TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2006 Mustang, crazy HP possible lying owner? Worth it or not?

Gingerman

ummm, lots of stuff about this car that begs to be walked away from!

For starters, "Been rebuilt 5 times with all the paperwork" Why has it been rebuilt 5 times? This alone would be enough to walk.

First post says coyote, based on the pics, it's not a 5.0.

Test drive, stuff is falling apart!

And on and on .......

Yeah, looks like it was rode hard and put up wet. If you're looking for a weekend track car maybe, but you can get much better daily drivers for less. There is no way I'd pay 20K for it. Not even 10K. KBB puts a used 2006 GT coupe in excellent condition at well under 10K. This is maybe 5K at best. This is not a low miles car - it's probably all track time and with the engine history, very suspect. Good luck

Edited by twobjshelbys

Looks like quite a monster. I figured that the owner didn't know what he was talking about when he said it had a Coyote. Happens quite a bit with guys like that. It wouldn't be street legal in many states with the factory airbag wheel removed. Make sure that you check on that if you are planning on driving it on the street. Sounds like the cats have also been removed with how it sounds. So probably quite a few emissions issues. There is certainly a ton of money in that car. Good luck. Hope it works out for you. Looks like a fun toy.

Yeah, looks like it was rode hard and put up wet. If you're looking for a weekend track car maybe, but you can get much better daily drivers for less. There is no way I'd pay 20K for it. Not even 10K. KBB puts a used 2006 GT coupe in excellent condition at well under 10K. This is maybe 5K at best. This is not a low miles car - it's probably all track time and with the engine history, very suspect. Good luck

Yeah, it was ridden hard, but still seems solid. It'll be a semi-daily driver at most.

Much better daily driver for less??

Not paying 20k, definitely less.

Have fun with your new toy, but wear a set of ear plugs. After 5 rebuilts, I'm sure number 6 just a matter of time (and fun). ;)​ In the mean time, have fun and enjoy.

It actually isn't too loud, the video didn't catch the audio all too well. Way more quiet than all the freaking ricers around where I live. More than tolerable levels if you don't drive it stupidly.

Only if I was racing, itll be a semi daily with very soft miles being put on it.

Shouldn't need a rebuild right around the corner after I retune it and etc.

I would make sure the most recent rebuild was done with no miles afterwards. The gauge pod happened with mine also, its held on with Velcro, I wouldn't worry much about that, mine was fixed easily. Good luck!!!

Yeah, I have

He retired it to a show car in 2014 and has been trying to sell it since.

3500k miles since last rebuild all to the shows.

Looks like quite a monster. I figured that the owner didn't know what he was talking about when he said it had a Coyote. Happens quite a bit with guys like that. It wouldn't be street legal in many states with the factory airbag wheel removed. Make sure that you check on that if you are planning on driving it on the street. Sounds like the cats have also been removed with how it sounds. So probably quite a few emissions issues. There is certainly a ton of money in that car. Good luck. Hope it works out for you. Looks like a fun toy.

Yeah, seems like it. He doesn't, but yeah with guys like that they dont care.

Yep, ill be putting a OEM wheel back on it with airbag.

I think the cats are gone as well, didn't see any besides pre-cat's, but that isnt a issue in TX. My 4runner has had no cat for 5 years without issues.

Yeah hopefully, it works out well

If anything ill part out stuff I don't want and return it close to a stock Saleen or something.

After I get the steering wheel (He thinks he has it, if not it'll be a negotiating point for me)

Retune it for high pump gas

Back off the boost

Etc

I think itll be a great car, especially for someone like me who doesn't drive hard or race at all.

I did, but that is a gauge pod.

Nothing really mechanically problematic.

More concerned about the actually car

The gauge pod also suffers from some warping due to exposure to the heat of the sun (and that's probably why it's loose as well - the dash surface probably wasn't prepped very well (it's held on with two-sided tape).

The gauge pod also suffers from some warping due to exposure to the heat of the sun (and that's probably why it's loose as well - the dash surface probably wasn't prepped very well (it's held on with two-sided tape).

Yeah, definitely did suffer from heat at some point. Yeah probably not, wont be too hard of a fix though, but everything adds to negotiating points for me.

What part of Texas?

About 30 minutes North of Austin, TX. Basically Copperas Cove, TX.

Yeah, seems like it. He doesn't, but yeah with guys like that they dont care.

Yep, ill be putting a OEM wheel back on it with airbag.

I think the cats are gone as well, didn't see any besides pre-cat's, but that isnt a issue in TX. My 4runner has had no cat for 5 years without issues.

Yeah hopefully, it works out well

If anything ill part out stuff I don't want and return it close to a stock Saleen or something.

After I get the steering wheel (He thinks he has it, if not it'll be a negotiating point for me)

Retune it for high pump gas

Back off the boost

Etc

I think itll be a great car, especially for someone like me who doesn't drive hard or race at all.

I'm confused on why then would you even be considering this car?

I'm confused on why then would you even be considering this car?

Because I like to have nice cars and enjoy modifying them. I may turn it into a show car in the future and repaint it, and make everything pristine.

And I am probably going to start to do weekend racing/track days for fun, although I wouldn't push cars to dangerous levels. And I have a class I'm taking next year for exactly that.

I don't race at the moment, but I am interested in doing it in the future.

What puzzles me are the people who buy cars like this, or a gt500 and then keep it as a garage/trailer queen and rarely ever race or do anything with them.

Because I like to have nice cars and enjoy modifying them. I may turn it into a show car in the future and repaint it, and make everything pristine.

And I am probably going to start to do weekend racing/track days for fun, although I wouldn't push cars to dangerous levels. And I have a class I'm taking next year for exactly that.

I don't race at the moment, but I am interested in doing it in the future.

What puzzles me are the people who buy cars like this, or a gt500 and then keep it as a garage/trailer queen and rarely ever race or do anything with them.

Your not listening the the advice your asking here. If these are your plans/goals, you can certainly get a stock Mustang GT low miles near non-modified for less then what your talking about here.

This particular car has "Money Pit" written all over it. But as others have said, it's your coin do what you want.

To me this car screams problems!

Your not listening the the advice your asking here. If these are your plans/goals, you can certainly get a stock Mustang GT low miles near non-modified for less then what your talking about here.

This particular car has "Money Pit" written all over it. But as others have said, it's your coin do what you want.

To me this car screams problems!

I am listening, I just need proof and reasoning.

I know I could get a stock low mile car, but it would be about the same price. Im seeing 9k to 30k for other 06's under 50k miles, and a gt500 would be more.

Why does it have money pit written all over it? Parts are good parts and seem to be in good condition? And rebuilds are not really bad thing right?

Why does it scream problems?

I have a 2010 GT twin turbo car with 6700 miles that I bought at Barrett Jackson a few years ago. It has 505 rwhp with the dyno sheets and all the paperwork with the parts. It is just up the road in Bandera, Tx. I would sell that car for just over 20K. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Canada this afternoon.

I have a 2010 GT twin turbo car with 6700 miles that I bought at Barrett Jackson a few years ago. It has 505 rwhp with the dyno sheets and all the paperwork with the parts. It is just up the road in Bandera, Tx. I would sell that car for just over 20K. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to Canada this afternoon.

Sounds like a MUCH better car and deal for the situation.

Ok see you in Nova Scotia...lets say 3:00pm.

Yeah, definitely did suffer from heat at some point. Yeah probably not, wont be too hard of a fix though, but everything adds to negotiating points for me.

About 30 minutes North of Austin, TX. Basically Copperas Cove, TX.

I'm in san Antonio - maybe we'll see each other at Cars and Coffee... :)

I do.

Cool.. my wife works for NuStar here in Nova Scotia...they bought a refinery here but use it as a crude storage and gas blending facility..we take in the biggest crude ships in the world and

smaller tankers come from the East coast of the US where the huge ships can't go and the small tankers take the crude and gas to the US refineries...like New Jersey and Baltimore and several

other ports along the East coast of the US.

a few ports

Cool.. my wife works for NuStar here in Nova Scotia...they bought a refinery here but use it as a crude storage and gas blending facility..we take in the biggest crude ships in the world and

smaller tankers come from the East coast of the US where the huge ships can't go and the small tankers take the crude and gas to the US refineries...like New Jersey and Baltimore and several

other ports along the East coast of the US.

a few ports

I am a oil and gas rat myself. I supply heavy equipment to the rigs, batteries and refineries. There are several nu star facilities around Texas. Edited by boom!

HUGE DISCOVERY-

While researching the car even more thoroughly I found he isn't the original owner and it brings everything into to question.

THIS IS THE SAME CAR IN THIS POST

Owned by Justin Brockmeyer

If anyone has any info on the car or original owner or any other input let me know!