TEAM SHELBY FORUM

exhaust issue

have an issue with my exhaust pipe towards the rear slipping apart from the x pipe, thinking the butt joint band clamp dance isn't working anymore

i-pSJ4CPp-M.jpg

i-SJ6tBXZ-M.jpg

Decided to weld in these Magna Flow Stainless Ball Flanges

i-8vR9J8P-L.jpg

Great solution! I had to replace the Ford clamps once. My thought is the ends of the x pipe and tail pipe get crimped down so much over time that they lose their shape enough to cause them to slip. I was thinking of welding that area but your solution is much better!

Great solution! I had to replace the Ford clamps once. My thought is the ends of the x pipe and tail pipe get crimped down so much over time that they lose their shape enough to cause them to slip. I was thinking of welding that area but your solution is much better!

Not a cheap solution for sure but in my mind one that also allows changes if need be. Welded the entire exhaust in my sons jeep, will not do that again.....

I just had to replace my clamps too. One of the bolts threads wound up stripping from over tightening and rust, and it kept coming apart. I got a brand new set of (2) from the Shelby auctions ebay site for $19.99 + $10 shipping, which was a steal since my local dealership wanted $69 a piece ,and the cheapest I found online was 54 a piece + shipping from a dealer in FL.

I also noticed that when I installed my LT headers and catted X pipe that the exhaust actually didn't reach as far back any longer. The tips are almost even with the rear valance now whereas when I had the Shelby installed x pipe with the stock exhaust manifolds the tips stuck out about 2 inches more than they do now.

I definitely would not want to weld them in place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So I've had the clamps for well over a year and finally got around to taking it in to a shop for the install. Local Meineke that did a great job building a dual system on my 03 F150 did the work and they did a good job. Pricey at $220 but no more rattles and no more stupid band clamps. 

clamps2.JPG

clamps1.JPG

8 hours ago, slbgtsc said:

So I've had the clamps for well over a year and finally got around to taking it in to a shop for the install. Local Meineke that did a great job building a dual system on my 03 F150 did the work and they did a good job. Pricey at $220 but no more rattles and no more stupid band clamps. 

clamps2.JPG

clamps1.JPG

cool, definitely the way to go

Thanks for showing the way!! Kick myself for not getting it done sooner. I've had it scheduled like 3-4 times but the weather would turn bad or something would come up. I was always worried at the track that one of the band clamps would come loose at high speed and dump the tail pipe into to pavement causing who knows how much damage to the underside of the car. I actually put a clamp and bracket around the pipe and attached it to the bolts holding my drive shaft loop in place. Gave me some sense of security. No more worries or rattles.