TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Traction Control "Off" During Clutch Break-In??

Bruce2009KR

I had my local high performance shop install a McLeod RXT clutch in my stock '09 GT-500KR the other week and they advocated I turn off the traction control each time I drive it until I'm past the 500 mile or so break in period. Can someone tell me why? Have you heard this before?

Thanks very much, and for what it's worth, the clutch feels great so far!

• 4 months later...

This falls clearly in the category of "urban legend". There is no way the manufacturer is going to tell you that you have to disable a major safety system during break in. If it were essential they would have made it so the traction control wasn't operable, with a big safety alert, during this period.

This falls clearly in the category of "urban legend". There is no way the manufacturer is going to tell you that you have to disable a major safety system during break in. If it were essential they would have made it so the traction control wasn't operable, with a big safety alert, during this period.

Correct. Bruce did Ford have the traction control turned off for the first 500 miles when your KR was brand new? Nope they sure didn't.

And as already mentioned, traction control either applies the rear brakes or limits the throttle depending on the manufacturer so I'm not sure why your performance shop would say something like that.

You can always call McLeods tech line for their answer. I would be shocked if McLeod would agree with your speed shop.

Steve

it is in the break in directions. It is to help ensure that if the car "over accelerates" during break in, the tires spin rather than being held firm by the brakes as part of traction control. It is all to reduce the risk of the clutch slipping excessively and having the friction material glaze, causing reduced clamping ability. FWIW, just drive cautiously the first few hundred miles and you will be fine. I love my new RXT.

it is in the break in directions. It is to help ensure that if the car "over accelerates" during break in, the tires spin rather than being held firm by the brakes as part of traction control. It is all to reduce the risk of the clutch slipping excessively and having the friction material glaze, causing reduced clamping ability. FWIW, just drive cautiously the first few hundred miles and you will be fine. I love my new RXT.

Ok I'm getting it now, the clutch manufacturer would rather see the tires slip rather than having their clutch slip but doesn't that seem self serving for the clutch manufacturer? When these cars were new Ford didn't seem to think it was an issue so if the clutch is installed properly why is the clutch manufacturer worried about clutch slippage?

And as Tony mentioned, I'm surprised any manufacturer would state in their instructions to disable, what most non-car people would consider, a safety feature of the car. That manufacturer must have a great team of attorneys or likes to roll the dice.

So it appears this turning off the TC suggestion would fall into the personal preference category, each owner will need to make the decision. I believe the last sentence from KCMO-GT500 says it best, just drive cautiously the first few hundred miles and you will be fine.

Steve

That manufacturer must have a great team of attorneys or likes to roll the dice.

Or their lawyers don't read the installation instructions and are going to get a surprise when someone slams into another car and their response as to why the safety devices were disabled is "because the instructions said to".

It really just seems to make much more sense to write some sensible break in instructions (like were in the original car) or to say "don't take the car to the drag strip for 500 miles".

Or their lawyers don't read the installation instructions and are going to get a surprise when someone slams into another car and their response as to why the safety devices were disabled is "because the instructions said to".

It really just seems to make much more sense to write some sensible break in instructions (like were in the original car) or to say "don't take the car to the drag strip for 500 miles".

This reminds me of the airbag recall where some owners have claimed that mechanics have offered to disconnect the airbag for them until a replacement is available. Bad advice in our litigious society.

But then again maybe some lawyers look at it as job security. The more lawsuits filed the more billable hours for them.

Steve