I too understand about supply vs. demand, blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying its wrong, but it leaves a taste in my mouth that one would describe as dog crap. :censored:

IT IS A SUPPLY AND DEMAND ISSUE PERIOD. There are more people that want to buy this car for MSRP than Ford is making...PERIOD. Therefore you have to allocate the cars. How else do you decide who gets one? At the end of the day, the people that want them most will pay the most money. Talk is cheap. You can say you want one really bad, but if you aren't willing to part with the cash, you don't REALLY want it as bad as you say.

That said, everyone's financial circumstances are different. That's not necessarily FAIR, but that's the way the world is and always has been. It's NOT fair that I can't run a 4.4 40, have a 42" vertical and weigh 250 lbs like Brian Urlacher.

The bottom line is you have to allocate too few cars to too many buyers and the best way to do that is the price. It's how we allocate all non-welfare assets in this country, and it's why we have the largest economy in the world. The Soviet union tried allocating resources outside of a market economy and they crumbled. It's proven it just doesn't work well any other way.

How about the car industry follows the model of 99% of the retail market? There's a price on the car and that's what the price is. That would shut up every anti-ADM person on the board.

When I heard Saturn was going to do true sticker pricing, I was definitely interested. But the cars never did anything for me, and so I've continued to own Fords.

I worked for a Ford supplier for years --- and I loved the X-plan --- but if there was an X+ plan that didn't have the discount but could still avoid the dancing; I'd be all over it.

iastatefan, Just so happens that the Ford dealership I work for is one of just a handful of "one-price" dealers. We post our absolute lowest price we'll accept on each and every vehicle everyday - on the windshield and on the web. And we do not negotiate - even a penny! GT500 is the only car we mark up over MSRP, so let's leave it out of the equation. We price everything else anywhere from $99 over invoice to just a few hundred over invoice. Rebates are deducted after that, so customers are typically paying way below invoice after deducting the rebates. And the rigs that we've had on the lot collecting dust for too long get marked down even more - with about 10% of our new Ford inventory priced below invoice.

Ford visits us periodically to see how we are doing with a no-haggle process. They are very curious as we are quite the exception in the car business. We've been doing it this way for about 15 years. Customers absolutely love doing business this way as they know what they are paying upfront and they don't have to do the whole BS and negotiate thing to get a fair, low price. This way of doing business has earned us 12 President's Awards (there are only about two dozen Ford dealers nationwide who have won this many). It keeps our customers very loyal, with repeat and referral business accounting for most of our business. It keeps our salesman sane, with most of our salesmen very tenured at 10-15 years at our dealership (I'm the new guy at just 8 years here). And, of the 150 or so Ford dealers in the Pacific Northwest, we are the 8th largest volume dealer year-to-date (10th in 2006), so we sell a lot of rigs.

OK MR. Car salesman! Get me a GT 500 at MSRP!

I've found a bunch at 5K over, we are getting closer.

:headspin:

Archived