TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wiper arm removal--what's the secret?

I'm working on my son's 06 GT and I've spent more time trying to get the wiper arms off than I did installing all new dash trim! I rented a puller--too big, so I found another one and bought it, no luck. The driver's side is so tight I can barely get the puller in there, but when I turn them on and leave straight up, I can get to it. I've cranked this thing down about as tight as I can and still get no movement.

What's the point? I'm trying to pull the arms off to repaint them and repaint/reblack the plastic cowl parts. Already changed the cabin air filter, just need to figure out how to get those stinking arms off!

Is there a secret to it? Soak them in penetrating oil? What???

Thanks in advance!

:gaah:

They actually make a tool for that, see pic below. $10 at Amazon or your local parts store. A battery terminal puller will also work.

Most of the time brute force will do the job but since its not my car I would not suggest that method.

Whatever you do once you have it off put some anti seize compound on the splines so this wont happen again.

Steve

ww puller.jpg

Thank you all! So far 3 of the 6 auto parts stores in town have nothing like either of those pictured above.......they can have one hear after 1 on Saturday........my only hope is the NAPA store!

Hal, I've removed wiper arms from probably ten cars (over the years) to do exactly what you're wanting to do. Matte black refresh.....

They've not all been EZ to get off, but I've never used any puller. If you remove the nut and the cap, and stand the arm straight up, you can wiggle the arm ever so lightly back and forth (in all directions) with care, and get it loose. Worse case, a small squirt of WD40 down over the splines...... It'll come off.

And as Steve mentioned, a small dab of anti-seize on the splines upon re-install is a good ideer too!

Thank you all! So far 3 of the 6 auto parts stores in town have nothing like either of those pictured above.......they can have one hear after 1 on Saturday........my only hope is the NAPA store!

Ask them for a battery terminal puller. The battery terminal puller I have is from Lisle tools and I believe I purchased it from Sears but that was many years ago when Sears was Sears and not the bankrupt shell it has become.

Steve

Hal, I've removed wiper arms from probably ten cars (over the years) to do exactly what you're wanting to do. Matte black refresh.....

They've not all been EZ to get off, but I've never used any puller. If you remove the nut and the cap, and stand the arm straight up, you can wiggle the arm ever so lightly back and forth (in all directions) with care, and get it loose. Worse case, a small squirt of WD40 down over the splines...... It'll come off.

And as Steve mentioned, a small dab of anti-seize on the splines upon re-install is a good ideer too!

in my experience standing the arm straight up has been the key. the tension the spring puts on it when the arm is down causes most of the difficulty getting it off.