TEAM SHELBY FORUM

66 Shelby GT350H to go with my GT-H?

06H014

Hello everyone. I wasn't too sure where to put this post, but since I have a 2006 GT-H (#14) I threw it in this area.

I may have the opportunity to purchase a 1966 Shelby GT350H replica, tribute, clone (whatever you want to call it). It is in great shape, well-cared for, etc. So much so, that people have asked the guy if it's for sale, thinking it's a real one. I would never try to pass it off as a true GT350H (and neither does he) but I think it would be really neat to have "the old" and "the somewhat new" to take to car shows. (Then I'll just have to somehow get a 2016 to complete the trilogy.) We parked them next to each other at a big car show on Mustang night last summer (pic attached), and people loved seeing both the 1966 Rent-A-Racer with the newer 2006 Rent-A-Racer. My question... what is it worth?

Knowing I'll never be able to afford a real GT350H, I thought this would be a great opportunity. I know the topic of clones, tributes, replicas, generates certain opinions, especially when trying to determine the value of those categories of cars. Curious as to what you guys might think about it.

Thanks,

Dave

twoGTHs.jpg

Value is determined by much more then a single pic. It's tough to tell as further inspection is necessary. Way too many of these classics have the outer appearance of a "perfect" car.

Pics from restoration activities, receipts, inspection, etc.... would be necessary for an accurate assessment.

+1 The value depends on the quality of work and cost of modifying a 66 Mustang fastback to look like a nice GT350H. There are a number of comparison sales of Shelby clones to evaluate. Asking price is not the final indicator to look for when shopping. Find out the actual sale price with a number of similar cars done on the same level of detail.

It sounds like you will have an excellent fleet when the collection is complete. The hard part is going to be giving each car equal attention!

Thanks for the input so far. Certainly I know condition, build quality etc. plays a part in it. I was more trying to determine if I should base potential value compared to a regular '66 fastback, and either add or subtract $$$. Is it worth more than a '66 fastback because of the mods and work done to it to make it look like a Hertz? Or is it worth less because it's not an original-condition fastback?

If the car is a perfectly and fully restored 66 FB, modifications decrease collector value. However, sometimes, non-collector buyers will see more value in a nicely modified FD, especially if it is GT350/350H replica over a standard 66 FB because of the cost of the modifications and knowing the cost of a real original GT350/350H. I would certainly expect that the donor 66 be at least an original V8 (code C, A or K). A modified 6 cyl. has lots of suspension and drivetrain changes that are necessary and usually make it a costly modification to do correctly and safely. If it is a K code with the original HIPO, the numbers can jump, though, if it were me, I would never modify any original K code Mustang due to its originality value. If it is a K code with an original HIPO C4 trans, even more so due to rarity. Most good replicas that I have seen were built to look good and run exceptionally well. Many have later 302 blocks with roller cams and MSD type ignition for reliability, as well as upgraded trans (5 speed stick or 4 speed auto) with rebuilt 9 inch rear. The average car show viewer has no clue or adverse comment. They will like it just as much as you do. Just do not put a Shelby American tag on the fender. please!

Find out what has been done to the suspension, engine and drive train as that affects price a lot more than putting aftermarket look-alike parts on the Mustang. And as with any car purchase, make sure you drive it and like it! Price is almost always negotiable as long as you do not have that hungry look in your eyes!