TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exclusive dealership has GT350

Ah, comprende!

Btw, is that your GO '500, Chris? Did you find an MSRP deal? Did I visit the moon and miss that? Do I sound like poop dog? ;)

That was the SAI shot of the SS, and I re-cast it to look Grabber Orange :wub: I believe it may be Amy's car, but it's not confirmed...

No ride yet, but I will let you know when it happens. I think it won't be too much longer now... :spiteful: Thanks for asking!!!

I doubt that's his....I see visual cues of a GO Super Snake there....and I don't think ANYONE has one of those quite yet (maybe a prototype?).

AD

If there's a way for crispy to get a SS...he'll do it.

Correct...and CORRECT!!!! You must have heard my sickness all the way out here! :hysterical: I am leaning heavily toward GO, but I like Vapor, too. I think GO will win, especially after the Photoshop Amy posted. Ohhhh YEAH!!!!! Now I need a 'chop of a 'vert!!!

post-140-1183218385_thumb.jpg

post-140-1183218385_thumb.jpg

That was the SAI shot of the SS, and I re-cast it to look Grabber Orange :wub: I believe it may be Amy's car, but it's not confirmed...

No ride yet, but I will let you know when it happens. I think it won't be too much longer now... :spiteful: Thanks for asking!!!

Correct...and CORRECT!!!! You must have heard my sickness all the way out here! :hysterical: I am leaning heavily toward GO, but I like Vapor, too. I think GO will win, especially after the Photoshop Amy posted. Ohhhh YEAH!!!!! Now I need a 'chop of a 'vert!!!

Hope you get one soon, Chris!! ;)

thanks, Dave, I knew that's an SS :doh: <lol> but thought Chris might have scored a GO and was posting his SS dream car. :happy feet:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think we will see Grabber Orange as an official Shelby GT or GT 350 color. The reason is in the history of the color. Grabber Orange is the old Parnelli Jones color from the Bud Moore stable of Mustangs. Bud Moore was in competition with Shelby in 68-69 and maybe 70. Then Ford gave the contract to Bud Moore only for Trans-Am racing. I don't think Shel will honor those colors by making an official vehicle such as the 350. The only reason the 500 has the color is because it is not made by Shel but rather by SVT and it can be any Mustang color. Shel just puts his name on it. After all Ford owns the copyright to the name Cobra.

I have started to rattle a few cages at the local dealership about a Boss, he who hollers first you know.

Tell 'em it's a just tape-&-sticker high-volume production car -- so no ADMs ...you just want oneas a daily-driver for nostalic reasons :devil: :hysterical:

I don't think we will see Grabber Orange as an official Shelby GT or GT 350 color. The reason is in the history of the color. Grabber Orange is the old Parnelli Jones color from the Bud Moore stable of Mustangs. Bud Moore was in competition with Shelby in 68-69 and maybe 70. Then Ford gave the contract to Bud Moore only for Trans-Am racing. I don't think Shel will honor those colors by making an official vehicle such as the 350. The only reason the 500 has the color is because it is not made by Shel but rather by SVT and it can be any Mustang color. Shel just puts his name on it. After all Ford owns the copyright to the name Cobra.

See the post in the Shelby GT General forum about the row of Grabber Orange cars sitting in the SAI parking lot.

I have just read it and it would appear I was wrong. But then again Ole Shel would sell anything for money. He already sold the cobra emblem and name. I did not think he would go with the old Parnelli Jones colors but it appears I am wrong. It also shows that a group can get together and place a minimum order and shel will make it, for a price. Even though they stated all would be vista blue. So much for their statements. It looks like all deals are off and all options, for a price, are on the table.

Maybe it is time for a special stangsunleashed color combination. Someone from the website needs to contact Amy and ask for a special commerative model and guarantee at least 300 or so models. Do you think you could get everyone to agree on a color combination for a GT? Here goes, I vote for white with blue stripes. Shelby GT/SU. Okay moderator, you got that ball now run. This could truly be a collectors item in the future due to the limited production.

I have just read it and it would appear I was wrong. But then again Ole Shel would sell anything for money. He already sold the cobra emblem and name. I did not think he would go with the old Parnelli Jones colors but it appears I am wrong. It also shows that a group can get together and place a minimum order and shel will make it, for a price. Even though they stated all would be vista blue. So much for their statements. It looks like all deals are off and all options, for a price, are on the table.

That is way the capitalistic system works. BTW, I am easy, but not cheap :hysterical2:

Okay Moderator. May I suggest a limited edition Stangs Unleashed Shelby GT in 2008. This would be the GT/SU model. I also suggest a color of white with blue stripes or blue with white stripes. Stangs unleasehed should be able to come up with at least 300 persons that would buy and these would be all over the country rather than just in Southern California. That would make each unit even more collectible being dispersed throughout the country rather than localized in Southern Cal. What does everyone think? And for suggesting the idea I would of course ask to have number 1. Okay moderator, the ball is yours!

Come on, now... you don't know ol' Shel and wht he'd sell for money, do you? Not meaning to pick on you but do paint a very mercinary picture. Remember, when Ford started courting CS 6-7 years ago, his business was in terible shape. When Amy took over they were millions (and not a few) in the hole with orders i hand for CS Shelbys and no money to buy the parts! Even during his darkest years he's supported the CS childrens fund and even back in the '60s was trying to do good for kids in poor rural Texas.

And what cobra emblem and name are you talking about? Ford and CS share ownership of "Cobra" ...Shelby owns the vintage usage of it and Ford owns the modern usage (Amy stated this on the SA website some time ago). Shelby licenses GTnnn and use of his name on the cars and Ford contractually pays him for that.

If you ask Amy she'll likely share what she can about that -- she has in the past on the SA forums. If you're going to rag on the ol' man you should be sure it's the truth. I think CS was doing what he needed to survive. The realtionship with Ford was his bluebird -- his trip back from almost certain bankrupsy if Ford hadn't been so interested in courting CS and reinvigorating the historical partnership.

If you know better on this, please fill us in.

Come on, now... you don't know ol' Shel and wht he'd sell for money, do you? Not meaning to pick on you but do paint a very mercinary picture. Remember, when Ford started courting CS 6-7 years ago, his business was in terible shape. When Amy took over they were millions (and not a few) in the hole with orders i hand for CS Shelbys and no money to buy the parts! Even during his darkest years he's supported the CS childrens fund and even back in the '60s was trying to do good for kids in poor rural Texas.

And what cobra emblem and name are you talking about? Ford and CS share ownership of "Cobra" ...Shelby owns the vintage usage of it and Ford owns the modern usage (Amy stated this on the SA website some time ago). Shelby licenses GTnnn and use of his name on the cars and Ford contractually pays him for that.

If you ask Amy she'll likely share what she can about that -- she has in the past on the SA forums. If you're going to rag on the ol' man you should be sure it's the truth. I think CS was doing what he needed to survive. The realtionship with Ford was his bluebird -- his trip back from almost certain bankrupsy if Ford hadn't been so interested in courting CS and reinvigorating the historical partnership.

If you know better on this, please fill us in.

From what I have read, for many years, all the way back to the 60's Ole Shel was always a little bit of a racer and a little bit of snake oil salesman (no pun intended). He did sell the cobra name back in the early 70s to Ford. Ford has to use the name every x number of years or they lose the patent. That is why we even saw a cobra Mustang II.

Yes Ole Shel has been generous to the Children's Heart Foundation.

But we really can't call these Shelby's since all Shel does is put on FRPP parts at his shop, tape stripes, badges and emblems. It is not like he designed the cars as in the old days with Pete Brock. The Shelby GT is a win-win for Ford and Shelby. They need each other. Ford wants a reputation of fast cars and Shel provides the mystique and reputation to go with that.

I will state again that there should be a stangs unleashed limited edition Shelby GT. I think Shel would sell it as long as he made a profit. I am not condemning the man for being a capitalist. Rather I salute him for his ingenuity with the AC Cobra 42 years ago. He never received near the money he shoudl have from that program and all the replicas made today. We will all be at a loss when Shel passes someday. I would imagine they would try to continue the business but it would not be the same without the legend in the black hat! Again, there was no intent to disparage Shel. But they have told us that there would only be 2100 2008 models and all in blue. Obviously this is not the case. Ford does own the rights to the name Cobra but not the Shelby name.

From what I have read, for many years, all the way back to the 60's Ole Shel was always a little bit of a racer and a little bit of snake oil salesman (no pun intended). He did sell the cobra name back in the early 70s to Ford. Ford has to use the name every x number of years or they lose the patent. That is why we even saw a cobra Mustang II.

Yes Ole Shel has been generous to the Children's Heart Foundation.

But we really can't call these Shelby's since all Shel does is put on FRPP parts at his shop, tape stripes, badges and emblems. It is not like he designed the cars as in the old days with Pete Brock. The Shelby GT is a win-win for Ford and Shelby. They need each other. Ford wants a reputation of fast cars and Shel provides the mystique and reputation to go with that.

I will state again that there should be a stangs unleashed limited edition Shelby GT. I think Shel would sell it as long as he made a profit. I am not condemning the man for being a capitalist. Rather I salute him for his ingenuity with the AC Cobra 42 years ago. He never received near the money he shoudl have from that program and all the replicas made today. We will all be at a loss when Shel passes someday. I would imagine they would try to continue the business but it would not be the same without the legend in the black hat! Again, there was no intent to disparage Shel. But they have told us that there would only be 2100 2008 models and all in blue. Obviously this is not the case. Ford does own the rights to the name Cobra but not the Shelby name.

You had me worried there for a minute ;) Thanks for your honest response.

Ford owns Cobra in the modern context and Sheby owns it in the vintage context. They're trademarks (no patents).

Yeah, I hear you on the putting the parts together ...it's really an aftermarket shop -- very different business than Saleen or Roush but, who knows, that could change over time.

I think you're right that CS never got what he deserved on the Cobras.

I think the business will live on after CS but surely he will be missed -- it will never really be the same without him, but I hope SA prospers and keeps building their skills ..maybe moving into racing again and possibly moving into more serious builds. Maybe the GT350 will be the Shelby version based off the pieces Ford develops with SVT/FRP for the Boss. A lot of potential offerings and racing tie-ins.

The world is changing -- I think the manufacturers will all be working with the aftermarket much more closely based on the mustang 'model' and how it's become the darling of the aftermarket. Roush and Saleen are supposedly looking at doing their traditional magic for GM/DCX now too. Seems capitalism trumps loyalty every time these days.

Dan

You had me worried there for a minute ;) Thanks for your honest response.

Ford owns Cobra in the modern context and Sheby owns it in the vintage context. They're trademarks (no patents).

Yeah, I hear you on the putting the parts together ...it's really an aftermarket shop -- very different business than Saleen or Roush but, who knows, that could change over time.

I think you're right that CS never got what he deserved on the Cobras.

I think the business will live on after CS but surely he will be missed -- it will never really be the same without him, but I hope SA prospers and keeps building their skills ..maybe moving into racing again and possibly moving into more serious builds. Maybe the GT350 will be the Shelby version based off the pieces Ford develops with SVT/FRP for the Boss. A lot of potential offerings and racing tie-ins.

The world is changing -- I think the manufacturers will all be working with the aftermarket much more closely based on the mustang 'model' and how it's become the darling of the aftermarket. Roush and Saleen are supposedly looking at doing their traditional magic for GM/DCX now too. Seems capitalism trumps loyalty every time these days.

Dan

A couple of things I would like to add here:

1) Back in the 60's Shelby was doing the same thing he is now: adding performance parts to a regular production car. Even with the A/C Cobra, the car started out as an English car, they put in a 289 ci HiPo and modified the suspension. In essence, he was an early tuner backed by a mfr. Then they raced these successfully.

As far as all the other models:

GT350-- Same thing. Cars were shipped with the HiPo engine upgrade from Ford to be completed at Shelby's shop, under licensing agreement from Ford;

GT350R-- Same thing, but stripped down and the engines were beefed up;

GT350H-- Same thing, but under agreement from Hertz;

Terlingua-- Shelbys Race cars, not for public consumption;

GT500-- Same thing. Cars were shipped with the 428 engine upgrade from Ford to be completed at Shelby's shop, under licensing agreement from Ford;

While the GT500 is like the latter GT500s ('mid-'67 and up) and are wholly produced @ FoMoCo under license by Shelby, the KR, the SS, the Shelby GT and the :censored: are or will be produced under license at SAI, just like in the old days, and not at Ford.

Does this make the GT500 a lesser car? IMO, it does not. Is it more "common"? Yes. Does it kick a$$? Yes.

So, bear in mind that SAI is repeating history, and we are all fortunate enough to be part of it!

2) Shelby WILL NOT sell anything for a buck. Whether or not you applaud him for it (69dejavue), this is not the case. You have to trust me on this one, guys. Great stuff is coming down the pipe. ;)

You also have to remember that the Shelby GT is a brand new model. This model was created, in part, because there was no "entry level" Shelby that was affordable to the fans who could not afford a GT500 (there were many, and Shelby heard from them). At the time, some complained about the limited availability of colors, and that there was no convertible (me, especially :hysterical: ). So, they responded to market demand and built a short run of convertibles & coupes this year. Again, in 2 colors-- but new colors to address the fans who wanted more.

Since the Shelby GT is not a historical model, there is a little more freedom with the colors. The fact that they are making a very short run of Grabber Orange cars (and 500 of each color 'vert) is GREAT, IMO. This is what made the Shelby's of yore very interesting-- there were all kinds of niche models, and some were VERY RARE.

Will there be a SU edition? Not in 1,000 years. Nor will there be a New England edition, a New York Yankees edition, or an Eddie Bauer edition.

Amy B. and the gang are very aware of the history and are doing their very best to honor it. No one is selling out for a buck.

If they were, there would be a GT350 out already--but there is not. If they build one, they are going to honor the original '350, believe me. So, before you say more about THE MAN and THE COMPANY, think about what I have written here.

It's history repeating itself. It's all true. And we are lucky enough to get to do it all over again!!!!!

~Crispy

A couple of things I would like to add here:

1) Back in the 60's Shelby was doing the same thing he is now: adding performance parts to a regular production car. Even with the A/C Cobra, the car started out as an English car, they put in a 289 ci HiPo and modified the suspension. In essence, he was an early tuner backed by a mfr. Then they raced these successfully.

As far as all the other models:

GT350-- Same thing. Cars were shipped with the HiPo engine upgrade from Ford to be completed at Shelby's shop, under licensing agreement from Ford;

GT350R-- Same thing, but stripped down and the engines were beefed up;

GT350H-- Same thing, but under agreement from Hertz;

Terlingua-- Shelbys Race cars, not for public consumption;

GT500-- Same thing. Cars were shipped with the 428 engine upgrade from Ford to be completed at Shelby's shop, under licensing agreement from Ford;

While the GT500 is like the latter GT500s ('mid-'67 and up) and are wholly produced @ FoMoCo under license by Shelby, the KR, the SS, the Shelby GT and the :censored: are or will be produced under license at SAI, just like in the old days, and not at Ford.

Does this make the GT500 a lesser car? IMO, it does not. Is it more "common"? Yes. Does it kick a$$? Yes.

So, bear in mind that SAI is repeating history, and we are all fortunate enough to be part of it!

2) Shelby WILL NOT sell anything for a buck. Whether or not you applaud him for it (69dejavue), this is not the case. You have to trust me on this one, guys. Great stuff is coming down the pipe. ;)

You also have to remember that the Shelby GT is a brand new model. This model was created, in part, because there was no "entry level" Shelby that was affordable to the fans who could not afford a GT500 (there were many, and Shelby heard from them). At the time, some complained about the limited availability of colors, and that there was no convertible (me, especially :hysterical: ). So, they responded to market demand and built a short run of convertibles & coupes this year. Again, in 2 colors-- but new colors to address the fans who wanted more.

Since the Shelby GT is not a historical model, there is a little more freedom with the colors. The fact that they are making a very short run of Grabber Orange cars (and 500 of each color 'vert) is GREAT, IMO. This is what made the Shelby's of yore very interesting-- there were all kinds of niche models, and some were VERY RARE.

Will there be a SU edition? Not in 1,000 years. Nor will there be a New England edition, a New York Yankees edition, or an Eddie Bauer edition.

Amy B. and the gang are very aware of the history and are doing their very best to honor it. No one is selling out for a buck.

If they were, there would be a GT350 out already--but there is not. If they build one, they are going to honor the original '350, believe me. So, before you say more about THE MAN and THE COMPANY, think about what I have written here.

It's history repeating itself. It's all true. And we are lucky enough to get to do it all over again!!!!!

~Crispy

I haven't been following this thread until now. I can see the path that SAI is following and I think is is a good one . I know they are carefully considering each move they make while keeping in perspective the rich Shelby history.

Since the GT500 was announnced there has obviously been a greatly renewed interest in all things Shelby .Along with that interest a growing anticipation and expectation of new and better things from them.

We live in an era with a "fast food "type mentality, I want it now and supersize it too .

When it comes to the development and production of these performance cars everyone must learn to be patient but the main thing is wether or not in achieveing their goals SAI insures and maintains the integrity ,quality and sence of history that has been synonyms with the name "Shelby ".

The only thing that I see that is missing here that was at the foundation of all things Shelby is their grass roots involvement in racing. My hope is this will happen again. Nothing gives more creditability and brings more accolades than "racing and winning on Sunday"

If and when the GT350 comes out I hope there is an "R" version built and raced by Shelby , after all isn't that the logical next step allong this new path for SAI.

If the GT350 is built I hope it is with this in mind .

George......

I think the GT350 will need to be a more serious piece than the S-GT. The S-GT is very nice but at 319HP it can't really carry the GT350 stripes, imo (having nothing to do with the number 350) ...and a GT350R needs to be very serious indeed.

I sort of view the GT350[R] and the Boss as both being serious road cars: power, balance and handling. The kind of car that permits even experienced drivers to safely explore their limits because the car works so well as a total package.

I would hope that's SA's goal for a GT350R -- the GT350 having all the same attributes but being a bit more civilized in terms of amenities and power ....and a friendlier price point.

Sort of:

GT350 and Boss ~=~ streetable boyracer

GT350R and Boss-R ~=~ streetable manracer

Dan

• 1 month later...
Great post, I just want to know what "the :censored: " is now :headscratch:

Thanks. I would tell you, but you know what would come next! :hysterical2:

Good reset, Chris ...thanks.

:censored: will be awesome! :spiteful::hysterical: glad I don't know... 'cause I don't wanna die :hysterical2:

Thanks. I don't want to die either!!! :hysterical:

I haven't been following this thread until now. I can see the path that SAI is following and I think is is a good one . I know they are carefully considering each move they make while keeping in perspective the rich Shelby history.

Since the GT500 was announnced there has obviously been a greatly renewed interest in all things Shelby .Along with that interest a growing anticipation and expectation of new and better things from them.

We live in an era with a "fast food "type mentality, I want it now and supersize it too .

When it comes to the development and production of these performance cars everyone must learn to be patient but the main thing is wether or not in achieveing their goals SAI insures and maintains the integrity ,quality and sence of history that has been synonyms with the name "Shelby ".

The only thing that I see that is missing here that was at the foundation of all things Shelby is their grass roots involvement in racing. My hope is this will happen again. Nothing gives more creditability and brings more accolades than "racing and winning on Sunday"

If and when the GT350 comes out I hope there is an "R" version built and raced by Shelby , after all isn't that the logical next step allong this new path for SAI.

If the GT350 is built I hope it is with this in mind .

George......

I agree. Race-built would be great! Let's keep our fingers crossed on that one!

I think of the new Shelby GT as the GT350 since we do have the GT500 available.

Dude. Duuuuuuuuuude. Dude!!!

Have you ridden in a S/C-GT yet???

Very fast, and it handles awesome too! If you ever get the chance for a ride or drive, DO IT!!!! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: DOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!! :devil: You will be converted, I promise!!!

Archived