TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2006 Mustang, crazy HP possible lying owner? Worth it or not?

Gingerman

I have mainly been looking for a Shelby GT500 to buy as a daily driver, but recently I came across a 2006 mustang that peaked my interest due to the mods on it.
I am not sure if the car is worth the 20k he is asking for it, and I am suspicious of all the claims. I am not sure if I would rather have it or a Shelby GT500 I have been looking for (2013/14, unless another catches my eye).

I especially do not really believe the dyno claims.

It is a 2006 Mustang

GT trim level

45k miles

Claimed dyno specs-

870 WHP

1100 BHP

735 lb-ft Torque

Mods, done by Roush-

V8 5.0L Coyote w/Saleen Series VI SC

Dual 80mm Roush Throttle Body

120mm Lighting Mass Air Intake

Roush Short Throw 5-spd Transmission

GT500 fuel injectors, he said 39 lb/hr, 45 lb/hr, and 85 lb/hr so I have no clue which it actually is, most recent ad is 85 so I am assuming he swapped them.

Bassani long-tube headers
Bassani X-shape crossover, high-flow cats, and Bassani after-cat with race mufflers

I am supposed to go test drive it this next weekend.

OP, did you not like the answers you received on the other Mustang boards?

The cars owner claims he has over $200k into the car but is going to sell it to the OP for $20k and the OP just doesn't know if its worth it.

Did you find the car for sale on Craigslist?

Hmmmm.......................

Just asking around

I dont know if it is worth it, or real.

I found the car for sale on CL, but originally through a mutual friend of me and the owner.

Drive it!

I have a buddy who has a 2016 Mustang GT and is at the 750+ rwhp. It's a beast over 4000 rpm and a bear to drive under 3000 rpm. He hates it because it has lost most of it's streetabilty. He could have bought a 13-14 GT-500 for less than he has in it and got another 150 rwhp for just a little more.

So many things wrong with the description I would run. First, the Saleen series VI supercharger is built for the 4.6 engine, not the Coyote. Saleen is now on their 8th generation supercharger for their new Coyote powered Mustangs. It is a Kenne Bell based unit. So seriously doubt that this car has a Coyote engine in it. Why ask here if you haven't even looked at the car yet? As other's said, get the dyno sheets, talk to the builder and who tuned it to validate the HP claims. If you like it buy it. If you want a Shelby, buy a Shelby.

Mike.."cobraracing" on this site should chime in here...his GT500 is putting out 755rwhp and 687rwtq and he's built the engine from the ground up with a big KB SC'r

there's quite a bit of mods that went into his engine so I doubt that this claimed hp of this coyote with that SC'r is accurate.

So many things wrong with the description I would run. First, the Saleen series VI supercharger is built for the 4.6 engine, not the Coyote. Saleen is now on their 8th generation supercharger for their new Coyote powered Mustangs. It is a Kenne Bell based unit. So seriously doubt that this car has a Coyote engine in it. Why ask here if you haven't even looked at the car yet? As other's said, get the dyno sheets, talk to the builder and who tuned it to validate the HP claims. If you like it buy it. If you want a Shelby, buy a Shelby.

Yeah, true. Me as well.

I am trying to find out more about it, not familiar with 2006 mustangs.

Ill get the sheets and info Saturday and post back with what I find out.

At this point i am just curious about what the hell is actually going on with the car.

Ill probably be sticking with a 13/14 Shelby.

The only way id consider getting this car is IF my mechanic okays its good to go, I really like it a lot, and I can get it for cheap (he is already reduced offer to 18k on it, so maybe ill go for 15k or less)

Id use it as a toy at that point.

It would put me back 6 months to year on buying a 13/14 Shelby, but if it's a fun toy ill get it.

Mike.."cobraracing" on this site should chime in here...his GT500 is putting out 755rwhp and 687rwtq and he's built the engine from the ground up with a big KB SC'r

there's quite a bit of mods that went into his engine so I doubt that this claimed hp of this coyote with that SC'r is accurate.

Yeah, im guessing it is actually around 600HP tops. Depending on what the injectors and parts actually are. 39/45/89 lb injectors are very different.

Yeah, true. Me as well.

I am trying to find out more about it, not familiar with 2006 mustangs.

Ill get the sheets and info Saturday and post back with what I find out.

At this point i am just curious about what the hell is actually going on with the car.

Ill probably be sticking with a 13/14 Shelby.

The only way id consider getting this car is IF my mechanic okays its good to go, I really like it a lot, and I can get it for cheap (he is already reduced offer to 18k on it, so maybe ill go for 15k or less)

Id use it as a toy at that point.

It would put me back 6 months to year on buying a 13/14 Shelby, but if it's a fun toy ill get it.

Sounds good. Now Saleen did build what they called an H302 (with a 3 valve engine) with the series VI Supercharger that put out about 670 HP. So it's possibly built up from that, but I wouldn't think that Roush would have done any of the work. So if it has a 5.0 in it, I would guess that it is this three valve, not a Coyote. But you never know. Sounds like the owner does not really know what it is and mixing his stories up. So just make sure there are receipts and paperwork for everything. Never know, might be a cool toy like you say. Good luck. Report back to us what you learn.

A 670hp 4.6 3V is a time bomb waiting to go off. Conventional wisdom was to keep it under 625 (crank) on factory internals. More if you went with forged innards. But to do that you'd just as well buy an aluminator as the price isn't much different and you get something that can actually take the abuse.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Sounds good. Now Saleen did build what they called an H302 (with a 3 valve engine) with the series VI Supercharger that put out about 670 HP. So it's possibly built up from that, but I wouldn't think that Roush would have done any of the work. So if it has a 5.0 in it, I would guess that it is this three valve, not a Coyote. But you never know. Sounds like the owner does not really know what it is and mixing his stories up. So just make sure there are receipts and paperwork for everything. Never know, might be a cool toy like you say. Good luck. Report back to us what you learn.

Will do

The owner claims he has over $200,000 in the car. It was on Craigslist a year ago for $75k according to another Mustang forum and now the seller is willing to sell it for $18k..........................

Somethings not right. Just sayin.

I agree

Ill find out what's going on Saturday and post back here

Something smells fishy about tyhis one :runaway: !!

Video and pics uploading now.

Seems pretty believable now, and it looks like it's my new toy next month.

He exaggerated the HP more than a bit due to his ego. Only looking at the max peak HP and Torque.

I'm going to contact Roush and talk to them about it as well.

The guy has the money to back it. Been rebuilt 5 times with all the paperwork.

Last rebuild 3500~4000 miles ago. He has receipts for every single thing done.

Gonna take a whole day to go through everything.

No doubt about it though, it is a badass ride.

Going to try to ID every single part currently in it and get that straighten out as well.

I am going to have it re-tuned and backed down everything to make it a semi/daily driver that is a cool ride for car meets/shows.

Edited by Gingerman

At the moment we have made a deal, and the car will be my toy soon.

With conditions that is
Basically, everything has to check out and pass my 3-page check list on it I compiled based on everyone's post and my mechanic

Edited by Gingerman

ummm, lots of stuff about this car that begs to be walked away from!

For starters, "Been rebuilt 5 times with all the paperwork" Why has it been rebuilt 5 times? This alone would be enough to walk.

First post says coyote, based on the pics, it's not a 5.0.

Test drive, stuff is falling apart!

And on and on .......

ummm, lots of stuff about this car that begs to be walked away from!

For starters, "Been rebuilt 5 times with all the paperwork" Why has it been rebuilt 5 times? This alone would be enough to walk.

First post says coyote, based on the pics, it's not a 5.0.

Test drive, stuff is falling apart!

And on and on .......

Well, he does have all the paperwork. Every single receipt, had a huge folder full when I went yesterday. Getting copies of them all to look thoroughly through them and also check for fakes.

It has been rebuilt because it was used for track days, drag, and standing miles and the owner has the money to throw away.

You're right the engine isn't a 5.0 yote.

The owner doesn't know everything in it really, he just a really rich guy with a massive ego and the money back it.

Ill have to look at receipts and talk to my mechanic to determine current parts.

I did test drive it myself and also did a short ride along up the street for video footage in the other reply.

Car seems to be very solid, after the 10-minute test drive.

Why do you think is falling apart? Something I missed??

Anything you can think of let me know, because I will check it myself since I am still on the fence and things are still in question.